Succesful carrying bottled water on Royal Caribbean ?

worldspan

It is interesting that you post this link. The story is very inflammatory and does not offer any real information. Most of these articles neglect to give us the real data such as the amount of water we would have to ingest in order to get cancer. My guess is that it is a large amount (hundreds/millions of gallons). We may be ingesting more cancerous additives in the water from our own taps at home or the bottles from the store. I think this "article" should be taken with a grain of salt.

• 1 month later...

I am cruising on the Oasis of the Seas in two weeks on the Royal Caribbean. Do you think we will be able to take bottled water on the ship. I have taken it on Holland America on prior trips. I just put it in a bag and checked it before on Holland.

It is interesting how some people jump on those who post about smuggling booze on board but say nothing about water.

Bringing water or sodas on the ship is not "smuggling". You can carry it on without a problem. There is no need to hide it or break any rules- no one on the cruise lines care.

...I drink bottled water, not because I am a "water snob" but because my water has to be a certain PH or it will cause me a lot of pain with my disease....

In your case, I would suggest a physician's note about this just to secure your water. May sound silly, but there are reports of confiscated beverages of any kind. Just a heads-up.

I just have to throw in my two cents here. I haven't been on the boards since 2008, WOW, I just realized how long it has been. The reason is that I was diagnosed with an awfully painful disease that year and haven't travelled at all since then. I am feeling better now (though not cured, just being treated by a good Dr) and want to attempt to take a trip somewhere. I think a cruise would be easiest for me. I looked at this thread because I too will have to bring my water with me. I drink bottled water, not because I am a "water snob" but because my water has to be a certain PH or it will cause me a lot of pain with my disease. The bottled water I drink is cheap, it comes from the dollar store, but it isn't filtered it is spring water and it is the only kind that doesn't cause me problems.

So, I just wanted to share that not everyone that is bringing water onboard is being ridiculous. It should be anyone's perogative to do so, but for some of us it is actually a medical reason. Years ago I would have thought it odd for someone to do this, now I look at a lot of things people do differently. You just never know what someone's story is.

I too have a medical need to carry water with me at all times. As a result of radiation to treat Nasopharyngeal cancer, my salivary glands were fried. Therefore, I need to sip water every few minutes to keep my mouth and throat moist. Long story short, my Oncologist gave me a note to carry while traveling that states that I have a medical condition requiring me to carry water. This note has proven invaluable when going through security whether at an airport or at the cruise port. Although my water is inspected, I'm never prevented from carrying it forward. You may want to have your doctor provide a note for you.

Well just returned from my Allure sailing and yes indeed was able to bring the water through security. Did not tip anyone or anything, however.......the woman from security had me take it over to a side desk. There she broke the plastic seal which fully encased the 24 bottles of water and get a load of this! She proceeded to shake each and every bottle, yes all 24 of them! I just looked at her in amazement and kept my usual big mouth shut. After she "shook all 24 bottles " she then sent me on my way, with bottles in my hands.

When we went on Liberty of the Seas from Port Everglades recently, we had a similar experience. The security lady said RCL is totally fine with people bringing water or soda on board but wants to assure no alcohol is smuggled. She claimed that by shaking each bottle, they can tell if it is alcohol.

RCL made it very clear that bottled, unopened water and canned, unopened soda is totally fine. I don't understand the earlier comment about how people "don't jump on people who smuggle water" - it's not smuggling if it's allowed.

Brought a 24 package of bottled water on Oasis at Thanksgiving. That said, security opened the wrapping and proceeded to "shake" all 24 bottles!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

The bubbles rise differently in water than in alcohol. Really easy to tell the difference when shaken.;)

Well, it might be my 130th cruise but for the first time I am going to attempt to bring my own bottled water on board, in this case for my November 20th sailing on Allure of the Seas. Just sick and tired of paying $3-$4 for a bottle of water every time i hit the gym. Even the pre-purchased packages of Evian water with RCCI are a rip-off. I can get a case of 24 bottles of spring water here at Publix in South Florida for just $3.99.

That said, to those who have been succesfull getting it on, did you (1)send it through as checked luggage OR (2) Did you carry-it on board with you through security ?

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated!

Worldspan

129 cruises strong

We ALWAYS take water on board with us. We never had an issue as long as the bottles were in their packaging. ( a case )

The RCI website states no beverages of any kind are to be brought onboard. It's just not enforced at every port.

Their policy contradicts itself in the same page. If you go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq you will see that it states "Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use" BUT then goes on to say "Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol."

They really need to make up their mind about what their stated policy is.

EDIT: As in they have other places where they state no alcohol is allowed but don't say anything about non-alcoholic beverages. My understanding from the implementation of the policy is that sealed, unopened non-alcoholic beverages are okay but implementation and actual policy seem to be different.

We were on the Jewel Dec 1 sailing and security was confiscating the water and sodas in the luggage. While I normally bring some bottled water onboard (and have never had a problem in the past doing so), I did not do so this time as we didn't have time to pick any up from the airport to the ship. However, we had a medical bag which had a small plastic sealed container of sterilized water. When the bag didn't arrive, I went down to security and there it was in the naughty room. There was a huge line of people and I waited for a few minutes. I saw sealed bottles and sealed cases of water sitting on the table and saw the security taking sealed bottles of water from luggage. (There was also various types of alcohol on the table, but while I was waiting, all I saw them finding and taking was water).

Many of the people were upset and said they always brought bottled water. At first the security was allowing six bottles of water (for a four day cruise). So even if you had a sealed case, they were allowing you to only take six bottles with you. Then while I was still standing in line, the bar staff rep there stepped up and said NO BOTTLED WATER AT ALL. I was very surprised to hear any of this.

As for myself, when an officer finally walked by, I grabbed her, explained that mine was a medical bag and that we needed the bag now. She put it on the conveyer belt and the security inspector looked through it, but, while he looked through and questioned some of the items (which frankly, I found offensive within this open area and since these items were in sealed medical packaging and did not have sharp ends/edges, it was clear this just nosiness on the part of the officer as there was clearly no security issue. The officer stepped over, told the security inspector to put the bag through, and that was that (ironically, the sterilized water was never questioned).

We had been told at security that this policy prohibiting bottled water and soda from being carried on the Jewel had taken effect before Thanksgiving, but I don't know whether that is true.

I had heard of this occuring during spring break time periods, but this was a post holiday cruise (after Thanksgiving and before Christmas) and I was very surprised to see this happening. We had never had water or soda confiscated before--and clearly if we had brought any water on this cruise, it would have been.

So it really does seem to be a policy that is interpreted and enforced differently from ship to ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always brough water and soda on board RCL before. I layer the soda cans and water bottles in a heavy duty vinyl "beach-type bag" and check it with the rest of my luggage. I have never had a problem doing this, although there is a slight risk it will be confiscated because others have reported it. Just do it knowing there is a slight risk. Most of the time, it's fine.

Archived