Wheelchair in inside cabin?

sugarking

Noise should not be an issue.

A little cramped for 4, to my mind, but if you were able to get an HC cabin, go for it. HC cabin is a whole lot easier if you need a wheelchair. And if you get to feeling cramped, there's a whole ship to wander thru....

I found that accessible room 9553 is available and I booked it. Has anyone stayed in this room and had noise issues from the elevator next to it?

Congrats on getting the accessible cabin.

We always book cabins close to the elevator to minimize the walking. We never hear loud noises, the elevators are walled off. You are located right near the front elevator tower, which tends to have less traffic.

The RC website talks about special features avaiable in these HC cabins. Anything that isn't obvious in my pictures might be discussed there. I notice that they didn't mention the fact that there is no shelf below the bathroom sink which allows a person in a wheelchair to get real close to the sink. One of my pictures shows this.

Accessible stateroom features:

• Stateroom door width: 32"-34" (vessel-dependent)
  • Bathroom door width: 32"-34" (vessel-dependent)
  • No door sill to get into the stateroom
  • Ramped bathroom thresholds
  • Bathroom grab bars
  • Lowered sink and stateroom vanity
  • Roll-in shower bench
  • Fold-down shower bench
  • Hand-held showerheads
  • Lowered closet rods
  • Refrigerator in stateroom (upon request)
  • Raised toilet seats (17 to 19 inches high; commode chairs available - please request prior to sailing)
  • Accessible balconies (selected staterooms)
  • Lowered safes for easy access (not including Majesty of the Seas and Monarch of the Seas, where safes are located at Guest Relations)

Please note: accessible suites have roll-in showers, not bathtubs.

Our first RCI cruise we had booked a HC Inside but later we saw balcony gauranty for only $80/pp more for the 12nt cruise and switched. We had had a balcony on HAL and figured we could deal with the wheelchair as we had then. Big surprise when we found even small Jr. size my wife uses would not fit through the door. Plus even when folded up along wall it was hard to get by it so we ended up parking it against the cabin door when we were inside.

Now we book only HC and as noted a year or more in advance. One thought if it is really late (past final payment date) - check with special needs department about Accessible cabin. There is a chance it could have been booked by AB person(s) once released from restrictions but they are still supposed to bump them if need arises. Not that they always do that but worth asking about.

Our favorite feature of the HC cabins (besides wide enough door and space to roll chair) is the power door opener. Without it it would be very difficult for my wife to exit cabin by herself while in wheelchair and having to pull door inward while backing up. In the photos above you can see the opener above the door and button on wall by bathroom door.

[quote=Sequim88;31285513

...>>>SNIP<<<...

Our favorite feature of the HC cabins (besides wide enough door and space to roll chair) is the power door opener. Without it it would be very difficult for my wife to exit cabin by herself while in wheelchair and having to pull door inward while backing up. In the photos above you can see the opener above the door and button on wall by bathroom door.

Also note the telephone extension in the bathroom right above the button.

2883173200096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Yes, phone there is handy to not have to run (wheel) out to the bedside if the phone rings. Also for emergency calls. Speaking of which there is a pull cord for emergency call in bathroom. Also buttons for that by the bed but those are too much like the light switches so we tripped the call thing by accident in the dark one night. But I went to the one in the bathroom and reset it there very quickly so there was no crew response.

Archived