Kids clubs age groupings - any flexible?

koalagurl

I know I probably won't like the answer, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We are looking at a cruise to Alaska next summer, with kids who will be 8, 7 and 5 (the 7 and 5 are siblings.)

It seems most clubs are grouped 2/3-5 and 6-8 OR 3-7 and 8-12. So looks like I need to expect the kids to be split up.

However, do any cruise lines offer any flexibility? OR I guess more likely, do any lines have some times where the different age groups could mingle?

Last cruise we went on, my oldest was 6 and in the 6-8 group and hated not being able to play with her cousin and sibling in the 3-5 group.

The lines we are looking at include Princess, HAL, RCI, Celebrity, and NCL (any others??).

This isn't a huge make or break issue, but thought I would at least ask in here. :)

There will be PLENTY of time for them to be together. Certainly, they won't be in the club 24/7!

Your older child will be bored stiff if put in the younger group, and they won't move the younger child up, unless they have evidence that the younger child is WAAAY advanced for their age...and they have to be pretty close to the next age group, too.

The youngest is going to be 5 but turning 6 in September, so yes, he would be pretty much at the top end of the group (we are looking to cruise in July.)

I know they won't be in there much, but if we do want to enjoy some time with just the adults it will be hardest on the "lone child." We just went through that with the last cruise, and while I did say that it wasn't a deal breaker, I thought if other things being equal (itinerary, etc.) that if there was a line that has the potential to be a bit more flexible, it may sway our choice. :)

Yes, they will be split up. My experience with HAL is that they will let the kids move down, but not up. I don't think the older ones would want to be down in the younger group.

This issue comes up a lot here. I honestly don't think once they are on the ship that it's so important. Alaska cruises are port intensive. They won't spend that much time in the clubs. They will meet plenty of others their age and have fun, even if they are split up.

I've never had any children that wanted to be with each other.

Disney allows comingling of the age groups.

Yes this. ;)

And on NCL - during "Freestyle Play" they combine all of the groups (under 12). And if you are on a sailing that doesn't have many kids, they are more likely to combine the ages. On my NCL sailing they combined the 6 - 12's for the entire week. But I wouldn't bank on it. You never know how many kids will be on Alaska for Summer.

Archived