Are there guides at the sites for hire?

Marysunshine

We will be spending three days in Rome. If we go to the Colloseum, for instance, are there private guides for hire? We will also be going to Athens, and other ports. I have figured out transportation but would like to know if we can hire guides for the ruins once we get there?

At both the Acropolis and the Colosseum there are generally some guides available for a private tour. The going price for about a 2-hour tour is around 100 euros, and that price will be the same whether you have 1 person or 10, so it's good to try to get a small group together.

In addition to the places mentioned above, I've seen such guides at Pompeii and the Vatican Museum as well. Are there any other sites you are concerned about?

I would be inclined to spend the time to research and arrange private guides ahead. Whereas I strongly feel that a good guide can greatly add to the enjoyment of a destination, I also find that a poor guide will not adapt their presentation to the audience, and it can become tedious.

At both the Acropolis and the Colosseum there are generally some guides available for a private tour. The going price for about a 2-hour tour is around 100 euros, and that price will be the same whether you have 1 person or 10, so it's good to try to get a small group together.

In addition to the places mentioned above, I've seen such guides at Pompeii and the Vatican Museum as well. Are there any other sites you are concerned about?

Guideds in front of the Coliseum and the Vatican are not licensed guides, what they do is NOT legal, be careful.

I have used guides in front of the Colosseum without a problem. There are lots of them and they do tours of up to 10 people or even more if you which, Ours cost us 12 euros each in a group of 10. The cannot get in with a group if they are not licensed.

Pantheon in Athens is the same. Vatican is a bit more strict in who is allowed in as a guide so, there are no "black market" guides around there.

If you are inclined, try viator dot com, they have tours and the times may be compatible with your needs.

Unfortunately most of those tour guides are illegal, there are many articles specially about on those ones in front of the Coliseum. Italy has strict licensing laws concerning guides. A guide might be licensed for Assisi, but not Rome, or vice-versa. If you use an unlicensed guide and he gets stopped by the authorities, your tour might come to an abrupt halt!

we recently returned from Rome and found an excellent tour guide that is licensed for both Rome and the major wwII battle sites of Monte Cassino area... She spoke excellent english, our driver that she employeed was a hoot, not to mention an excellent driver!!! In fact our time with her was probably the most interesting and productive time we spent on our visit to Italy!! Wonderful knowledge of the historic district and the tour of the Monastary at Cassino was one of the highlights of the trip... She will meet you in Rome. or at the train station in Cassino... in fact the day after we took the tour she was meeting a group of 23 people from Texas to take them to Cassino by tour bus... we had a 5 passenger Kangoo van which had plenty of room for the 5 of us... I would highly recommend a day or a week with her... Dr. Danila Bracaglia can be reached at: http://www.infoguidedtour@gmail.com.. you can visit her websites at: http://nuke.romeheritagetours.com/ or http://www.montecassinotour.com if you have any questions please feel free to post a question (or questions) and I will get back to you asap!!!

Archived