Parking in Bayonne

TMaine

Does anyone have any recent experience with parking at Bayonne? Thinking about a Silouette cruise in the spring and was wondering about cost and security. Thanks for any info!

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm

$19 a day, taxes all included. Not sure about security, but it is Jersey City... I was just at the port for the Inaugurals last week, and it's kind of a "rough" port...not the worlds friendliest people. (This is just my experience, others may have had better luck! :) )

We were just there last month and as has been posted it was $19 a day which is paid in advance when you enter the parking lot. The parking lot is in a high fencd area and we assume security is fine (we have parked there mutliple times). The major issue with parking at Port Liberty has been a past history of cars getting splattered by paint from the nearby ship yard. This has happened to numerous cruisers and we are not sure whether it can happen in the future. A friend of ours had his car substantially damaged by paint (it is carried on the wind from the nearby commercial ship yard) while on a RCI cruise and got very little help from RCI. In the end he had to file a claim with his own insurance company (there was nearly $1000 in damage). We plan on parking there again (later this month) but still have some concern about the paint risk. Here is a link to a story published on CC:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2011/05/25/hey-who-painted-my-car-while-i-was-cruising/

Hank

we lucked out on our Summit cruise to Bermuda last yr ....no overspray issues.

we will buy a cheap car cover for our April cruise on Silho--just in case..

not a great pax port.....we will pack light as porters were hard to come by after the cruise--and we will just wheel our own stuff out to the car park area..

:) In Sept 2009 I went on an RCL cruise out of Bayonne. Yes, you DO have to ride to the terminal, but they have buses/vans with platforms that lower to accommodate a wheelchair or scooter. The terminal personnel were very helpful to me to make sure I got the right transportation. I walk with a cane, but these vans/buses were perfect for scooters and wheelchairs.....at least IMHO.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm

$19 a day, taxes all included. Not sure about security, but it is Jersey City... I was just at the port for the Inaugurals last week, and it's kind of a "rough" port...not the worlds friendliest people. (This is just my experience, others may have had better luck! :) )

First of all, it's Bayonne, NOT Jersey City. They are 2 separate cities.

Second, I have had the privilege to live in both cities and have found the people to be warm, friendly, and helpful. I had to relocate to central NJ 10 years ago but I still have many friends in both cities.

And oh, both cities actually have police forces, so residents actually feel quite safe and secure.

Connie

We got a hotel that had breakfast included, cruise parking and a shuttle to the ship. You have to ask if the hotel has any cruise specials. Look in Elizabeth, NJ for a place to stay and park.

They were right there to pick us up when we got back.

And I think it may have cost us about $20. more than parking at the port if that. We felt more secure doing it that way. I can't imagine coming back to find my car spray painted.

I have a scooter and was wondering if it will be difficult to get from the terminal onto the ship. I hear that you have to take a bus to the ship. Is this correct?

The ramp on to the bus is by the driver's seat -- the assistants tell you when to board and assist -- sharp turn brings you right on -- sometimes they fold down seats in the area to give you more room -- they would like you to turn it facing forward on the scooter, but depending on wheelbase can be difficult to do. We just scoot it over to the side, and then hubby assists backing me out when all are off the bus -- works best for full size scooter -- w/c may be easier to adjust. Bus ride is 2 minutes -- then to ship, where there is also a slight inclined ramp with assistance there if needed. Really simple and nothing to worry about. ENJOY -- Vicki

I can't imagine coming back to find my car spray painted.

You get a free $700+ car overspray removal job. My car almost looked brand new afterwards and it was 4 1/2 years old at the time.

We have sailed out of Bayonne 4 times. Have always parked there. The first 2 times we parked in back and needed a shuttle to get back to the terminal. The next time we parked up front and our car got sprayed. Just last month 10/9-23 we parked again in the front and no problems at all. I also did not see anyone with a car cover.

It's so much easier for us to drive and park even though it is $19 a day. People have said to book a hotel that allows free parking and then pay for taxi or shuttle to the pier, but that seems like such a hassle. We only live 58 miles from the port.

Drove to the port last summer from Boson, loved the convenience. No hassles, although lots of us were worried when Hurricane Irene came through that we would find our cars floating in the harbor! Easy on, easy off, although it seems like it wold be easier to walk to the ship than take the 2 minute bus ride!

First of all, it's Bayonne, NOT Jersey City. They are 2 separate cities.

Second, I have had the privilege to live in both cities and have found the people to be warm, friendly, and helpful. I had to relocate to central NJ 10 years ago but I still have many friends in both cities.

And oh, both cities actually have police forces, so residents actually feel quite safe and secure.

Connie

First, I found the port and it's surrounding areas to be very dirty...and I have friends that live in Bayonne (have for 15 years) and they refer to is as "Jersey City" that is why I said that. This was just MY experience.

Second, I stated that some of the employees at the port were NOT friendly... I can tell you stories of how poorly I as a GUEST was treated, and my boyfriend as a CREW member were treated at the port. Very sad. I never said anything about the community members, I don't doubt they are friendly, met a few very nice taxi drivers at the port. I'm sorry that you were offended by my comment.

First, I found the port and it's surrounding areas to be very dirty...and I have friends that live in Bayonne (have for 15 years) and they refer to is as "Jersey City" that is why I said that. This was just MY experience.

Second, I stated that some of the employees at the port were NOT friendly... I can tell you stories of how poorly I as a GUEST was treated, and my boyfriend as a CREW member were treated at the port. Very sad. I never said anything about the community members, I don't doubt they are friendly, met a few very nice taxi drivers at the port. I'm sorry that you were offended by my comment.

The port area used to be a military base. It was de-commissioned (not sure if that's the correct terminology) about 10 years ago. It sounds like they have not done a good job in cleaning up the area but I understand there's a 911 memorial there now that is quite impressive.

It is very strange that your friends in Bayonne refer to it as "Jersey City" since as I said before, they are 2 entirely different cities!

I agree it is very sad that the port employees did not treat you kindly as guests. That's not only not good business but casts a bad light on the people who live in the area.

I will be going to the port in Bayonne in March 2012 ... it will be my first visit in over 10 years. It's a bit upsetting to learn that I may be disappointed.

Connie

The port area used to be a military base. It was de-commissioned (not sure if that's the correct terminology) about 10 years ago. It sounds like they have not done a good job in cleaning up the area but I understand there's a 911 memorial there now that is quite impressive.

It is very strange that your friends in Bayonne refer to it as "Jersey City" since as I said before, they are 2 entirely different cities!

I agree it is very sad that the port employees did not treat you kindly as guests. That's not only not good business but casts a bad light on the people who live in the area.

I will be going to the port in Bayonne in March 2012 ... it will be my first visit in over 10 years. It's a bit upsetting to learn that I may be disappointed.

Connie

I hope you have a better experience than we did! The cruise itself was fantastic, and I of course didn't let it ruin my experience...was just a little unsettling to be treated that way at the port after disembarking.

Enjoy the Silhouette..it's a gorgeous ship!

We parked there in October and had no problems, very convenient. Contrary to dpryo319's experience, the two porters who helped us were very nice and friendly, especially the poor guy who hauled luggage for the five of us right to our vehicle. Hopefully our experience is more the norm.

I grew up in Bayonne and will be goiong there to board the Silhouette in January. The port is definitely in Bayonne and not Jersey City, but it the port is part of the industrialized area with adjoining container ports. In fact in many ways it reminds me of the port area in Ft. Lauderdale which is also very commercial.

The area is safe and very convenient to NYC and to Newark Airport. That's the bottom line.

I have parked there a few times

Most recently two month ago in August. I thought it was a very organized port with wonderful porters. You pull your car up to drop off luggage. Then go and park. A shuttle van came right up to us to see if we wanted a ride back to the terminal. She took our carry-ons and drove just us up there. Check in was a breeze. Then u take a shuttle bus with many connecting buses to the two minute ride to the ship And a new one pulls up every two minutes over to the ship. While u wait there are drinks and cookies. However we did not need to wait After the cruise On the way out a porter came right up to us, pushed all our luggage for us while we went through customs right to where our car would pick it all back up. No problems with paint and we will be parking there again on Friday for the Silhoutte! I think $19 a day is pricey but for us beats flying and just driving 1.5 hours to the port.

Archived