Luggage going home

joeyg

Good morning,

I need a little help to plan our next trip. Next July we will be in the 10 day cruise on the Riviera, Accent on Italy. The cruise ends in Venice. We have a question about luggage at the final port. We have our own airfare. Does Oceania offer express bag check in for Delta Airlines direct from your room or on the dock.

This will determine if we take the water shuttle to the airport.

We also are trying the new ocean view rooms.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

I have never encountered express bag check-in as you describe. Believe you should count on being reunited with your luggage pier side the morning you leave unless you have only a small bag that you can carry with you (instead of leaving outside the evening before).

Good morning,

I need a little help to plan our next trip. Next July we will be in the 10 day cruise on the Riviera, Accent on Italy. The cruise ends in Venice. We have a question about luggage at the final port. We have our own airfare. Does Oceania offer express bag check in for Delta Airlines direct from your room or on the dock.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

HAL is the only line I've traveled that does that.

Good morning,

Thanks for any input.

Joe

By water shuttle to the airport, I'm not sure if you mean alilaguna or water taxi. Alilaguna would take over an hour but might be fun if you have the time. The quick and cheaper way is land taxi or even bus. A water bus is VERY slow and a water taxi is relatively slow (about 25 min plus 10 min walk) and expensive (100 euros)

Good morning,

Thanks for any input.

Joe

There will be porters at the dock, and skycaps at the airport, but in the interim, you will be the sole custodian of your belongings-

2005.1124527500.dsc03613.jpg This may well be a blessing to you, as those inexpensive Express Baggage services (at least as they are administered by HAL) tend to stall with each and every variable. :mad:

Good morning,

Thanks for any input.

Joe

Hi Joe, Just wanted to say we are also on that cruise & we also live in a suburb of Chicago. Have you joined our roll-call yet? Not very much activity on it tho, hopfully it will pick up the closer we get to the cruise. This will be our first cruise, so I try to read all questions & answers, and am gaining tons of info from this terrific site.

Good morning,

The reason I was asking is that we went on a princess cruise last year and for around $35 they picked up your luggage outside your room and the next time you saw it was at your home airport. Great service,

Thanks,

Joe

Good morning,

The reason I was asking is that we went on a princess cruise last year and for around $35 they picked up your luggage outside your room and the next time you saw it was at your home airport. Great service,

Thanks,

Joe

Was that for a USA port/flights?

I have never seen this on Oceania as others stated you are on your own.

I would have thought people would spend a day or so in VENICE so your hotel will store your bags while you look around

Enjoy the cruise

Was that for a USA port/flights?

I have never seen this on Oceania as others stated you are on your own.

I would have thought people would spend a day or so in VENICE so your hotel will store your bags while you look around

Enjoy the cruise

Do the hotels transfer your bags from ship to hotel or do you still have to slog them over bridges etc? We have decided not to add extra days in Venice as we are not able to handle our luggage over this terrain. We can barely handle ourselves.

May I suggest you take a taxi to PIAZZALE ROMA drop off your heavy luggage at the baggage store (North side of square), take with you an overnight travel bag to the vaporreta quay and proceed to a hotel of your choice somewhere along the Grand Canal. its too good to miss.

MDZ

Do the hotels transfer your bags from ship to hotel or do you still have to slog them over bridges etc? We have decided not to add extra days in Venice as we are not able to handle our luggage over this terrain. We can barely handle ourselves.

Deb

I do not think they do but I am sure you could get a water taxi quite near the port

We have bags with wheels AWD & they go just about everywhere ;)

• 2 weeks later...
If you speak with Concierge you can keep your luggage in front of your door and the bellman can pick them up when you leave the ship. This is up to Concierge but its possible.

Why would anyone want to do that?

It would make customs a nightmare and you would still have to walk by the luggage claim area in order to leave the cruise-port, anyway.

I don't see ANY advantage.

Deb

I do not think they do but I am sure you could get a water taxi quite near the port

We have bags with wheels AWD & they go just about everywhere ;)

We will also be leaving the ship in Venice on our April 12 cruise, and cannot manage to stay another day in Venice.:( So, does anyone know of a fairly easy way to get to the airport WITH our luggage from the port??

Thanks!

We will also be leaving the ship in Venice on our April 12 cruise, and cannot manage to stay another day in Venice.:( So, does anyone know of a fairly easy way to get to the airport WITH our luggage from the port??

Thanks!

Land taxi will work or you can get to Piazzale Roma & take the bus for about 3-4 E

this site might help with lots of info

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-links.htm

Thanks!

I would think that the easiest way would be the Oceania transfer.

The easiest way is to have a private car service pick you up at the pier and bring you directly to the airport. We did this two years ago and it was cheaper than the Oceania transfer and we were in a brand new Mercedes. You can also share the car if you can find someone on your roll call. Have fun.

The easiest way is to have a private car service pick you up at the pier and bring you directly to the airport. We did this two years ago and it was cheaper than the Oceania transfer and we were in a brand new Mercedes. You can also share the car if you can find someone on your roll call. Have fun.

I just looked at my trip notes. We used http://www.airports-shuttle.com/ and it cost 40 Euros for two with 2 large suitcases. They picked you up at the cruise terminal in an E class Mercedes and took you directly to the airport. This was in April and it took about 25 minutes from pier to airport. Very efficient and cheaper than the Oceania transfer for two.

joeyg: luggage valet is a great service where available.There are two types, one gets luggage from home to the ship and reverse and uses a carrier such as DHL. The other is a service provided for passengers leaving a ship and is simply a way to handle luggage from ship to airport. You also get your airline boarding pass printed as part of the latter service. Generally the latter service is offered by lines with larger ships such as Royal or Princess (more passengers, more willing buyers, more efficient). I have been denied the service on Celebrity because they had a minimum number that they did not meet. My guess would be that O doesn't offer the service because of small numbers.

joeyg: luggage valet is a great service where available.There are two types, one gets luggage from home to the ship and reverse and uses a carrier such as DHL. The other is a service provided for passengers leaving a ship and is simply a way to handle luggage from ship to airport. You also get your airline boarding pass printed as part of the latter service. Generally the latter service is offered by lines with larger ships such as Royal or Princess (more passengers, more willing buyers, more efficient). I have been denied the service on Celebrity because they had a minimum number that they did not meet. My guess would be that O doesn't offer the service because of small numbers.

So why are we discussing it here? :confused:

Archived