Silversea Experience - Walvis Bay...

CASHIPman

The Dinner in the Deset was considered as an optional excursion but it had a very high net cost and would require a large minimum number of guests.

I don't know what the cost would be per person but I'd think that Silversea could still offer it as a paid excursion with the proviso that a minimum number of people must sign up. There'd be no cost to the line to do this.

I don't know what the cost would be per person but I'd think that Silversea could still offer it as a paid excursion with the proviso that a minimum number of people must sign up. There'd be no cost to the line to do this.

I agree.

I do see that since yesterday, SilverSea has added a second run of the 4 excursions in Walvis Bay. I had complained heartily to my TA that we were stuck there overnight without the Dinner in the Desert and all four tours ran in the afternoon therefore, although we were there for a day and a half, we would only be able to do one tour. In other words, 1/6th of our days in port had nothing to do.

My TA promised to pass my complaints along to SilverSea. While on the phone with me, she signed in under my ID and could see how few tours we were being offered. She couldn't believe there was nothing for Casablanca (I'm on 2206 as well) and that I would only be able to choose one tour in Walvis Bay. Later in the day she called back to say that SilverSea said the website was being updated.

I see now I can do a desert tour and the bus tour.

Plus they have finally loaded the tours for Casablanca.

I have to say that I'm bitterly disappointed with SilverSea at this point. I took a Tauck River Cruise this summer and while the shipboard experience didn't compare to SilverSea, the tours blew SilverSea out of the water. Tauck tours compared to SS tours is like comparing SS shipboard experience compared to Holland America's shipboard experience.

I'm doing 2205 and 2206.

If you haven't done a Tauck tour you won't understand the difference. It is like trying to describe the difference between Silversea and a mass market cruise.

But the tour was also exhausting because we were on the go day after day, morning, noon and night. Their idea of 'free time' isn't the same as mine. And each thing was so wonderful, I hated to miss anything. I had some good SilverSea tours in South Asia last spring but I still felt very separated from where I was, in a glass bubble, so to speak. I didn't have that feeling with Tauck's tours - their local guides were excellent and I felt more immersed in my surroundings. On the other hand, I was in Europe, rather than Asia and that has to make a big difference on how much we can do on foot and the quality of the English. It will be interesting to see how the African tours work out.

My first SilverSea cruise I learned how much I love sea days so I'm thrilled about 2205. The next segment doesn't have hardly any and yet is still places I haven't been before so I hate to miss stuff. I kind of wish I was doing the cruise in reverse since that way I'd get off the ship relaxed and happy, rather than stressed by the endless activity.

I'm pleased the tours are up for Casablanca now. Dh has wanted to go forever and when we went to book a tour there he was disappointed that nothing was being offered. We aren't interested in the offering in Praia so my TA is looking into finding us a local guide.

• 2 weeks later...

:(Update on Silversea dropping the Walvis Bay "Dining in the Desert" experience from the SilverWind Voyage #2205......I am still steaming about this & finally cooled down enough to send this (relatively) civilized response to Fran at the Silversea Information Desk (see below in italics). Must say to her credit, she replied right away that she would forward my comments on to the Guest Relations Director and the head of Shore Excursions Dept. Not especially hopeful they'll completely reverse their position, but would like to at least have the option to purchase this excursion at my own expense, if even I have to make the arrangements myself!

To: [silversea] Information Desk

Subject: RE: Walvis Bay Dinner

Dear Fran,

This is very disappointing to say the least! This particular dinner under the stars event was to be the penultimate highlight of the this African cruise. Many, many past Silversea-ers have said it is a 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience and not to missed at any cost. It was, in fact, one of the reasons, I was so keen to book this particular cruise!

Since the Silver Wind will be in Walvis Bay overnight anyway, I cannot imagine that this event would not even be offered to passengers who would wish to pay for it as an additional excursion - but to remove it completely as an option makes me quite upset and disturbed. You may be familiar with "CruiseCritic.com" where this has been discussed by Silversea addicts like myself at some length (and with a great deal of agitation).

Please reconsider adding this event as a shore excursion for those who wish to subscribe to it. There's really no reason to be in Walvis Bay overnight otherwise.

Feel free to contact me directly by phone. Regards......

Subject: RE: Walvis Bay Dinner

Thank you for your reply. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your email to our Guest Relations Director and the head of our shore excursion department to review your comments.

Thank you and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards

Fran

Informationdesk@silversea.com

Hooah, Press on Countess; liked the description of this SS excursion so much looked long and hard at booking the Jan 23rd Whisper Rio to Capetown voyage..but at this late date did not want to use over 300,000 frequent flyer miles for award seats. Will just have to live via Wil & Craig's (hopefully many) CC posts describing the very last SS sponsored, "Dinner in the Desert".

The fact that SS finally added morning excursions after they let us know there would be no desert dining shows to me that they probably had intended to offer this and something happened. I'd love to know the back story.

At least now we can do a desert tour and the motor coach tour as well. It makes more sense to go to the desert in the morning, anyway since it will be cooler.

We've done the dinner in the desert twice and I don't really see what the big deal is. It was OK, but we didn't think it was as spectacular as some do. The ride out and back was pretty long and I really didn't think the food was very good. It was a very long evening. Wouldn't do it again if it was offered.

Yes, I quite understand that SilverSea is not doing away with the Dinner in the Desert excursion completely, it's just deleting it from the options available to the Wind passengers on #2205. What's with that? :confused:

Obviously, since they will be doing this experience for the World Tour and the Whisper, they still have the local tour arrangers that can & will provide the experience. So why can't they at least make it available to us on the Wind? What are we - chopped liver?? It's not like the SS ships are routinely overnight in Walvis Bay - this is an unusual and special stop on an unsual and special itinerary. At least give us the option to opt to pay for the experience, if we wish.

Archived