MDR wine.

jimbob622uk

They are very flexible. Most people just have them cork it and save it for them if it is unfinished. If you are dining at a different restuarant the next night ask them to send it, or you can have the other restaurant retreive it for you (give them some advance notice so they don't have to run over at the last minute when they're busy). They will also send it to your stateroom if you'd rather finish it there. You might even be able to have it sent to a specific lounge to finish if you have plans to go to one after dinner - not sure about that but I think it would work.

They are very flexible on unfinished wine. On our last cruise we had some unfinished dessert wine that we took to our cabin on the last evening. We were going on a land excursion and just took if off with us to finish the 1st night in the hotel.

Mary Lou

99.9% of the time they are most accommodating. However, on our Silhouette sailing November 6, the sommelier was not very accommodating. I was looking for a nice bottle of red wine - not more than $50 or so. He point blank told me that if I wanted to get a nice wine I would have to buy a bottle of at least $80 or $90. I chose one for $49 and it was perfect. We did not finish the bottle and I asked him if he could cork it and save it for the next night. He was definitely not pelased to do this for us. The next night it was like pulling teeth to have him fetch our bottle. Needless to say, we bought no more wine from him through the rest of the cruise.

99.9% of the time they are most accommodating. However, on our Silhouette sailing November 6, the sommelier was not very accommodating. I was looking for a nice bottle of red wine - not more than $50 or so. He point blank told me that if I wanted to get a nice wine I would have to buy a bottle of at least $80 or $90. I chose one for $49 and it was perfect. We did not finish the bottle and I asked him if he could cork it and save it for the next night. He was definitely not pleased to do this for us. The next night it was like pulling teeth to have him fetch our bottle. Needless to say, we bought no more wine from him through the rest of the cruise.

If you, or anyone, has such an unfortunate experience again I'd recommend speaking with the Cellar Master (head Sommelier). Ask for him to contact you through customer relations or mention to the restaurant manager or your Asst. Maitre d' that you have an issue with your sommelier and would like to speak to the Cellar Master. When you do so explain that your issue with the sommelier, specifically indicate that you no longer want to deal with this person and have a sommelier assigned to you who can provide the customer service you need in order to feel good about ordering wine from them.

As you and I know it is complete rubbish for a sommelier to tell you that you can not find a nice wine in the price range you are asking about. That is neither service nor salesmanship. We've found that one of the traits of a really great sommelier is their ability to recommend the best wines within any given price range. Apparently yours was too incompetent do to so as there are many wonderful wines on the wine list in the $40 to $50 price range, and as we all know just because a wine costs more it doesn't mean it is better.

From Celebrity's standpoint the Sommelier's job is to make it easy and enjoyable for you to spend money on wine while enjoying yourself and feeling good about the purchase and the Celebrity experience. Yours failed miserably at that by giving you a bad experience and by turning you off to buying any wine on future nights.

Thanks, Larry. I did speak to our Asst. Maitre'd about this and she offered to speak to our sommelier regarding his attitude. I told her not to bother as we are not really big wine drinkers - we occasionally like a glass with our meal. After that, we just brought a glass of wine into the dining room (the Captain's Club Hostess had sent a bottle of red wine to our cabin so we drank that!) and we ordered cocktails from our cocktail server (who, by the way was most accommodating.....so our cocktail server got all our gratuities plus he got a nice extra tip at the end of the 12 nights!!). In all my sailings with Celebrity, this was the first time I was treated this rudely by a sommelier.

Glad all was OK for you in the end.

I'm reminded of a story from our last Med cruise. My wife and I had lunch in a restaurant in Venice that was a bit more upscale than most. They had the most intimidating wine list I've ever seen which was, of course, in Italian. Must have been a minimum of 50 pages and there were sections several pages long where there wasn't a wine under 200 Euros with many well over 500 euros!! The maitre d' came over and asked if he could recommend something and I told him we were looking for a basic white wine which was not expensive. He pointed out a couple around 20 euros (I hadn't been able to even find a section of the list with prices that low yet) and I have to say the wine was as delightful as was the rest of our lunch and went perfectly with it.

Roll forward a year and we were in an Italian Restaurant in downtown Chicago that had another really huge wine list with mostly high priced wines. The waiter asked if he could help and I relayed that this was the second most intimidating wine list I'd ever seen. He jokingly asked what the #1 list was and I told him the name of the restaurant in Venice. Well it turned out he was born and raised in Venice and he worked at that restaurant! He too helped us pick out a nice reasonable wine.

Glad all was OK for you in the end.

I'm reminded of a story from our last Med cruise. My wife and I had lunch in a restaurant in Venice that was a bit more upscale than most. They had the most intimidating wine list I've ever seen which was, of course, in Italian. Must have been a minimum of 50 pages and there were sections several pages long where there wasn't a wine under 200 Euros with many well over 500 euros!! The maitre d' came over and asked if he could recommend something and I told him we were looking for a basic white wine which was not expensive. He pointed out a couple around 20 euros (I hadn't been able to even find a section of the list with prices that low yet) and I have to say the wine was as delightful as was the rest of our lunch and went perfectly with it.

Roll forward a year and we were in an Italian Restaurant in downtown Chicago that had another really huge wine list with mostly high priced wines. The waiter asked if he could help and I relayed that this was the second most intimidating wine list I'd ever seen. He jokingly asked what the #1 list was and I told him the name of the restaurant in Venice. Well it turned out he was born and raised in Venice and he worked at that restaurant! He too helped us pick out a nice reasonable wine.

That is too funny! Great story!

99.9% of the time they are most accommodating. However, on our Silhouette sailing November 6, the sommelier was not very accommodating. I was looking for a nice bottle of red wine - not more than $50 or so. He point blank told me that if I wanted to get a nice wine I would have to buy a bottle of at least $80 or $90. I chose one for $49 and it was perfect. We did not finish the bottle and I asked him if he could cork it and save it for the next night. He was definitely not pelased to do this for us. The next night it was like pulling teeth to have him fetch our bottle. Needless to say, we bought no more wine from him through the rest of the cruise.

No excuse for his behavior.

Archived