Taking pictures of pictures

Princesss

I saw somebody get busted last week on the Triumph taking pictures of pictures, they said they saw her on a camara (who knew?) All they did was make her pay for the picture she took. Shouldn't they have done more ? I paid almost $400 for pictures, just on this cruise alone !

I don't get why anyone would want the pictures of pictures. What kind of quality would you get anyway? I buy the pictures that I want and enjoy them. I take all the pictures I want with my camera of what I want. IMHO it isn't worth the effort to take pictures of pictures.

Even though I think the pictures are highly overpriced and I only buy one from each cruise I think this is just way too tacky. I am a bit of a hyocrite though as I will occassionally take a picture at one of settings when no one is around and the stair case is fair ground as it is a public walkway and really makes for nice pictures.

I read a review on here not too long ago and the reviewer took pictures of their cruise pictures and they were not very good quality but she posted them anyway.

We usually don't buy many pictures anymore, maybe one or two, but it would never occur to me to take pictures of the pictures they were trying to sell me. Kinda of tacky I think.

There is no way they can force the person to buy the photo. That's just ridiculous. Maybe ask them to delete the photo from their camera, but that's about it. The person probably felt guilty/embarrassed for doing it and decided to just purchase it.

I think Carnival should offer a package deal for all prints in a single shoot, some sort of bulk lot pricing after you buy at least one regular price print from that shoot/scene. Especially since they're going to shred it all anyway... I'd pay $30 for the extra few mediocre pics after buying the one good pic we liked.

Here's a thought....Are you listening Carnival???

Lower the price of the pictures, you charge to much!

By lowering the price you may very well sell more, thus ultimatley increasing your current profits!

Time for some "rollback" pricing!:D

I was on Allure of the Seas a couple weeks ago and saw a version of this. This man would have his children do a session with a photographer at one of the areas set up. Once the photographer had them in position and started to take the picture, the man would get behind him and quickly start snapping away with his own camera. When the photographer would reposition the kids, the man would stop and stand there like nothing was going on. As soon as the photographer resumed so would the man.

It was ridiculous to watch and I was openly laughing at the guy.

We normally buy 1 photo per cruise that we love. I also find carnival prices in par with other photography places. But I wish they ffered packages. Liek you could choose like 6 8x10 for 100. Or a mix and match where if you bought more you saved money

I think eventually they will go to the same way other lines do like RCCL they have computer kiosks and you look at the photo on the computer screen and order the ones you want. Saves money from printing thousands of pics and throwing them away at the end of the week.

But I agree if they lowered the prices or offered some kind of package I would be more apt to buying more pics:)

I saw on Johns facebook last week a question that since Magic had the facebook recognition to identify which pics are yours, would they eventually move them onto the tv to choose them that way. John said not yet, but yet on Magic they can put all your photos together by matching them with the picture they take on your card.

By lowering the price you may very well sell more, thus ultimatley increasing your current profits!

They could defintely do that with their prices of shore excursions!

But then maybe the cruise prices would increase:rolleyes:

On my last cruise, we were walking through the photo gallery and saw the funniest picture. We didn't know the people in it. My sister thought it was so funny, she took a picture of it. We immediately had an employee approach us. They stated that taking a picture of a picture was prohibited and that the photographers work hard to provide such excellent pictures. He then told my sister that she should purchase the photo. Of course, she didn not want to purchase a photo of strangers. We just walked away.

Need to remember the photographer actually "owns" the picture and it's not public property. We also bought a LOT of pictures on our last cruise - but had planned on doing that all along. Actually ordered wallets of two of them as the price was very reasonable. Read their photo release - it is NOT a standard photo release from a professional photographer. Basically it even says you can't put them on your computer and leave them there. Now I know that is NOT followed. Taking a picture of a professional photographers picture is downright unethical.

Unless it's set up in a studio, a photo of a photo isn't going to come out very well anyway. It would be dumb for Carnival to pursue this with a heavy hand, and even dumber for a passenger to allow themselves to be charged anything at all for such a petty act. I don't see how Carnival -- even being its own floating country -- could levy a fine against a passenger for snapping a photo. They wouldn't succeed if they pulled something like that on me.

I carry my own photographic gear, and don't have any desire for Carnival's schlocky photographic scenery (if you're traveling through paradise, what's the point of a fake beach sunset anyway?) At any rate, they're pricing themselves out of potential profits.

I agree with the suggestion on lowering the price of photos. I'd definitely purchase a whole lot more of them. They'd most likely make it up with volume. Throwing away the pictures afterwards isn't exactly economical. With the price as is, we usually only buy a couple or so.

Need to remember the photographer actually "owns" the picture and it's not public property. We also bought a LOT of pictures on our last cruise - but had planned on doing that all along. Actually ordered wallets of two of them as the price was very reasonable. Read their photo release - it is NOT a standard photo release from a professional photographer. Basically it even says you can't put them on your computer and leave them there. Now I know that is NOT followed. Taking a picture of a professional photographers picture is downright unethical.

Although I question calling these folks photographers (that's doing a disservice to photographers) since they're working for Carnival then Carnival actually owns the copyright.

Legally they cannot offer them for profit without a model release. Next time just ask them.

Hey Carnival. Sometimes you have to follow the leader. In disney you get a swipe card and all your photos are keep together. You can check them out whenever you want. They will even sell you the whole thing on disk. Think of the money saved if they gave you that option. Don't print them out until you purchase it. Sell you just the DVD. They could snap pictures all day and not fill those things up. I would spend alot more money if I got to keep all the pictures. They would save on ink and paper. $100.00 per disk that cost pennys, their profits would go through the lido deck. Not to mention the space saved doing it this way. You wouldn't need all that wall space. Put another outlet. Bought our pictures at coral world in St. Thomas of our swim with a sea lion, for $30 bucks well worth every penney. The amount of money that is spent printing all the pictures that don't get bought is nuts.

I saw on Johns facebook last week a question that since Magic had the facebook recognition to identify which pics are yours, would they eventually move them onto the tv to choose them that way. John said not yet, but yet on Magic they can put all your photos together by matching them with the picture they take on your card.

OMG that is awesome, especially since I already booked the Magic for 1/13/13 !

I guess I am one of those suckers that gets canvasses and duplicates and the cups and the scrapbook kits and all the books and frames, in every size available, even the funship freddie they sell, I have it ALL !! LOL

I always ask for pics of the ship and Conquest has many but Triumph only has one pic they gave out

Archived