Meet and mingle gift exchange downer.

edeneyes

We started this in our extended family. We used to all exchange regular gifts and it was a drag. Now we have one " joke" box( the sexy panties box, ...it's a long story!) and whoever gets it has to fill it with a gag gift for another family member the next year. It's sooooo much more fun than regular gifts!

Another idea for M& Ms every one bring a gambling scratch ticket from your locale- they are all different,( for instance we have some tied to our sports teams here) and no one knows which will be worth anything! Guess this might not work for some folks based on their religion, but most cruisers could participate.

I don't gamble... some people just don't like to...

Another idea for M& Ms every one bring a gambling scratch ticket from your locale- they are all different,( for instance we have some tied to our sports teams here) and no one knows which will be worth anything! Guess this might not work for some folks based on their religion, but most cruisers could participate.

I thought of this for a gift exchange for my last cruise, but decided against it.

If someone won on a ticket from Pa. and lived in Cailf. how would they cash it in?

Our last several meet and greets we have done a poker run of sorts , we dont go bar to bar althought you always could but we always find we like to visit. I bring 5 decks of cards each person throws in $10 and draw 1 card from each deck and the best hand wins 80% of the pot worst hand win 20% , we normally have at least a $100 winner for the best hand , nice way to start your cruise. :):)

We started this in our extended family. We used to all exchange regular gifts and it was a drag. Now we have one " joke" box( the sexy panties box, ...it's a long story!) and whoever gets it has to fill it with a gag gift for another family member the next year. It's sooooo much more fun than regular gifts!

How would you cash in a scratch off ticket from another state? It wouldn't seem like much fun if you couldn't collect the money.

How would you cash in a scratch off ticket from another state? It wouldn't seem like much fun if you couldn't collect the money.

You fill out the back and mail it to the address that is listed. I have done this many times. They just mail you a check with your winnings:).

THX for all the laughs tonite!!!! so maple syrup is the gift,there will be a new bunch made before i sail next may!!!! GINGER 2000 we are neighbours!!!!! I would love to bring some of our great ontario wine BUT thats a NONO lol!!!!! nite all:)

I never knew that they had gift exchanges at the M/M. I remember a white elephant gift exchange where the hubby and I bought a cheap stock pot and placed a bag of noodles, can of chicken broth, and one of those funny screaming chickens from Spencers along with a funny story about how to make chicken soup. EVERYONE loved that gift. Especially when during the party someone would squeeze the chicken that sounded like he was on his last croak.

We have also just bought one of those cheap bug zappers that people use to kill mosquito's with. (the ones that look like a mini tennis racquet)

Thanks everyone for the chuckle. :D

THX for all the laughs tonite!!!! so maple syrup is the gift,there will be a new bunch made before i sail next may!!!! GINGER 2000 we are neighbours!!!!! I would love to bring some of our great ontario wine BUT thats a NONO lol!!!!! nite all:)

....love that ice wine coming from Ontario......:)

I've participated in several M&M gift exchanges and gotten really nice/thoughtful gifts (maple syrup from Canada being one of them Sangria from Spain another one). We got a mascot for the U of Missouri which I have threatened to put pins in when we play Mizzou in football (lol).

However, one time the "gift" was a nose hair trimmer! Actually wasn't that bad as husband could use it.

Participated one time in a "Chinese Auction" which I won't do again. That's where you draw a gift or take a gift. Not only did it last a long time, the person that organized it took #1, got some bath salts and waited around until the end. Apparently, #1 can take their pick at the end and the exchange is over. I was last and got a really nice jewelry set that someone had bought on the ship from the $10 (the suggested price) which she snatched and I ended up with bath salts. On the good side, one of the fellow passengers had made a CD which he donated to be given to whoever had the last number. He had some good songs on it and I have enjoyed it. He said he did that because "the last person always gets screwed" (lol).

Another time I got some mittens from Canada. Very nice but down in here South Texas I really don't have much use for them. Since we were on a B2B, I recycled them for the next one leg. What did I draw? A t-shirt from my home town!

Tucker in Texas (who does make lemonade out of lemons whenever possible)

We participated in a gift exchange at a M & M one time..... it took a long time, there were a few good gifts and a lot of real junk, some people allowed their kids to participate even though the family only brought one gift (fortunately, there were some gifts that contained multiple things so they got divided up), and it became really quite disorganized.

We agreed that we would not participate in the gift exchage part again. Most of the gifts were stuff that would end up in garage sales as soon as the cruise was over. (I got a handmade, crocheted potholder in Arkansas Razorback colors :D:D).

Live and learn......

We agreed that we would not participate in the gift exchage part again. Most of the gifts were stuff that would end up in garage sales as soon as the cruise was over. (I got a handmade, crocheted potholder in Arkansas Razorback colors :D:D).

Hey, if you still have that potholder I'll take it.;):D

Are gift exchanges standard at M&Ms? This is the first I've heard of it.

Depends on the cruise line...I've noticed Rccl fans here arn't too much into it, but NCL, Princess and HAL cc are... I've been on 13 cruises...

I joined cc after my 3rd... we've had one on all that I've done since...except the short repeat on soverign we did...no meet and greet on that...

im from the horseradish capital of the world, I wonder how that would work

I'd love to have some real horseradish. I don't get any except once a year when I visit my family in the States. To date, the best I've had is Betty's (small PA. company), but I'm open to trying any kind.

At the suggestion of one our M&M friends we are doing our exchange a little differently this cruise.

We are making/bringing postcards from our area and putting either our favorite recipe or a recipe representing where we are from on the back and exchanging with those who participate. Should be fun and allows everyone to get to know each other as well.

Gee I wonder what our recipe from Kansas will be? :rolleyes:

I've selected the gifts for an upcoming M&M...we're bringing items that represent the area where we live.

I'm concerned though because I chose gifts from Homer Laughlin China Company , which is located a few miles from my home, even though it's in West Virginia. I plan to make a gift bag with a S&P shaker set and a commemorative Christmas ornament from the Fiestaware collection.

I'm also tossing in an Ohio State collector pen and post-it set to represent my state.

My concern is that the recipient may know nothing about the collectibility/popularity of Fiesta pottery and worry they'll feel slighted in the gift exchange. It matters not that I chose to spend three times what was suggested, it matters that I don't unintentionally hurt someone's feelings.

I'm enclosing a brochure from Homer Laughlin about the history of Fiesta pottery, but wonder if my recipient is unfamiliar with Fiesta, what will they think if I try to explain just how popular Fiestaware is around the world? And no, I have no intention of mentioning the price of the gifts!!!!

I wouldn't have worried at all until I read this thread and realized that people can really get upset about something so inconsequential as an M&M gift exchange....

Cindy,

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought and effort into your gift.

If the person who receives it is not grateful then perhaps realise that it is their problem and not yours. I think that most people would do the right thing by the Gift Exchange.

Shame you're not doing the one on my upcoming cruise ;)

At the suggestion of one our M&M friends we are doing our exchange a little differently this cruise.

We are making/bringing postcards from our area and putting either our favorite recipe or a recipe representing where we are from on the back and exchanging with those who participate. Should be fun and allows everyone to get to know each other as well.

Gee I wonder what our recipe from Kansas will be? :rolleyes:

This is a great idea. Are you to bring enough so that each couple gets a copy, or are you to just bring one? I really like this idea.

This is a great idea. Are you to bring enough so that each couple gets a copy, or are you to just bring one? I really like this idea.
I'm betting rharvey999 brings a BBQ recipe. :rolleyes:

I'm on the same sailing. We're bringing enough postcards to trade with each person that brings postcards for trade. We have about 54 signed to our Roll Call but only about 1/2 (the normal for exchanges) has indicated they will be doing this or about 25 cards. this idea is great and it much easier to pack both ways; especially if you fly.

One of our members found a site on the net called zazzle com who will print the cards and let you use pictures they have on file or your own. You can then design your own design for the back and the recipe. Worked great, it was fast and the cost seems less than going out and buying commercial cards retail and then printing or using stickers to print on the back side.:)

I'm from Rachel Ray and Maple tree country. Any guesses?:confused:

Archived