Getting from Athens to Venice

banditoo

We plan to spend some time pre cruise on mainland Greece and then need to get to Venice for the start of our cruise on the Silhouette next May 30. Does anyone know if there are usually direct flights from Athens to Greece or is there an alternate method of transport that you would recommend? I'm not having much luck with flight searches as everything seems to connect through Rome and thus involves longer flights with connections.

It seems to me you have three choices. You can fly (Lufthansa has some decent fares) which will mean changing planes somewhere (Germany or Italy). Another option is to take a ferry which means you need to get to Patras which is a major city about 130 miles from AThens. The ferry route generally takes about 1 1/2 days and there are at least a couple of ferries per week. The third option is find a cruise that goes between these ports....but I believe the best bet here is with some of the very expensive luxury lines like Seabourn. Your best bet is probably going to be to use air.

Hank

Since the OP want to get to Venice to BEGIN the cruise, the only viable option is to fly with a change of planes somewhere, any other option is not real practical, though train might work but it is still going to take a lot longer than OP wants to spend in transit.

Thank you all. The ferry does seem like it would take longer than we would be looking for on the water given that we will be starting a 13 night cruise in Venice which will be coming back down the same way (Venice to Rome). Looks like a connecting flight through Rome will probably be the choice as there seem to be no direct flights to Venice from Rome.

There is a DAILY ferry service from Patras on the Pelopenese in Greece to Bari on the back heel of Italy takes around 18 hours . Then you can train it from Bari up Italy through Bologna and onto Venice . Venice has two rail stations; Venezia St.Lucia on the island of Venice proper, and Venezia Mestre 7 kms away on the Italian mainland.

Another alternative -

I just did a quick check with fake date of June 14 and came up with

Aegean Airlines

Flight 802

Non-Stop

Depart: 8:35 AM

Athens, Greece (ATH)

Arrive: 10:15 AM

Munich, Germany (MUC) for $89

Lufthansa had a flight for $99.

You could then rent a car, would only take a day to drive from Munich to Venice. Not sure if there would be drop off rates since it's one way (Hertz didn't charge us drop off rate for Frankfurt pick-up and Dusseldorf drop off. And you would have to be careful to check baggage weight restrictions since Athens to Munich would be a Domestic flight. But since you are going to have to make a stop somewhere, driving through the Simplon Pass from Austria to Italy is absolutely beautiful. Good luck!

Another alternative -

I just did a quick check with fake date of June 14 and came up with

Aegean Airlines

Flight 802

Non-Stop

Depart: 8:35 AM

Athens, Greece (ATH)

Arrive: 10:15 AM

Munich, Germany (MUC) for $89

Lufthansa had a flight for $99.

You could then rent a car, would only take a day to drive from Munich to Venice. Not sure if there would be drop off rates since it's one way (Hertz didn't charge us drop off rate for Frankfurt pick-up and Dusseldorf drop off. And you would have to be careful to check baggage weight restrictions since Athens to Munich would be a Domestic flight. But since you are going to have to make a stop somewhere, driving through the Simplon Pass from Austria to Italy is absolutely beautiful. Good luck!

Oh my...now there seem to be just too many appealing options! If we only had more time, I could see renting a car and touring the countryside too as we have not seen any of central Europe as of yet. However we have more or less decided to go to Greece first for a week prior to the cruise. I'll have to research some about the drive route you are suggesting from Munich to Venice and the car rental rates. That flight cost sure can't be beat!

I found something even cheaper:

Aegean has an incredible deal on a flight from Athens to Milan starting at only € 33 one way in the week you want to travel!! The train from Milan to Venice is dead easy, and renting a car would be an option too. Another option is Easyjet from Athens to Milan, but be sure to factor in the extra costs (luggage etc).

A word of advice: do not leave booking any of the mentioned options on this thread for too long. The week you will be travelling is Whitsun/Corpus Christi holiday in large parts of Europe. Intra-European flights, rental cars and ferries will fill up quickly as it is a popular time to travel for Europeans. Also, because the popular European soccer championship is on in June, many who would normally travel in June will now do so in May, because they want to be home to watch tv.

I found something even cheaper:

Aegean has an incredible deal on a flight from Athens to Milan starting at only € 33 one way in the week you want to travel!! The train from Milan to Venice is dead easy, and renting a car would be an option too. Another option is Easyjet from Athens to Milan, but be sure to factor in the extra costs (luggage etc).

A word of advice: do not leave booking any of the mentioned options on this thread for too long. The week you will be travelling is Whitsun/Corpus Christi holiday in large parts of Europe. Intra-European flights, rental cars and ferries will fill up quickly as it is a popular time to travel for Europeans. Also, because the popular European soccer championship is on in June, many who would normally travel in June will now do so in May, because they want to be home to watch tv.

Thank you for the alerts to the holidays and events. I do want to make my bookings soon but also want to make sure I have everything lined up to work. That Aegean deal Athens to Milan for 33Euro is definitely great and only 2 hour 40 minute. There is an 0830 flight on May 30 which is when we would need to fly. It arrives Milan at 1010. I checked the trenitalia site and it only shows one train that day from Milan to Venizia at 1205 but doesn't show any cost. Not sure if it is too early for the train schedule and fares to show up for May? Also not sure how much distance and travel time to allow between airport and train in Milan. I would hate to book the Aegean flight and then have no train to get us into Venice. As I am not familiar with the Italian train system, if you have any other advice or knowledge of the trains, I would be most appreciative. The other option is an Alitalia flight from Athens at 1405 that day connecting via Rome and arriving in Venice at 1705, costing $237USD.

It looks like there is 1 direct train a day from Milan to Venice at 12:05, arriving at 14:40. However, there are many more trains a day where you can change in Bologna (depending on the time of day 15 or 40 minutes transfer time), every hour at :20 past the hour (11:20, 12:20, 13:20 etc). According to the German train site I used, tickets go on sale 92 days before departure, and therefor there is no price indication for the 30th of May yet.

When I check for trains between Milan and Venice tomorrow (just for arguments' sake and to check approx rates) on the Trenitalia site, it gives me a lot of direct trains, which makes a lot more sense between 2 major cities. The 12:05 is an international Eurostar train, so maybe that is why it is mentioned on international websites for next year. It seems the 2012 timetable for the fast trains is not published yet. Anyhow, tomorrow, a train ticket one way per adult would set you back EUR 32,50 for second class and EUR 45 for first class.

There is a direct train from the airport (Malpensa terminal 1) to the central station called the Malpensa Express. More interesting, there is a train leaving the airport direct for Bologna at 12:22, without having to change at Milan Centrale, getting you to Venice at 16:33 with a 40 minute transit in Bologna.

It looks like there is 1 direct train a day from Milan to Venice at 12:05, arriving at 14:40. However, there are many more trains a day where you can change in Bologna (depending on the time of day 15 or 40 minutes transfer time), every hour at :20 past the hour (11:20, 12:20, 13:20 etc). According to the German train site I used, tickets go on sale 92 days before departure, and therefor there is no price indication for the 30th of May yet.

When I check for trains between Milan and Venice tomorrow (just for arguments' sake and to check approx rates) on the Trenitalia site, it gives me a lot of direct trains, which makes a lot more sense between 2 major cities. The 12:05 is an international Eurostar train, so maybe that is why it is mentioned on international websites for next year. It seems the 2012 timetable for the fast trains is not published yet. Anyhow, tomorrow, a train ticket one way per adult would set you back EUR 32,50 for second class and EUR 45 for first class.

There is a direct train from the airport (Malpensa terminal 1) to the central station called the Malpensa Express. More interesting, there is a train leaving the airport direct for Bologna at 12:22, without having to change at Milan Centrale, getting you to Venice at 16:33 with a 40 minute transit in Bologna.

I am very reluctant to book the flight to Milan without having a concrete connecting train schedule. Not being familiar with Italian trains I feel really out on a limb without seeing the advance schedule and knowing for sure that I have a train to get me to Venice.

I am very reluctant to book the flight to Milan without having a concrete connecting train schedule. Not being familiar with Italian trains I feel really out on a limb without seeing the advance schedule and knowing for sure that I have a train to get me to Venice.

Barring a strike (which can happen at any time), you can count on a train to Venice. Milan to Venice is too popular an itinerary to not be available. I wouldn't take too much longer to decide, or the opportunity is going to be lost.

After weighing all the variables and pros and cons, I have decided to book the flight from Athens via Rome to Venice. It will take less of our time and involve fewer transfers even though more costly (not too costly though so worth it for the convenience and piece of mind). Thank you all for your ideas.

banditoo,

Keep in mind that flight will be considered a Domestic flight and the luggage limitations will be quite different than your International luggage allowance.

From LAX to Paris we were allowed 2 bags at 50 lbs each. On our Air France flight from Paris to Rome/Venice to Paris it was a Domestic flight so we were only allowed 1 bag at 44 lbs. We had 21 days away from home and had to do it with only 44 lbs in 1 bag.

And remember to pack half of what you think you need, and take double the money you think you need. Have a Plan A, then a Plan B for when Plan A falls apart.

Enjoy your trip! Good luck!

banditoo,

Keep in mind that flight will be considered a Domestic flight and the luggage limitations will be quite different than your International luggage allowance.

From LAX to Paris we were allowed 2 bags at 50 lbs each. On our Air France flight from Paris to Rome/Venice to Paris it was a Domestic flight so we were only allowed 1 bag at 44 lbs. We had 21 days away from home and had to do it with only 44 lbs in 1 bag.

And remember to pack half of what you think you need, and take double the money you think you need. Have a Plan A, then a Plan B for when Plan A falls apart.

Enjoy your trip! Good luck!

You are so right. We have actually become fairly proficient at packing. Never more than a medium suitcase each and often space still in each of the bags. I do also print out copies of other flight options etc. just before we depart so I can have back up plans in hand if something goes a little off. As the train schedules will be out closer to our trip, I will also print out those as yet another back up plan. Plan A, B, C etc.

Archived