Price drop in UK booking

kasijab

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I booked for next July on Silhouette directly with Celebrity. Just been informed of a big price drop and having checked it appears to be about £250 each. Can we get price drops in the UK honoured or is it just in the US?

Any input would be appreciated, before I phone them and do battle.

You should not have to do battle. As I am sure you know the rules for the UK are different from the US. i.e we can't cancel and get the deposit refunded etc. We have had price drops before and as you are so far away from final payment you should get the new price. In the US I understand they can only get an upgraded cabin or perhaps OBC.

I'd read about the price guarantee, as I'd got a much better price almost straight after booking with Celebrity but it turned out it was only for North American bookings, and doesn't apply in the UK.

It never hurts to ask, they can only say no.

Last year we booked direct with Celebrity an Eclipse Aqua class cabin for the Venice cruise last month. In the spring they were selling Aqua cabins some £900 less than we paid. We tried for a refund, but the offer was for 'new bookings only', so much for their price promise. Unfortunatley we in the UK are not treated as well as our cousins across the pond. If we cancelled and rebooked, we would have lost our deposit, free parking and OBC.

P&O did this to us in 2009, reduced a booked cabin by £1000, and they had the cheek to write to us and tell us they had reduced the price, and would give us £400 off a new booking!

Still prefer Celebrity!

Richard

You may be able to get the price drop, but they may claim that the reduced price is "for new bookings only" and if so, you are out of luck.

Our July '11 Equinox cruise had a BIG price drop, but they would not honour it for existing bookings. The difference was big enough to make it worth losing the deposit, so we cancelled and rebooked.

We're looking for a late summer X Med cruise at the moment but the prices are so high compared to this year, we're just not prepared to commit at that rate and have the same thing happen again, so we're playing the waiting game!

Last year we booked direct with Celebrity an Eclipse Aqua class cabin for the Venice cruise last month. In the spring they were selling Aqua cabins some £900 less than we paid. We tried for a refund, but the offer was for 'new bookings only', so much for their price promise. Unfortunatley we in the UK are not treated as well as our cousins across the pond. If we cancelled and rebooked, we would have lost our deposit, free parking and OBC.

Our terms and conditions are DIFFERENT in the UK and, in many respects, that is better rather than worse. Certainly, in the US, they are also denied lower prices if they are for "new bookings only". We have non-refundable deposits but much better protection in law if travel plans are disrupted.

UK price drops [which do not have conditions such as for new bookings only] are honoured by Celebrity in the UK but, if you have booked through a travel agent, they may not honour them. It is always worth asking.

Sue

If you booked direct with X just call and ask them

As many have said some prices may be for new bookings only in which case you cannot have the price offered.

If you booked via a TA they will have to call and ask. Some TAs claim they have never heard of the price drop policy as it effects their commission.

Let us know how you get on.

I have had something similar happen to my booking recently.

I booked with the.. um.. "cold house" TA and they said new bookings only.

Is there any other approach? Wait to near final payment and try to get cabin upgraded (perhaps for small fee?) ?

Thank you all for your input .. just spoke to a lovely lady called Nicky and she said in some circumstances they will honour up to 3 price drops per booking. She checked mine and has reduced the cost by £254 per person ..so I would call that a result! That will pay for our drinks package :D

Good news, we were assured that they would honour the price drops too when we booked through a TA. She actually asked Celebrity whilst I was sitting there and the guy said something about the first price drop being free and then there was a small charge for any future price drops if I remember correctly.

If you booked directly with Celebrity, it really is worth contacting them about the price drop. I had booked really early for an Equinox cruise earlier this year. There were 3 price drops and each time, it only took a call to Celebrity and my amount to pay was reduced. It amounted to a saving of £1300 for 4 of us. I would certainly say give it a try.:)

Thank you all for your input .. just spoke to a lovely lady called Nicky and she said in some circumstances they will honour up to 3 price drops per booking. She checked mine and has reduced the cost by £254 per person ..so I would call that a result! That will pay for our drinks package :D

Glad it worked out for you. But what 'Nicky' said is not true though - the first price drop/major change to your booking is free and then any subsequent change incurs £35pp admin fee. Just as Shoreham01 says.

Glad it worked out for you. But what 'Nicky' said is not true though - the first price drop/major change to your booking is free and then any subsequent change incurs £35pp admin fee. Just as Shoreham01 says.

Sorry if I have misled anyone then, but I was definately not told of any charge for subsequent changes ..just ..and I quote ..that my first change has gone through and will send an email confirmation, which she did immediately.

Archived