Help!! Drivers License/Birth cert don't match

NEWORLEANSCRUISER1

What if your Birth Cert and Driver's License don't match? Don't have time to get Passport and don't have marriage lic but do have divorce papers. Will carnival let you on the ship. I have called carnival and got two diff answers. I know my friend should have a passport, she will get one for the next cruise - Thanks!!

What if your Birth Cert and Driver's License don't match? Don't have time to get Passport and don't have marriage lic but do have divorce papers. Will carnival let you on the ship. I have called carnival and got two diff answers. I know my friend should have a passport, she will get one for the next cruise - Thanks!!

As long as your drivers license and cruise documents match you are good to go.

As long as you have all of the legal paperwork to connect the dots thru the name changes, you should be fine. Throw in a Purser who's having a good day also to let you board.

My wife couldn't find her passport last year when we go to the port. However, thru the birth certificate of our kids which some how had her maiden name that matched her Naturalization Certificate she got as a kid got us on. The Purser sure did put us thru the wringer though for many hours. We were the very last passengers allowed on...thru the employee entrace as the normal gangway had already been stowed.

We won't ever ever ever make that mistake of forgeting passports again.

It is common for females to not have the same name as they do at birth. The way they can match you up is your first and middle names should be the same on your driver's license as well as your date of birth. I asked this question when my son got his learner license two weeks ago and I was ID's to prove I was his parent. This was the response they told me.

As long as your drivers license and cruise documents match you are good to go.

This is so wrong. My wife on our first cruise had to be able to prove why the names didn't match. The border agent at the time of our debarkation said she had to either have a marriage license or divorce decree proving the name change.

This is so wrong. My wife on our first cruise had to be able to prove why the names didn't match. The border agent at the time of our debarkation said she had to either have a marriage license or divorce decree proving the name change.

or else what?

People do it all the time. Not everyone brings proof of name change and I have never heard of anyone denied boarding

or else what?

People do it all the time. Not everyone brings proof of name change and I have never heard of anyone denied boarding

They could and can be denied boarding and also run into problems getting back into the the country. Just. Because you haven't seen it happen does mean it won't so why give info that goes against the what is required by law.

They could and can be denied boarding and also run into problems getting back into the the country. Just. Because you haven't seen it happen does mean it won't so why give info that goes against the what is required by law.

If it was such a hard and fast requirement (law), every person would be scrutinized for name changes and they're not

Because you haven't seen it happen does mean it won't so why give info that goes against the what is required by law.
Please show us the law that requires this, because there is not one. The regulation that allows for the closed loop cruise exception is 22 CFR § 53.2 (b) (2). It says nothing about any name change documents, just proof of current identity and proof of citizenship.

The federal and state governments accept that your legally issued government ID (i.e. Driver License) is your current identity. Your Birth Certificate proves your citizenship, not your identity. When you apply for a passport, you do not have to submit bridging documents from your birth certificate through any name changes to your current name. The only time you must submit a bridge document for a passport is to change a name on an existing passport.

That said, several cruiselines have chosen to create policy that asks for bridging documents, but it is their policy, NOT LAW.

Archived