It sounds great

Divi

We are doing a 35 day cruise, r/t Boston in July, 2011.

We are looking forward to being able to drive from Ottawa, Ontario to Boston but this has created another problem. Parking for the 35 days of the cruise plus two nights pre-cruise.

The Best Western Adams Inn in Quincy appears to be the solution.

Free parking for 14 nights, $5/per night after that, free shuttle to the port and $159 + taxes per night.

It sounds great! Am I missing something? We have only been to Boston once, many years ago so we don't know the areas.

How easy would it be to get downtown using public transit?

I know that 138East usually recommends the Back Bay area.

Any help/insights would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Deen

Parking in Boston is tough and I doubt you will get a better price than that in the city. Quincy is about 25-30 minute from Boston. Only issue would be early morning rush hour traffic can be a nightmare.

As for public transportation you could take the Red Line to South Station and catch the Silver Line to the pier. The "T" is $2.00 one way per person and the transfer is I believe free. I take the T from west of the city whenever I go to the airport and find it's quite manageable & My trip requires taking 2 subways and a shuttle bus. Boston has IMHO a decent public subway system.

I drive by the Adams Inn on my way into Boston, it's not that far into the city. The hotel is located off the Neponset Circle exit, round-about and under the bridge to get there. It's actually on the line between Quincy and Boston. When I have had a very early flight, I stayed at the Inn and found the staff to be very accommodating. One time, DH dropped my sister & I off prior to a flight to the UK, and the desk arranged for their shuttle driver to drive us to a restaurant on the Bldv. I've also left my car there for an extended period of time, and it worked out great. Give them a call, they may be able to shuttle you to the nearest T station for easier access into the city.

Darcy

Check w a car rental company. Chances it might be cheaper to do either two one way rentals or some companies will reciprocate and allow u to park for free at their agency. I checked into that option when we cruised for nine days so I had a two week car rental.

Check w a car rental company. Chances it might be cheaper to do either two one way rentals or some companies will reciprocate and allow u to park for free at their agency. I checked into that option when we cruised for nine days so I had a two week car rental.

This would be a good plan if OP wasn't coming from Canada. Rental companies do not do one ways across the border. Worse than that, a Canadian citizen cannot drive a US plated rental back into Canada. (Our car broke in Boston once and we had to rent -eventually we did get into Canada but there was much paperwork and many hoops to go through in order to do it).

I plan to call the Best Western Adams Inn today to confirm the cost and availability of parking for 37 - 38 days.

We looked into renting vehicles but the cost was almost equal to parking at the cruise terminal.

A poster on another thread suggested renting a car in Plattsburg ( on our route from Ottawa to Boston ) and leaving our car in long term parking there. ($3/day)

If the B.W Hotel is as advertised, it would be the most straightforward and most inexpensive option we have seen so far.

It shows as only a 2 star hotel but I think we can manage for two nights knowing we are getting on a cruise ship!;)

Thank you for help.

Deen

I just made reservations at the Best Western Adams Inn for two nights in July.

I found this hotel on STAY123.com. By calling the hotel directly, I was surprised to find that it was $10/a night less and didn't require a deposit.:D

The first 14 days of parking are free and the next 21 are $5/day. The count starts the day you check out so the two nights we stay, are also free parking.

It also offers a free shuttle to the Black Falcon Cruise Port.

Thanks again for all of the information offered on this board.

Deen

I just made reservations at the Best Western Adams Inn for two nights in July.

I found this hotel on STAY123.com. By calling the hotel directly, I was surprised to find that it was $10/a night less and didn't require a deposit.:D

The first 14 days of parking are free and the next 21 are $5/day. The count starts the day you check out so the two nights we stay, are also free parking.

It also offers a free shuttle to the Black Falcon Cruise Port.

Thanks again for all of the information offered on this board.

Deen

Happy to hear you found a good solution. Enjoy your cruise!

This would be a good plan if OP wasn't coming from Canada. Rental companies do not do one ways across the border. Worse than that, a Canadian citizen cannot drive a US plated rental back into Canada. (Our car broke in Boston once and we had to rent -eventually we did get into Canada but there was much paperwork and many hoops to go through in order to do it).

Actually, I've reserved a one-way rental U.S. to Canada (Avis for Detroit to Montreal; ended up not using it. ), but I think the reverse is not doable. We also did a r.t. Boston-Quebec-Boston and had no trouble crossing the border. Also rented Detroit to Canada to Detroit. Rental company had to give us a form, and they cautioned us that if there were any Canadians in the car, we couldn't cross. So, for OP, the choices would seem narrowed down to driving their own car, flying, taking the train (Canada Rail to Montreal then Amtrak Adirondrack), or taking the bus (argh).

Archived