Do sea sickness meds work in Horrible Weather?

CapsR1

Found the regular Bonine tablets at the grocery store tonight .... 16 tablets for $6.49, but didn't buy them yet. They were chewable. Just said less drowsy than dramamine. So, you can get them from behind the counter from the pharmacist? No prescription?

I think it depends upon the state where you reside. I tried to get generic Bonine from a Target pharmacist and she said I needed an RX which I got from my doc; much cheaper that way.

However, others reported that they were able to ask for the generic form (meclazine) and get it from their pharmacist without an RX.

Totally YMMV when going gets bad. For sure you better have taken your meds BEFORE it got bad and even if you did who knows.... :eek:

I've always wondered . . . if you take Bonine, Dramamine or the patch and the ship encounters horrible weather (e.g., swells like the Pride just experienced, or a storm or hurricane type waves); do the meds still help?

Found the regular Bonine tablets at the grocery store tonight .... 16 tablets for $6.49, but didn't buy them yet. They were chewable. Just said less drowsy than dramamine. So, you can get them from behind the counter from the pharmacist? No prescription?

Bonnie is an over the counter drug, just like Tylenol. You can find it just about anywhere. Mezcaline is the generic prescription. You need a prescription from your doctor for this. I've always used the chewable Bonine, and they work great.

I purchased our meclazine (generic Bonine) from Amazon. I think it was about $5. We haven't tried it yet...if you can wait until Nov 28th, I'll let you know how well it worked :)

For the first time in 13 cruises, I thought I'd be smart and take 2 dramamine one morning because we were hitting the roughest seas ever. I wound up sleeping a good part of the day...never again! I was not sick when I took these but thought it would be a great precaution. DUH!

For the first time in 13 cruises, I thought I'd be smart and take 2 dramamine one morning because we were hitting the roughest seas ever. I wound up sleeping a good part of the day...never again! I was not sick when I took these but thought it would be a great precaution. DUH!

That's what I do not like about Dramamine; it tends to make you sleepy.

On the other hand, Bonine, or its generic equivalent (meclazine) does not seem to have the same effect.

I've always wondered . . . if you take Bonine, Dramamine or the patch and the ship encounters horrible weather (e.g., swells like the Pride just experienced, or a storm or hurricane type waves); do the meds still help?

Hi,

if the Sea's are really rough, nothing is going to work. You can take any kind of Motion Sickness Meds as a preventative Measure but if the ship is rocking hard you are out of luck. I hope that your sailing will be a smooth one. Enjoy your Cruise!

Archived