old fashioned bakeries/diners in OSJ

BC Gal Ann

I remember gaining a good bit of weight on our first cruise. We try to get a little more exercise on the ship to balance all the eating. If only going up or down 1 or 2 decks, we use the stairs. I also try to hit the gym on sea days, and just walking a good bit around the ship also helps.

I want to thank each and everyone that has given me information on San Juan.

I really appreciate the time and effort you all took to share this information.

I know that we are going to have an amazing time there.

All the very best in the New Year. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Old San Juan last week on Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne. I took this board's recommendation and went to La Bombanera. It was wonderful. I was by myself (my wife wasn't feeling well and stayed on board), and went for breakfast. I had ham and cheese on the mallorca bread. It is grilled flat like a Cubano, and has a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top. It becomes like a flat Monte Cristo sandwich without the deep frying. It was great. I went back for a dulce (pastry) and more coffee (also fantastic) before getting back on the ship. I only wish that I could have brought some back to the ship for my wife.

Alan (and Leslie)

I was in Old San Juan last week on Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne. I took this board's recommendation and went to La Bombanera. It was wonderful. I was by myself (my wife wasn't feeling well and stayed on board), and went for breakfast. I had ham and cheese on the mallorca bread. It is grilled flat like a Cubano, and has a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top. It becomes like a flat Monte Cristo sandwich without the deep frying. It was great. I went back for a dulce (pastry) and more coffee (also fantastic) before getting back on the ship. I only wish that I could have brought some back to the ship for my wife.

Alan (and Leslie)

Alan,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and coffee! Too bad Leslie wasn't able to be there to share that experience. It is a mainstay of our OSJ visits!

Joe

luv2cruizrccl Thank you for the trolley information.

alanandleslie Thank you for writing up your breakfast experience at the La Bombanera. I am so looking forward to having a coffee and a mallorca there. I have never heard of a dulce (pastry) before, but will pick some up to take back to the ship. Do they have other pastries there?

MagSeven1413 Thank you for posting that La Bombanera is a mainstay of your OSJ visits.

There is so much great information on this thread.

Thanks to all of you :)

smurfm69 Thank you.

I did not know there were other pastries to purchase. I will have to check them out and decide which ones to take back to the ship. I wonder if I can get one of each, then we could have a taste test of yummy goodies on the balcony :)

Alan (and Leslie)

Alan..Just a good reason to take Leslie to OSJ again sometime...:)

Alan (and Leslie)

Awesome. Your description makes me want to go back, especially on this snowy day in New Jersey! Thank you for sharing :)

Archived