Just back from Spirit Cruise review to come

Cruisedeacon

:p arrived home this morning after a week on the "Cadillac" of NCL ships..

will start review tomorrow night...

questions anyone??

:D

In your review, could you please list if you know, who the Staff Officers were in particular the Hotel Director. Thank you.

In your review, could you please list if you know, who the Staff Officers were in particular the Hotel Director. Thank you.

Just off the same cruise. The Captain was Vanja Litovic, Hotel Director was prem and Concierge was John D'souza. They will be there until mid January.

Pat

Welcome back! One question..

Were the 2for1 martinis back at Champagne Charlies? Someone wrote a few weeks ago that NCL was doing away with them, but last week posters said they were on the Gem and the Sun they'd just returned from.

Thanks!!

Can't wait to hear about your trip. My husband and I are booked on the Spirit out of NOLA in March, 2012. We will be on Deck 10 in a suite. Let us know how you liked the food and also your room. What excursions did you go on and what was your favorite? We have sailed on the Sun, the Star and now the Spirit. Starting to get excited about the trip. Look forward to hearing from you.

Just off the same cruise. The Captain was Vanja Litovic, Hotel Director was prem and Concierge was John D'souza. They will be there until mid January.

Pat

Thank you for your note about Captain Vanja Litovic. I met him on The Gem when he was a Staff Captain. I had heard that he had made Captain. What did you think of him? Mandy

Thank you for your note about Captain Vanja Litovic. I met him on The Gem when he was a Staff Captain. I had heard that he had made Captain. What did you think of him? Mandy

I was invited to the Captain's Table at dinner, and sat with Prem and with the Captain. I found him quite entertaining and sociable.

Prem was, as usual, a most gracious host and the only small thing which risked going sideways was quickly put back on track.

Had a great cruise on the Spirit 11/13/11.

Stephen

We were honored with an invitation to have dinner at the Captain's table. It made this cruise one I will always remember. He is very friendly and funny. He mentioned that he was recently promoted.

I was totally amazed that he was able to bring the ship up the Mississippi in such a thick fog. Very impressive to say the least. When we were docked you could barely see the opposite bank of the river and the Carnival ship docked directly in front of us was a big white blob.

Pat

We were on the Spirit in September and fell IN LOVE with Jose And Patti! GREAT entertainers in Champagne Charlies every night!! Going on the Spirit again in January and HOPING Jose and Patti are still there doing their thing!! PLEASE let me know if they are still there, and if not, who has replaced them? Thanks so much!

I was totally amazed that he was able to bring the ship up the Mississippi in such a thick fog. Very impressive to say the least.

Actually, it is a River Pilot that brings the ship up the river. About 9PM the night before, the ship slows just as it enters the river from Southwest Pass at Pilottown, and a small boat brings the pilot to meet the ship. He then commands the ship as it comes up the river and docks.

Most ports will also have this.

We were on the Spirit in September and fell IN LOVE with Jose And Patti! GREAT entertainers in Champagne Charlies every night!! Going on the Spirit again in January and HOPING Jose and Patti are still there doing their thing!! PLEASE let me know if they are still there, and if not, who has replaced them? Thanks so much!

We just got off the Spirit and they were still there. Not our style at all (we prefer Angel in Henry's Pub), but the bar wa spacked every night with people who love them. Also, no 2 for 1 martinis. I specifically asked and they have done away with them.

Actually, it is a River Pilot that brings the ship up the river. About 9PM the night before, the ship slows just as it enters the river from Southwest Pass at Pilottown, and a small boat brings the pilot to meet the ship. He then commands the ship as it comes up the river and docks.

Thanks. I guess what surprises me is the fact that they can maneuver the twists and turns of the river in such a dense fog. Galveston is totally shut down under those conditions. :confused:

Pat

Can someone tell me what side of the ship faces the Port of N.O. when it's docked and sailing out of the Port. When the ship sails up the Mississippi River and comes into the Port, I believe the Starboard side is facing it. If it's still facing the Starboard side when it sails out, it must have to turn around. Or does it turn around when it sails in? Any help on this will be appreciated.

This might be a silly question, but an inquiring mind wants to know...:confused:

Also, No 2 for 1 martinis!! :eek: I hate that! :(

Still looking forward to the review...........

The Pilot whether they are River, Bar, Channel or Harbor, come aboard as an adviser only. They can make suggestions to the Captain since they are the local expert on local waters, but they take never have control of a ship. The Captain never gives the control of His ship in normal circumstances. I do not know what Pilots on the Mississippi River are required to have, but on the Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest, Pilots must have their Master licence which means they have been a Captain at one point their career. Mandy

rsullivan: Thanks for the reply. I read that sometimes ships are docked on different sides so they can do some cleaning/maintenance while it is docked (and for other reasons of course), which makes sense. And I did think that the port side would be facing the port when sailing out... so at some point they must turn it around... thanks again.

I agree, it varies. When leaving NOLA on Nov. 6 we were on the cruise dock side. When we woke up on the 13th, we were on the river side.

And I forgot to mention in my mini-review that we docked at the new terminal when we returned. There was no advance warning that I could see. We left from the old, returned to the new. I felt badly for those elderly (and other) people who had to walk back to the parking garage.

Archived