Just back from Spirit Cruise review to come

Cruisedeacon

I really like the outside areas on the aft decks on the Spirit. Is the music played out there? How loud? Live? What times? I enjoy music at a pretty low level or even none sometimes.

I know the kids area is out there. Does it get really loud? I don't mind some fun noises drifting by but constant screaming would be a bit much.

Just want to know what to expect to avoid being a whiner....

The Pilot whether they are River, Bar, Channel or Harbor, come aboard as an adviser only. They can make suggestions to the Captain since they are the local expert on local waters, but they take never have control of a ship. The Captain never gives the control of His ship in normal circumstances.

I used the wrong term... You are right, they Captain never gives up OVERALL control of the ship. But according to the Crescent River Port Pilots Association, when they board the ship, they make all decisions concerning the navigation and steerage of the ship while it is in the River.

When we were on Carnival Legend last august, we caught the "jump" in progress - pretty cool! Had no idea what they were doing - got a pretty detailed run-down by an employee by the door.

Leaving in Spirit in less than 2 weeks - it has been a very long wait. We booked on the port side so we could see the river as we went down stream - however, I'm told (by a local) that there may be some cool Christmas lights on the other side. Ya know - it will be dark so soon...

Looking forward to good information - Sorry about the 2-1 martinis, but i understand the martini tasting and pub crawl are both offered on sea days!:D

We were honored with an invitation to have dinner at the Captain's table. It made this cruise one I will always remember. He is very friendly and funny. He mentioned that he was recently promoted.

I was totally amazed that he was able to bring the ship up the Mississippi in such a thick fog. Very impressive to say the least. When we were docked you could barely see the opposite bank of the river and the Carnival ship docked directly in front of us was a big white blob.

Pat

I forgot to mention the fellow dining companions at the Captain's table. Absolutely a pleasure to meet you & Paul.

stephen

Can someone tell me what side of the ship faces the Port of N.O. when it's docked and sailing out of the Port. When the ship sails up the Mississippi River and comes into the Port, I believe the Starboard side is facing it. If it's still facing the Starboard side when it sails out, it must have to turn around. Or does it turn around when it sails in? Any help on this will be appreciated.

This might be a silly question, but an inquiring mind wants to know...:confused:

Also, No 2 for 1 martinis!! :eek: I hate that! :(

Still looking forward to the review...........

The Spirit docks on the starboard side. When it begins to sail, it uses its thrusters to get out into the river. The ship then makes a left turn to begin the journey down the river. It looked awesome from our aft suite last week.:D

Do you know where they go in mid-January? How do you go about obtaining info on who will be Captain, conciere, etc? Not having any luck -- haven't found anyone in the know!! Thanks!

Spirit Itinerary January 2012: Mon Sea Day, Tues. Costa Maya, Mexico, Weds. Belize, Thurs. Roatan Island Honduras, Fri. Cozumel, Mexico, Sat. Sea Day, Sun. back to New Orleans.

Do not know much about Staff yet other than Captain Lars Bengtsson (formerly of The Pearl) will be The Spirit's Master.

When will you be on The Spirit? You might would to join the Roll Call for that cruise.

Archived