Cruise to Alaska in July 2012, Jewel vs. Pearl?

CT08spec.B

The wife and I are going to be going to Alaska in July on a cruise to Alaska. We understand the Jewel and Pearl are almost identical their trips to Alaska stop at all the same ports however the Jewel goes through Sawyer Glacier and the Pearl through Glacier Bay.

Is there a big difference between the ships besides a couple resturants and them being a year apart? We decided on NCL over Princess as its Freestyle cruising and slightly a younger crowd (even though I hear Alaska cruises are mostly older people).

The Jewel departs Seattle early July and the Pearl later July, does it really matter IYO?

Jay

The main difference is, as you mentioned, Sawyer vs. Glacier Bay. We did the Pearl, and really loved the day in Glacier Bay, but I haven't been to Sawyer, so I can't compare. Also, cruising out of Seattle round-trip was very convenient, but many say it's not as scenic as sailing out of Vancouver..... I still thought it was great, and we were traveling with young kids, so we took convenience over everything else..... but you may want to at least look at some of the ones going out of Vancouver (though this means something other than NCL).

The main difference is, as you mentioned, Sawyer vs. Glacier Bay. We did the Pearl, and really loved the day in Glacier Bay, but I haven't been to Sawyer, so I can't compare. Also, cruising out of Seattle round-trip was very convenient, but many say it's not as scenic as sailing out of Vancouver..... I still thought it was great, and we were traveling with young kids, so we took convenience over everything else..... but you may want to at least look at some of the ones going out of Vancouver (though this means something other than NCL).

We did check the cruise out of Vancouver and it was much more expensive but yes I have also heard the Vancouver cruise is much more scenic. Sawyer Glacier and Glacier bay is just the path the ship cruises through its not different ports from what i was told.

We cruised on the Pearl to Glacier Bay (based on some of the info we got off the Alaska boards) and Glacier Bay was wonderful. And the round trip out of Seattle was very convenient and cheaper than flying into Vancouver. The Jewel and Pearl are very similar and should not effect your decision - we loved both ships.

on google images they do look practically the same, but id give the edge to sawyer glacier, but thats only based on seeing a good photo lol

is there really no difference in jewel and pearl? pick which ever one is the most convinient date for you if theres no difference.

We cruised on the Pearl to Glacier Bay (based on some of the info we got off the Alaska boards) and Glacier Bay was wonderful. And the round trip out of Seattle was very convenient and cheaper than flying into Vancouver. The Jewel and Pearl are very similar and should not effect your decision - we loved both ships.

I was facing this same decision a couple of months ago. We opted for the Jewel, and have already booked what appears to be a great excursion: "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer".

Tom

The prices on the Pearl are $100 more per person and all of the prices in July are basically the same from what I understand. I will talk with the wife and make a decision to see if its worth the extra $200

We have done both. As for the difference in Glacier Bay and Sawyer cruises, Glacier Bay is wonderful as is Sawyer. I don't know how much you plan on spending on excursions, but on the Sawyer cruise you can take one that takes you within a quarter mile of the glaciers, even if the ship can't get in the excursion boats can, plus you get to see all sorts of wildlife up close and personal including the newborn seals on ice floes. and there is a naturalist on board.

The trip is in a boat that has an inside deck and two decks of outside viewing area, inside is heated with almost floor to ceiling windows, outside is not.

They serve hot chocolate, coffee, tea, etc for free with food available for purchase, nice clean restrooms (it is about a 6 hour trip). Plus it is a hoot when the ship comes to pick you up.

They are both great (the ships and the glaciers), and you could not go wrong with either one.

The view is the same on the Jewel as if had left from Vancouver because they cruise to the east of Vancouver Island and the Pearl cruises west of the island - They all go through the same Inside Passage - it the same scenery no matter where you cruise from - all wonderful.

Both ships leave every weekend during the summer, the Jewel departs on Saturdays and the Pearl departs on Sunday.

It is the excursion that Tom-n-Cheryl are taking. As a matter of fact we will taking that excursion again in 2012 on the Jewel. I have pictures of that excursion which I will post the link when I find it.

We are going to book the Jewel because its $100 per person cheaper and we are going to stay the night before we leave Seattle. We figured why go to Seattle and not see the city which we might not see again.

Space Needle and Safeco Field are on my list of things to see

The prices on the Pearl are $100 more per person and all of the prices in July are basically the same from what I understand. I will talk with the wife and make a decision to see if its worth the extra $200

Hey - if you opt for the 6/30/12 Jewel, you can help me out with the roll call for that sailing (as we are the only ones there, LOL)!

Tom

Both ships leave every weekend during the summer, the Jewel departs on Saturdays and the Pearl departs on Sunday.

We preferred the Saturday-Saturday for travel/flight reasons.

It is the excursion that Tom-n-Cheryl are taking. As a matter of fact we will taking that excursion again in 2012 on the Jewel. I have pictures of that excursion which I will post the link when I find it.

Yes, if you can post a link to those pictures, that would be great! I have seen a few - and it looked impressive (nature up close and personal)!

Tom

Having been to Sawyer Glaciers (yes there are two) twice now and getting stopped about a mile away from the main one by ice - I decided to see what Glacier Bay is all about - on the Pearl next June. I am also going to take the smaller boat into Tracy Arm out of Juneau - hoping to see at least one of the Sawyers up close.

As for the ships route - I am not sure what the Jewel is going to do - last season she went between Vancouver island and the mainland between Seattle and Ketchican while the Pearl went around the outside of the island on its way to Juneau - most of this trip is done at night so there is nothing that you would miss, however the ride might be a bit more choppy. Above the island there is a body of open water that both ships cross before diving into the shelter of the inside passage. There is one small island that sort of splits the openings into Juneau and Ketchican - and the ships can either go on the inside or outside of it - beyond this point you are in protected waters with islands on both sides of the ship.

On the return to Victoria both ships take the route around the outside of Vancouver Island. One more thought - the maps in the brochures are approximate - the captain is free to decide which route they are going to take based on seas, weather conditions etc. I have noticed that most of the ship tracking websites do not track very well north of vancouver island - I got alot of "scheduled positions" vs "actual positions" in that area.

I think that the cost differences betweent the two cruises lies in Glacier Bay and the fact that the number of ships allowed in on any give day is limited and perhaps there is even a permit fee that they have to pay (not sure on that).

The AK season for both ships is from May -Sept. It looks like the Pearl will be starting the AK season a couple of weeks earlier than the Jewel - however they will both end the season at the same time. The first and last sailings begin or end in Vancouver - all the others are Seattle to Seattle.

I am sure that you will have a good time no matter which ship you choose.

Hey - if you opt for the 6/30/12 Jewel, you can help me out with the roll call for that sailing (as we are the only ones there, LOL)!

Tom

Tom,

It was an option for us to take the June 30th cruise out of Seattle a couple weeks ago however due to the storm up here in New England my wife (who is a teacher) already needs to make up 6-7 days at the end of the year. With that being said the 30th even being a Saturday school may go into early July so we had to plan the 7th cruise to be safe.

This is the email from my travel agent pricing is fair IMO...

"Okay so I put together some solid information and pricing for the July 7th departure of the Norwegian Jewel for you. So the attached Cruise confirmation is holding for you. We have to deposit on this by tomorrow (11-11) to get the reduced deposit and the $25 On Board Credit. This is a Mid-ship interior (Deck 5). The Cruise line works pre night stays with the Renaissance Seattle which seems like a great option because they include the transfer from the hotel to the Cruise pier and it was only $129.00. You will have to get to the hotel from the airport on your own. The transfer from the Cruise back to the airport if you would like to add it to the package is $25 per person so an additional $50.00 Below is the link to the airfare that I held for you which is only $758.80 for the two of you roundtrip including all tax. So…if you take the price of the attached cruise and pre-night stay and add the airfare and transfer back to the airport at the end of the trip the total cost you are looking at is $3241.88 total for the two of you."

Tom,

It was an option for us to take the June 30th cruise out of Seattle a couple weeks ago however due to the storm up here in New England my wife (who is a teacher) already needs to make up 6-7 days at the end of the year. With that being said the 30th even being a Saturday school may go into early July so we had to plan the 7th cruise to be safe.

This is the email from my travel agent pricing is fair IMO...

"Okay so I put together some solid information and pricing for the July 7th departure of the Norwegian Jewel for you. So the attached Cruise confirmation is holding for you. We have to deposit on this by tomorrow (11-11) to get the reduced deposit and the $25 On Board Credit. This is a Mid-ship interior (Deck 5). The Cruise line works pre night stays with the Renaissance Seattle which seems like a great option because they include the transfer from the hotel to the Cruise pier and it was only $129.00. You will have to get to the hotel from the airport on your own. The transfer from the Cruise back to the airport if you would like to add it to the package is $25 per person so an additional $50.00 Below is the link to the airfare that I held for you which is only $758.80 for the two of you roundtrip including all tax. So…if you take the price of the attached cruise and pre-night stay and add the airfare and transfer back to the airport at the end of the trip the total cost you are looking at is $3241.88 total for the two of you."

By the end of this winter, she may have to make up a lot more!

Good luck ! :)

Tom

We did the Pearl to Glacier Bay in July of last year, and to this day it remains one of our favorite ships, and favorite itineraries.

I've never done Sawyer Glacier, but from what I've read, it does not sound like it would compare to the day spent in Glacier National Park, up close and personal with several large glaciers, and surrounded by breathtaking scenery and wildlife.

If you go on the Pearl to Glacier Bay, I highly recommend a forward facing suite. If the weather cooperates, you will have a front row seat to the most beautiful views, and you'll quickly forget there's a ship with a bunch of people on it behind you!

I was going to book the Jewel today however just for the heck of it I called NCL and asked them the difference between the ships. Yes the Pearl does have a bowling alley and rock climbing wall but the Glacier bay passage you see three more glaciers and you get some tour guide on the ship and also the Jewel has a Nickalodeon* kids program and the Jewel sails through Sawyer Glacier.

I spoke with the wife and if the Jewel is more of a family / kid friendly boat we would rather go on the Pearl. My wife being a teacher the last thing she wants to do on her summer vacation is be around more kids, lol.

Did anyone who has been on both ships even noticed the differences above or am I looking into this too much?

We did the Pearl to Alaska this past summer. DH and I found it amazing. The ship was beautiful, the crew was just wonderful. Even the entertainment on the ship - Sharkbait and Oh What Night were awesome.

I've never seen Sawyer Glacier, so I can't compare it to Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay however was really beautiful.

We have two DDs, both 7. One was okay in the kids club - the other was very bored. There were not a lot of kids their age in the club (most were younger). For my low maintenance DD she was fine just coloring. . the other often called us to get her.

We ended up picking the Jewel for next year for two reasons.

1. We are hoping the Nick Jr. additions will appeal to our children more.

2. The difference in port times.

Have you looked at what excursions you might want to do at each port? As the port times are different. On the Jewel you get more time in Ketchikan and Victoria (which we wanted this time around) but your time in Juneau and Skagway is less. So depending on what activities you want to do/see in the various ports one itinerary may work better for you than the other.

Good luck picking, I can't imagine either being a wrong choice!

Archived