old fashioned bakeries/diners in OSJ

BC Gal Ann

I've never been there, but I saw this place on a tv travel show. http://www.labombonerapr.com/site/

La Bombonera is great. I've been there twice. I have pics in my Serenade (Aruba route) review in my signature.

Try their mallorcas (pastries), very good served warm with butter. We got there around 8:30 or so and were able to sit down right away.

La Bombonera is popular with both tourists and locals, but more locals on weekends.

Here's another place that's across the street from La Bombonera, La Mallorca. Similar menus, but La Bombonera has a more attractive storefront, IMO.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d1234687-Reviews-Cafe_Mallorca-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Thank you so much XR650 rider, Host Faith and MS411. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I am going to go to La Bombonera for breakfast and a coffee.

We might even go to Mallorca for a coffee and snack later on in the day.

Host Faith - loved your review with all of the pictures. Looks like you had a lot of fun and really enjoyed your holiday.

Thanks again. :)

Thank you so much XR650 rider, Host Faith and MS411. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I am going to go to La Bombonera for breakfast and a coffee.

We might even go to Mallorca for a coffee and snack later on in the day.

Host Faith - loved your review with all of the pictures. Looks like you had a lot of fun and really enjoyed your holiday.

We sure did have a great time! Thank you. Enjoy your cruise! :)

• 3 weeks later...
La Bombonera is great. I've been there twice. I have pics in my Serenade (Aruba route) review in my signature.

Try their mallorcas (pastries), very good served warm with butter. We got there around 8:30 or so and were able to sit down right away.

Is this place easy to get to from Old San Juan pier? We were thinking of taking the trolley to tour Old San Juan.

Is this place easy to get to from Old San Juan pier? We were thinking of taking the trolley to tour Old San Juan.

La Bombonera is an easy walk from the Old San Juan pier. Just cross the street up the stairs and over a couple of blocks then turn left on San Francisco Street down a ways on the left hand side at 259 San Francisco St..Enjoy the breakfast Mallorca (ham or bacon & egg) Yummy !! It has been a local favorite since 1902 :eek::D

I am looking for old fashioned bakeries or diners in Old San Juan, preferably where the locals eat.

Thanks for any information. :)

BC Gal Ann,

i absolutely agree with with the others regarding La Bombanera. If you are looking for lunch/dinner where the locals eat i would recommend El Jibarito at 280 Calle Sol just 2 blocks north of La Bombanera. go and enjoy.

La Bombonera is popular with both tourists and locals, but more locals on weekends.

Here's another place that's across the street from La Bombonera, La Mallorca. Similar menus, but La Bombonera has a more attractive storefront, IMO.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d1234687-Reviews-Cafe_Mallorca-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

I went to La Mallorca on my first visit to OSJ at the recmmendation of some friends from Puerto Rico. Many locals eat there. I love the old fashioned ambience-it looks like a diner from the past. There meals are tasty and affordable.

I've never even tried La Bombonera because I don't want to miss my stop at La Mallorca.This year I'm staying a few days, so maybe I'll go to both and compare- they each have similar menus

Definitely have to try a mallorca when visiting- they are melt in your mouth good!

Thank you MDSue. I certainly will try the sweet bread - mallorca with a coffee.

For sure now we are also going to get to La Mallorca restaurant in the afternoon.

I am so going to enjoy eating different types of food than what I am used to. :)

Another vote for La Bombanera! It's over 100 years old and popular with locals and tourists. The place isn't very fancy at all on the inside, but the food is so good and the prices aren't bad. Sorry that we only ate there once on our trip. Guess we need to go back again. lol

Thank you so much Smurfm69 for the pictures of La Bombonera.

It looks like an older style diner - quite charming.

I am going to try one of those buns with jam. Did you try that bun with cheese and ham, as it looks like that's what is in it in the picture.

I also want to try the coffee leche (I am not sure what it actually is called)

I had bacon, egg, and cheese and my wife had ham, egg, and cheese. I thought the ham was better than the bacon but both tasty. I had a coffee and she had a soft drink with our mallorcas and the total bill was less than $20 as you can see in the pic.

Smurfm69 - wow... there was egg, ham and cheese in the bun (mallorcas) I may try one of those instead of the jam.

I just am not quite sure of the icing sugar on the top.

Do you drink your coffee with cream and was it good?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Smurfm69 - wow... there was egg, ham and cheese in the bun (mallorcas) I may try one of those instead of the jam.

I just am not quite sure of the icing sugar on the top.

Do you drink your coffee with cream and was it good?

Thanks for sharing. :)

That's not icing, it's powdered sugar sprinkled on top, and yes I drank coffee with cream and it was good. Where are you staying in San Juan before or after your cruise?

Smurfm69, Thanks I really am looking forward to trying so much in San Juan.

We are just there for the day, coming in on the Carnival Freedom. We are stopping in San Juan, Grand Turk, St. Thomas and St Maartens.

I have talked to my family and 2 of us want to experience the food, the others want to go to the Fort and then meet up with us later. Of course we will be eating again.

This is going to sound a little off, but we have never eaten much off the ship before when we have cruised. We took a Cosol tour in St. Lucia, where he provided a lot of different local dishes for us to try which were all delicious. We had also fresh hot bread with the most wonderful white cheese on this tour. The reason that we have not eaten much off the ship is because we never knew where to eat and were always on tours and there never seemed to be enough time.

So this is going to be a great experience for us.

I am also hoping to try a conch fritter at one of the ports... that will totally be a first for me.

Thanks and have a great day :)

One of the things we enjoy about cruising is trying food in the different ports. The tour we did with Cosol in St. Lucia is one of the best we have ever done!!!! Starting with the freshest banana I have ever eaten, all that great food with the banana ketchup, and that hot bread with the cheese. Oh and the rum punch was sooo good! We did the segway tour in San Juan which was a lot of fun. it's $65 per person and lasts about 2 hours. Traveling to the fort on a segway was a lot better than walking. Sounds like you are visiting some really nice ports on your cruise. There is a restaurant in downtown St. Thomas called the Greenhouse that has some good food and not very expensive. We ate there a few years ago and liked it. On our last trip to St. Maarten, we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe which was yummy!

Smurfm69 Thank you.

I will check these restaurants out, as I also believe that part of the experience is trying the local food.

I talked to the family members and they want to do the Segway tour. I looked up the website and it does look like a lot of fun. Thanks for the heads up.

I did not try the rum punch, but the I tried the cream soda drink that is made on the Island. It was yummy.

What does the conch fritter taste like? Is is rubbery?

I read your review with all of the amazing pictures of your Victory cruise... wow is all I can say... Thank you for writing and posting it. Your words paint pictures... :)

Archived