Wheelchair in inside cabin?

sugarking

I am thinking of booking an inside cabin for 2 adults and 2 children on Explorer of the Seas. Can I fit a collapsible wheelchair in the room and would I be able to fit it under the bed?

You might ask for an accessible room.........it will give you lots more room for your wheelchair..

I can't imagine four people in a regular interior stateroom with a wheelchiar. Are the accessible rooms still available? They are offered at the same price and give you nearly double the space. You just have to fill out a form that establishes your need for the accessible features.

As above. You will be hard pressed to get the 4 of you with luggage and the wheelchair in the room at the same time and you won't be able to leave the chair in the hallway. Do you know anyone else on the cruise that could mind the wheelchair for you... I did that when in a PR and DD was in a JS she minded my wheelchair for me.

The only available accessible stateroom was next to the stairs and after investigating found that it was prone to noise.

My daughter will be in an inside regular stateroom. Would it fit there?

I would still try to get it!!!!!!

The only available accessible stateroom was next to the stairs and after investigating found that it was prone to noise.

I think you were misinformed. There is little or no noise in any cabin unless it's a connecting one.

What cabin were you told this?

We had an accessible inside cabin on the EX in Dec, 1337 I think. We didn't hear any noise on the 12 night voyage.

What cabin number is available?

Pics of the cabin.

2392417400096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2315691900096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2377925660096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2384123880096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2947840160096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2713050270096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The cabin is 250 ft. almost as big as a JS but for the price of an inside. And there is plenty of room.

I am thinking of booking an inside cabin for 2 adults and 2 children on Explorer of the Seas. Can I fit a collapsible wheelchair in the room and would I be able to fit it under the bed?

From experience, you will not be able to get through the door with your wheelchair. We had to take off the wheel on one side to get mine through. You won't have enough room to store under your bed either. If at all possible, get the accessible room. It will make your cruise much easier. I've done both. Will not cruise now without an accessible cabin. It was a nightmare with the interior room....Trust me on this...

We did this once, when no accessible rooms were available except suites, which we could not afford. It was very uncomfortable. The wheelchair would not fit through the door, so I had to stand up and hang onto the wall while the wheelchair was folded up and put inside. To be able to move around in the tiny room we stored the wheelchair between the bed and the wall. We had to get in and roll across the bed. We only had one child and we were so crowded! Now we book 12 -24 months ahead of time to make sure we get an accessible room. (We lose out on sales that way, but what can we do?) I would take noise over being too crowded!

Don't worry about the noise. There shouldn't be much, or any, and the added space will more than make up for it.

I found a pic of an Explorer inside taken during the cabin crawl on our Dec 2010 holiday cruise. The photographer was standing almost by the doorway to get as many people as possible in the shot.

These insides are barely doable for two adults, let alone 2 adults, 2 kids and the wheelchair. And if you even manage to get the chair under the bed, where you will store the luggage? We always keep the luggage under the bed.

2107345020096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

You aren't supposed to leave your scooters outside in the hallway. (nor really the manual wheelchairs, although if folded, probably wouldn't block too much). The reason is that the hallway is not wide enough for a scooter to be left outside and a manual wheelchair (or other scooter) to pass.

We have a family member in a manual wheelchair and we had to knock on cabin doors several times on our last cruise to get the person to move the scooter they had parked in the hallway so we could get by. Thank goodness it was not an emergency. You can ask you cabin steward to store the scooter overnight. But you should either get one of the smaller scooters which will fit within through the doorway of even a non-accessible cabin or you should get an accessible cabin (although if you don't need the accessible features, then please don't do that, as it may keep someone from cruising that has to have the accessible features, such as the roll in shower)

If you are not confined to the wheelchair and can still walk you will be fine. The wheelchair will easily fit thru the cabin door in the collapsed position. We had trouble getting the wheelchair under the bed as it was too hard and awkward to put away and get out all the time. We put it in the folded position against the wall, it didnt take up much room and was easier to get to. I think any crowding in the room will be due to the number of people not the collapsible wheelchair.

When my mom was still somewhat mobile and could walk short distances we booked regular rooms as we wanted the very few accessible cabins to go to those with more need than us. People who are confined to wheelchairs are the ones who really need the accessible rooms as they have the wider doorways and special adaptations needed for them to be able to cruise. Now that mom can't walk at all we have to book accessible cabins. We need to book around a year in advance to be able to get one as there are so few of them and sometimes able bodied people like to book them to get a roomier cabin. Sad but true.

Have a great cruise.

The wheelchair will fit on its side under a bed if when folded it is no higher than a suitcase on its back. But if you stow it there where will you stow your suitcases? Also, the floor is carpeted so I expect you would have some difficulty sliding the chair under the bed.

An inside on Explorer of the Seas is around 150 sq. ft. Not much room. If the children are young it might work. It certainly would be an adventure.

I found that accessible room 9553 is available and I booked it. Has anyone stayed in this room and had noise issues from the elevator next to it?

Not that particular cabin, but that is our preferred area to book. There is never a problem with elevator noise - actually, while it doesn't show on the schematic, there is a wall separating the cabins from the elevator area. We've never heard a thing.

Archived