Just off the Ruby Princess with 4 year old

CaribbeanH2OLover

We just got off the Ruby Princess - it was me, DH and DD who is 4. Let me start by saying WOW what an amazing trip! The service on Princess is Excellent! I'm in the hospitality industry and I must say I nit pick everything from the cabin to the service to the cleanliness everywhere! The crew will go over and above for the passengers and seem to enjoy their job! Ask and you shall receive!

Our embarkation was a bit of a nightmare which was no fault of the cruise line. Our ship had just returned from the Mediterranean and the coast guard called for an inspection of the entire ship. This certainly delayed our check in process as we waited for about 2 ½ hours to check in. Once they were given the all clear they did get the line moving quickly. We did check an entire case of bottled water and carried on a bottle of wine to enjoy in our cabin. We are bottled water people, not because we don’t like the water on the ship (which is filtered and very clean); we prefer the taste of the brand we drink and like the convenience of grabbing a bottle to go on the islands. It was no problem bringing the water or the wine.

Where would a 4 year old want to go when you first board the ship? To the ice cream on the Lido Deck. What happened when DD got her ice cream cone? The ice cream slid right off the cone onto the deck. OMG I felt so bad as the next passenger that walked by almost fell on the ice cream. A crew member immediately walked up and I told him I was sorry. He said “don’t worry, we will clean, you go enjoy yourself.” We were now beginning to enjoy our vacation. For those of you that have been asking – yes the ice cream on the Lido Deck by the pool is complimentary. This includes the sprinkles, hot fudge, caramel etc… If you get the gelato at the Intl Piazza, there is an additional cost.

On our first night we had rough seas. We found out after we returned that we sailed near a tropical storm Sean and the waves were 20 feet high. We were rocking and rolling!

The Kids Club (Pelicans) was great! Our daughter is 4 and has been on 4 cruises and has NEVER wanted to go to the kids club. Well guess what? We could not get her out of the Pelican Club! She could not wait to go back each day. The counselors were great, Justine, Laura and another girl which we did not catch her name. There were so good at keeping the kids attention.

The other lines are great too; however they were not a good fit for our daughter. We have been on the Disney Dream and there was too much stimulation for her. Don’t get me wrong, the Dream is amazing and probably has the best kid’s facility out there at sea; however there were a lot of kids and the counselors did not give the individualized attention to the children. If your child is independent they will love the Dream. Our daughter was injured on RCI and no one seemed to care. We asked for a pager on RCI and they said they don’t have them. After a split lip that bled for a few days, no one even called to follow up with us to see how she was doing.

We only had 50 or so kids on the Ruby so it was great! We found out that the Thanksgiving sailing will have 600 kids. The Pelican club will give you a pager and page you when your child is ready to check out (which never happened until the last night when she was exhausted).

The activities kept the kids attention – movie night, PJ Party, Ice Cream, Pirate Party, Olympics, games, legos, toys, jungle gym with a slide, coloring, art, painting and even “outdoor time” where there is a track to ride bikes and play houses.

The service was great! There were a few nice touches that we noticed that some other lines do not do. Every afternoon you can have complimentary fruit delivered to your state room (pears, apples, bananas etc…) just simply fill out the door hanger. You also receive cold towels when you return to the ship which is nice when you return after a hot day on an island. We have had this on Celebrity too.

Another nice touch was that if you need a pool towel, you just ask. There is no need to check one out. When we were on RCI we were made to feel like a criminal. Every time we wanted to refresh our towels or return one we were asked for our state room card. Really? Do they really think I want RCI towel? I just want a dry towel.

One thing you should make time to do is the Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse. This was a neat experience and a nice change from the every day buffet. I believe it was only offered 2 days at sea. They have typical pub grub, fish and chips, ploughman’s, and bangers and mash.

Our wait staff was outstanding! We had Edwin 1 and Edwin 2. We brought new stickers, coloring pages or a new toy for each night to keep our DD entertained during dinner. We all know how hard it is to keep a 4 year busy during a formal dinner. Our waiter and asst waiter were so great with her. Edwin 1 would serenade her with a little mermaid song and Edwin 2 would make a flower or bunny out of a napkin and keep her attention. They also asked for her meal order as soon as we sat down so they could bring her meal out sooner than ours which was great. I would recommend bringing a cup with a lid. Every night Edwin 2 would take her cup, fill it with milk or chocolate milk and after our meal he would take it and wash it for us.

Our cabin was B522. It was very clean, located mid ship near both sets of elevators as well as near the laundry facility on our floor. Our cabin steward was Noel and he was great. He would run and open our door for us when we returned with our hands full which was a nice touch. Our cabin had a balcony with a glass wall which was great so our daughter could look out by herself. On other lines we have had a solid wall so we would have to lift her up to see out which makes me nervous. My parents had a mini suite which had a nice large balcony, a tub and a couch. They also had 2 TVs.

We only had 2 towel animals during the week which was ok because we have seen them all. My parents did not have any so I think we had them because of our daughter.

We did do one load of laundry. The cost is $2 for the washer and $2 for the dryer. There is a change machine as you will need 8 quarters for each machine. They also have a vending machine with detergent I think they offered ALL and Snuggle. We brought a travel size of Tide and a few dryer sheets.

The pools were great on the ship! I believe there were 4 as well as an adult only pool. The best kept secret on the ship is the aft pool which can be found outside of Horizons or Deck 15 (Lido Deck). There is a bar, pool, outdoor seating, and a spectacular view!

The ship also has a library which has a small selection of children’s books and board games you can check out.

The Horizons and Café Caribe Buffet’s were good. There was always a great selection to meet every taste from healthy food to vegetarian choices to home cooked turkey and mashed potatoes. We liked that the wait staff would take your drink order so you didn’t have to go get it. This is handy when you are juggling a child and plates. They do this on RCI too but the service is always so slow we end up going to get our own. On Disney they rarely offered.

The pizza on the pool deck was good and very convenient. We also tried the Trident Grill which serves hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches and fries. These are great options if you are wet from the pool and want to sit outside for a quick bite to eat.

Another neat secret was the Belgian waffles that are served where you find pizza during the day. They have waffles available in the AM so swing by and grab a few (they are small) and head to Horizons to get your bacon, fruit or coffee and OJ.

We found the MUTS an incredible experience (Movie under the Stars). Sailing mid ship, fresh sea air, with warm blankets, popcorn and warm cookies – we got so comfortable we almost fell asleep out there one night.

Sorry for the long post but we had such a hard time finding any information on sailing on Princess with small children we wanted to share our opinions/feedback.

If you have any questions please ask while it’s still fresh in our head! :)

Great review! What itinerary was this? Did the cabin attendants and dining room waiters address your child by name? :)

I keep holding off on Princess because they have never seemed too kid friendly to me -- maybe I need to rethink my opinion. ;)

We were on the 7 night Eastern Caribbean (St. Maarten, Princess Cays, St Thomas, Grand Turk and 2 days at sea).

Yes the cabin steward and waiters called her by name every day. Those that didn't know her name would call her princess.

We were very nervous thinking that Princess was for the Newlyweds or the stuffy older crowd but we had a great time. Service was outstanding and the kids club was great. The other passengers were so nice and always made time to stop and tell our daughter she looked beautiful or ask her how the trip was going. I would definitley rethink Princess.

I was thrilled to read your review.

For years I have been posting that other than Disney that I feel that Princess offers the best children's program. Yes ,they don't have walls to climb and that is good for the older kids but in terms of an organized program I believe that Princess does it the best other than Disney. And as you noted, Disney didn't work for your child. I'm glad this one was a winner for you and your family.

Keith

I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time. I can't wait for our upcoming Princess cruise. I am really looking forward to being able to use the Kid's Clubs with DS as he is too young to be left by himself. By chance do you have any of the Kid's Club schedules that you could scan? We are sailing on Crown Princess, but it would still give me an idea of what to expect.

BTW - Awesome that you were able to get complimentary soda during dinner as normally on Princess there is a charge for soda even in the dining room.

I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time. I can't wait for our upcoming Princess cruise. I am really looking forward to being able to use the Kid's Clubs with DS as he is too young to be left by himself. By chance do you have any of the Kid's Club schedules that you could scan? We are sailing on Crown Princess, but it would still give me an idea of what to expect.

BTW - Awesome that you were able to get complimentary soda during dinner as normally on Princess there is a charge for soda even in the dining room.

I know I brought the schedule home so as soon as I find it I will scan it or at least type up the itinerary for you.

It is interesting about the soda at dinner because I remember the waiter saying you are only charged for alcohol at dinner. Maybe we just got lucky. :confused:

It is interesting about the soda at dinner because I remember the waiter saying you are only charged for alcohol at dinner. Maybe we just got lucky. :confused:

On our last Princess cruise (and we also agree that Princess is great for kids), the waiters brought my girls free sodas at dinner as well, but I know that sodas are supposed to be an extra charge. My guess was that our waiters were getting them based on the family at the table next to us all having soda cards.

Best,

Mia

Would you happen to have scans of any of the dining room menus? Havent sailed Princess before and would like to get an idea of how "fancy" the food is and whether anything is going to suit our less ecentric tastes... Thanks in advance!

Would you happen to have scans of any of the dining room menus? Havent sailed Princess before and would like to get an idea of how "fancy" the food is and whether anything is going to suit our less ecentric tastes... Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately the dining room menus are hard copies so you cannot take them. We did receive an email from Princess about 6 weeks prior to our sailing that included sample menus. They included a link on the bottom left of the email. The link is not valid now so I cannot send it to you. :(

I wouldn't worry - there is always something available to suit your taste. Every night there are standard dishes available like 2 pastas, chicken, steak, cesaer salad etc... you can even ask for a garden salad which is available every night but not on the menu. One night I wanted one main dish but a side from another dish. No problem, ask and you shall receive.

Princess does serve real Filet Mignon, not the top sirloin filet that other lines make to sound like Filet Mignon. It was delicious! And they serve Lobster Tail with Tiger Prawns. DH asked for a Lobster tail, tiger prawns and filet one night and it was no problem. We are not big eaters (you know those that ask for 2 entrees each night) but he wanted both items that were being served on the same night and the waiter didn't even hesitate. He also brought out about 3 extra lobster tails for the table.

For the children's menu - they offered the same menu every night and adults can order off them too. Hamburger, Hot Dog, spaghetti & meatballs, fish sticks, chicken tenders, alphabet soup, volcano sundae.

The dining room menus will be posted outside of your dining rooms sometime in the afternoon. We would go down and check it out around 4pm.

Hope this helps. :)

Unfortunately the dining room menus are hard copies so you cannot take them. We did receive an email from Princess about 6 weeks prior to our sailing that included sample menus. They included a link on the bottom left of the email. The link is not valid now so I cannot send it to you. :(

I wouldn't worry - there is always something available to suit your taste. Every night there are standard dishes available like 2 pastas, chicken, steak, cesaer salad etc... you can even ask for a garden salad which is available every night but not on the menu. One night I wanted one main dish but a side from another dish. No problem, ask and you shall receive.

Princess does serve real Filet Mignon, not the top sirloin filet that other lines make to sound like Filet Mignon. It was delicious! And they serve Lobster Tail with Tiger Prawns. DH asked for a Lobster tail, tiger prawns and filet one night and it was no problem. We are not big eaters (you know those that ask for 2 entrees each night) but he wanted both items that were being served on the same night and the waiter didn't even hesitate. He also brought out about 3 extra lobster tails for the table.

For the children's menu - they offered the same menu every night and adults can order off them too. Hamburger, Hot Dog, spaghetti & meatballs, fish sticks, chicken tenders, alphabet soup, volcano sundae.

The dining room menus will be posted outside of your dining rooms sometime in the afternoon. We would go down and check it out around 4pm.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you so much for responding! Your review def helps and it's good to know we won't have to eat at the buffet most nights ;-)

You are so welcome! The Trident Grill is always open in the evening if you want something casual, hot dogs, burgers, chicken sandwiches and you can get pizza too by the pool. We saw several people eating Pizza in jeans watching Movie Under The Stars because they didn't want to go to the dining room.

• 1 month later...

What makes the kids clubs so much better than the other lines?

I'm a big RCI fan (7 cruises, ples one when we got married), but I would like to try something different. My friends are going of Norwegian Epic but I'm not sure I would like to try that line yet.

Everyone is posting that Princess has a good kids club but does it really compare to the Oasis class AO?? Also, another friends went on an Alaska Cruise with Princess and they vowed not to go on another Princess line ship because they were bored to death - poor kids club, things were catered more for the senior level, etc... was this because of the ship? or alaska curise?

just asking, not meant to offend

Great review! What itinerary was this? Did the cabin attendants and dining room waiters address your child by name? :)

I keep holding off on Princess because they have never seemed too kid friendly to me -- maybe I need to rethink my opinion. ;)

Reconsider. My son said his favorite cruise was on Princess.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome review. We're thinking of taking a Princess Cruise for Spring Break and this is just what I needed to see to help us make that decision! Thank you SO much! I'm thinking that for break there will be more children than what you had, but hopefully not 600 like Thanksgiving b/c there are so many different weeks of spring break all over the country and world! :)

Archived