Live from the MS Nieuw Amsterdam with thekuhnfamily...!

ASIWISH

Day 1:

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale from Chicago on American Airlines – left on time – arrived on time. It was frustrating, because it seemed like everyone on the plane was leaving on their cruise TODAY - we aren’t leaving until Sunday!!!!

We rented a car from Hertz for $11.80/day… and I get to return it to the hotel we are staying at – The Marriott Harbor Beach. The Hertz location was perfect because we are Hertz Gold Five Star members, so we just walked out to our car and left. The counter, however, looked very crowded.

We went to Total Wine, and fell in love with it immediately! It had an incredible selection and what seemed like 15-20 employees begging to help us. They offered suggestions once they saw what we were choosing, but we stuck with our favorites. Who wants to be stuck in the Florida Straits with a lousy bottle of wine..? The prices seemed to be about 15-20% lower than our places in Chicago, and we had a coupon – thanks to the advice I got on Cruise Critics! I left my coupon in the car, but the checkout girl let me show her the e-mail from my Blackberry and accepted it! Pretty slick! Outside, sat four taxis… all waiting for passengers stopping on their way from the airport to their cruise ship. Great idea... again from Cruise Critics, I'm sure!

Next, we stopped at Publix for bottled water, sunscreen, some cheese, and crackers to enjoy while sitting on the rocks watching Sail-Aways on Friday and Saturday Nights!

We checked in at the Marriott to a “room not ready” greeting. Not a big deal…! We left the car with Valet, and never saw it again. Very convenient! No Hertz check-in to deal with. With taxes and fees, I think my rental came out to about $22.00. Cheaper than a cab, and we made a couple stops. We grabbed a drink and watched the brides from FOUR weddings taking pictures in the lobby! Seriously, FOUR WEDDINGS? ... and they’re taking pictures IN THE LOBBY?!? After 30-minutes the front desk called my cell to tell me our room was ready. Worth the wait! Fifteenth Floor – top floor – looking out over the ocean… BEAUTIFUL! Beautiful lagoon pool and perfect little beachfront tiki bar!

The room is spacious and clean, and Marriott beds and bedding are some of the best. Very comfortable! Unpacked, iced down some wine for sail-away, and finished a little work on the laptop.

We walked down the beach to watch the Noordam and Statendam sail away… absolutely beautiful! My sister, ILLINOISFIVE, even texted me while we were there! While we waited on the rocks, we watched some college boys surfing at the mouth of the harbor. Fun!

We grabbed a quick dinner at Sea View. Burger and Greek salad… perfectly average, at an above average price. Pretty restaurant, but not recommended.

Because we were up at 4:00 am, we were in bed at 8:15… We’re not proud of ourselves..!

I did warn you those Marriott beds are wonderful!

Sweet dreams!

Day 2

We woke up a little late… after sleeping for 11-hours (reference the Marriott beds in my Day 1 post!).

We grabbed a quick breakfast, and walked about three blocks to try out the Ft. Lauderdale Water Taxi - after getting recommendations from Cruise Critics. We really enjoyed it! $20 for an all day pass… can’t wait for another 18-years, so we can pay $16 using the Senior Discount!

The views, mansions, and yachts were amazing, made better by the tour guide's commentary! I must say it was a little liberal leaning, as our guide spent too much time commenting about how greedy, selfish, and tax evading the rich homeowners and yacht owners were… until I gently reminded the guide that if it wasn’t for them, he’d wouldn’t have this job... and we’d be touring swampland saying, “I paid $20 to tour swampland??? Well, at least I’ll only pay $16 to tour this swampland in 18-years…”.

We took the “inbound” route and stopped at Kilwins of Las Olas - Thanks, HIMSELF! Loved it!

On the way back, stopped to eat at the 15th Street fisheries for lunch – based on recommendations made on these boards. Again, we loved it! We aren’t that easy to please, but so far this trip has been a home run! Because of the taxi schedule, we were first in the place for the day, so we grabbed a beautiful window seat, and were served remarkably fast. Nancy had the Sangria and said, “I would leave you for this drink!” I assumed this meant she liked it.

We couldn’t agree on an appetizer, so we shared the house seafood salad. For about 5-minutes, Nancy forgot about the sangria, as the Mango Chutney Salad Dressing was the best we’ve have ever had… amazing. Sorry, we asked but they wouldn’t share the recipe. The salad was loaded with crab… loaded!

I had the Lobster Sandwich, in honor of my New England Friend, Sail7Seas! They assured me it was “just like being there”. My comment was that “it tasted like the sandwich was there… about five days ago!” :D The waitress laughed and apologized. It really wasn’t that bad, but was so heavy on the mayonnaise that you couldn’t taste the lobster. Not recommended.

We had to wait about 10-minutes for the taxi, so we bought some frozen ship on the pier and fed the fish off the dock… fun!

Got back on the taxi and commented how great it was… no waiting, and very convenient.

Late in the afternoon, we walked down the beach to see the Eurodam sail away. Grabbed some fish tacos… and strolled back to the room to watch my beloved Notre Dame on TV… even on vacation, some habits are hard to break. Apparently for Nancy too, as she ran downstairs to do some laundry… Why not? ...we’ve been here for 36-hours!!! I guess she misses the kids…!!!

Anyhow… that’s it for tonight… tomorrow we’ll grab a taxi at noon to catch the beautiful and elegant Nieuw Amsterdam. (I loved it when Lisa described the Oosterdam that way in her “LAFFNVEGAS Says Aloha LIVE from the MS Oosterdam” thread).

I’m looking forward to enjoying the sail away from the Family Retreat Cabana we reserved for the week… I hope it doesn’t have a washer and dryer.

Sweet dreams!

Happy sailing, KF!

When you have a chance, I'd love to know how you access the rocks near the channel to see the ships leave...we tried our best last year, but came up short...drove all along that Inlet Road (I think it's called) and couldn't find an opening.

Happy sailing, KF!

When you have a chance, I'd love to know how you access the rocks near the channel to see the ships leave...we tried our best last year, but came up short...drove all along that Inlet Road (I think it's called) and couldn't find an opening.

Thank you, Sheila! It wouldn't be a HAL cruise without a Happy Sailing from you! You bid me farewell on my first cruise in March 2008, too!

As for the sail away..

We walked down the beach from our hotel, the Marriott Harbor Beach. It is a little longer walk than I'd like, but very doable... it takes about ten-minutes. The sand is so soft, it's hard to walk on...

I noticed that there appears to be a public beach access, I assume with parking, just a couple buildings north of the condo buildings at the mouth of the harbor. On Friday, there were about 20 people watching... last night, there were probably 70 people watching. Some walked back to the hotels, but most appeared to walk out of the beach by the beach access.

My guess if that you need to drive in the neighborhood north of the condos and look for a beach access sign. Wish I could help more! It is a wonderful way to spend an evening!!!

Thank you, Sheila! It wouldn't be a HAL cruise without a Happy Sailing from you! You bid me farewell on my first cruise in March 2008, too!

As for the sail away..

We walked down the beach from our hotel, the Marriott Harbor Beach. It is a little longer walk than I'd like, but very doable... it takes about ten-minutes. The sand is so soft, it's hard to walk on...

I noticed that there appears to be a public beach access, I assume with parking, just a couple buildings north of the condo buildings at the mouth of the harbor. On Friday, there were about 20 people watching... last night, there were probably 70 people watching. Some walked back to the hotels, but most appeared to walk out of the beach by the beach access.

My guess if that you need to drive in the neighborhood north of the condos and look for a beach access sign. Wish I could help more! It is a wonderful way to spend an evening!!!

What time are you getting on the ship?

I logged onto CC today, with my only hope being that the KuhnFamily was doing a "live from" - and YES! You are!! So excited...really enjoyed Lisa's and looking forward to enjoying yours as well. We are on your ship in two weeks time!! It's dumping snow here in Vail, Colorado - so, I'm quite envious of you right now!!!

Just a very quick post to say that we arrived at 12:30, and just got to our cabin about 5-minutes ago... 65 minutes. The line extended all the way outside onto the road... Yikes!

Everyone was in good spirits, though... And the port staff was wonderful.

A quick unpack, and then off to explore the ship... I will say that the colors chosen for this ship are absolutely gorgeous... So rich and decedent!

Also, the NA has the new device in your cabin where you have to put your key card in a slot by the door for the air conditioner and lights to work... Very Eco-friendly...!

As we boarded on the Promenade Deck, I was hit with the sad reality that my cruise was almost over... I must leave here in 7 days...:p

We could not be more thrilled to be back on a HAL ship..!

More later, Bon Voyage!

I logged onto CC today, with my only hope being that the KuhnFamily was doing a "live from" - and YES! You are!! So excited...really enjoyed Lisa's and looking forward to enjoying yours as well. We are on your ship in two weeks time!! It's dumping snow here in Vail, Colorado - so, I'm quite envious of you right now!!!

(I'm snickering...!)

Also, the NA has the new device in your cabin where you have to put your key card in a slot by the door for the air conditioner and lights to work... Very Eco-friendly...!
I don't think that cuts off the a/c. On our warm-to-hot days on our East Med cruise last year we never came back to a warm cabin. And since we don't like cold air blowing on our heads at night, I think we would have discovered that we could shut off the a/c by pulling the card. Please test that. :)

I don't think that cuts off the a/c. On our warm-to-hot days on our East Med cruise last year we never came back to a warm cabin. And since we don't like cold air blowing on our heads at night, I think we would have discovered that we could shut off the a/c by pulling the card. Please test that. :)

You're right... As usual.

We just came back to a cold room...

Glad you enjoyed Killiawans. Didn't it seem like Lake Geneva? I know you are now off to sea as I watched your ship sail out to Sea. Enjoy the cruise. I will check the cameras on Tuesday to make sure you are docked in Grand Turk. Haw a wonderful 7 days on the beatifl and elegant m.s. Nieuw Amsterdam.

Himself.

Have a fabulous time. Safe sailing and thanks for sharing with us. :) We appreciate the 'live from' threads.

Also....... Someone will correct me if I am wrong but you do not have to use your room key/HAL ID in the slot in order to turn lights on in your cabin. I think you can use any card that fits the slot. I hope we can use the card we had as room key at Hyatt Pier 66 for our precruise stay.

[/b]

We really enjoy your upbeat informative live postings on this thread. Keep the information coming while on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

A Notre Dame follower???? We Beavers love Notre Dame! Just glad we aren't playing you this year.

Hope your cruise goes perfect and you have smooth cruising.

Also, the Captain is not John Mercer... It is Captain Rik Kronbeen....

... And the Cruise Director is John Mann.

There was a post on the 2012 WV roll call saying that Captain John Mercer would be the captain on that cruise. Perhaps he has some time off before he boards the Amsterdam in January?

Have a wonderful cruise on board the NA. I look forward to reading about it. Very windy day here in Illinois. I certainly hope your weather is much better!

I watched the NA sail away today and wished I was on it. I sailed on her last winter (btb) and had the retreat cabana all to myself for 14 days. It was well worth the money. I have never napped so much in my life. I was very upset when I got home and there was no champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries waiting for me. Enjoy.

Archived