First Time Alaska Cruiser...

scarlett19

I am looking to do an Alaskan cruise in July or August 2012. I need help for those who have cruised to Alaska before. Do you suggest the Inside Passage? The Glacier Discovery? The Alaskan Explorer? Which itinerary do you think is better? Thank you!

If you are planning one cruise to Alaska, I would recommend the Inside Passage. The r/t Vancouver iteneraries are, IMHO, the most scenic. Also, if you are succeptable to motion sickness, the Inside Passsage cruises are, again IMHO, the least likely to have rough water.

However, that being said, what you should base your cruise on is what is a priority for you. If you are wanting glacier visits, base your cruise itenerary on those that have multiple glacier visits. Be aware that many cruise lines are limiting their visits to Hubbard Glacier due to the belief that the cruise ships are having a negative impact on the seal population around Hubbard.

Another consideration is airfare. With the one-way iteneraries, the airfare may be higher as you're booking an 'open jaw' flight rather than a roundtrip.

BTW, unless you plan a shore excursion that takes you inland, you won't experience mosquitoes as the port cities don't typically have many problems with those.

Summer before last in early July we did the Inside passage - Vancouver to Anchorage - on Celebrity.

Before we booked the cruise I had not had much desire to go on an Alaskan cruise, but the scenery was so spectacular, I was amazed. Impossible to describe the beauty of the passage. We really had a wonderful trip, ending with the train ride to Anchorage.

I have heard from others that the Inside Passage is the way to go.

We lived in Alaska for over 40 years, and the last 20, lived on our own boat in Ketchikan for 10 and Sitka for 10. We cruised all over in the Inside Passage from Skagway to Seattle. The bugs won't "bug" you on the ship, or in the towns (Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, etc.). If you go on a shore excursion that includes a river, or go inland a bit, there will be bugs.

Sometimes, when the sun is out, the black flies come out (big ones!) but they were never in town and only plagued us when we were anchored in some nice little bay trying to get another coat of varnish on the rails. You won't have any trouble with them on the cruise ship, I promise.

I think late June to early July is a good time to cruise...the only iffy times are May and September. And, like anywhere, the weather is hit and miss. Sometimes fabulous, sometimes rainy, but Alaska is beautiful no matter what.

I wish you fair winds and following seas! :)

Have you considered combining a cruise with a tour package? Denali is really worth visiting.

Totally agreed! If you can handle the time and expense, I'd recommend a one-way northbound from Vancouver to Seward, followed by an overland trip at least as far as Denali, and also around the Kenai Peninsula if you have the time. Then you can fly back from Anchorage.

On the northbound route, the scenery just keeps getting better! The land portion can be done on your own if you prefer not to tour - just rent a car or RV. But if you go this route, be sure to book EVERYTHING well in advance to avoid disappointment.

Does it need to be July? I understand it is quite "buggy" then.

I was in Alaska in July this year and trekked deep into the forest to the Anan Creek Observatory to watch the bears. I didn't notice any bugs and I have a huge bug phobia. Never saw a bug anywhere. Maybe the bugs were all in Denali?

I was in Alaska in July this year and trekked deep into the forest to the Anan Creek Observatory to watch the bears. I didn't notice any bugs and I have a huge bug phobia. Never saw a bug anywhere. Maybe the bugs were all in Denali?

Anan Bay would not be considered deep into the forest! :D Lol!

Have you considered combining a cruise with a tour package? Denali is really worth visiting.

Last July the day I was in Anchorage was so clear that we could see the top of Mt. McKinley from the Crows nest of the Amsterdam.

My first cruise was with HAL to Alaska. We choose the 7-Day Alaskan Explorer. Our first night on board the swells really picked up. I took "Less Drowsy Dramamine" and my husband didn't. He was regretting it by the next morning. After we made it through the first night and next day the swells were not as bad. Entering Glacier Bay was beautiful, whale spouts and land were all around. We wanted that same feeling for our next trip, so we booked the Inside Passage from Vancouver. Flying to Vancouver is usually a little more costly, but I think it is going to be worth it!

If you can spare the time, do HAL's 14 day itinerary, roundtrip Seattle. It is just spectacular! Going to the little visited ports is a thrill and an adventure. I've done it twice, and wouldn't hesitate to book it again....if only my lottery tickets would come up winners;)!

While the 14 day itinerary does sound wonderful, the route on the outside of Vancouver Island (open ocean) and crossing the Gulf of Alaska twice (more open ocean) isn't appealing. If you have any tendency to motion sickness, that route is disaster. I sure wouldn't recommend it for a first timer to Alaska. Sailing from Vancouver on the inside of Vancouver Island would be much better.

Hi, all.

Are there any significant benefits/drawbacks to taking the Volendam vs. the Zuiderdam for the Inside Passage itinerary?

The biggest benefit to taking the Volendam is that it's a Wednesday departure. You share the ports with fewer people than you would on the Zuiderdam. Secondary to that, there are smaller crowds at the airport when you return (and the crowds are still large).

Beyond that, the Volendam is a smaller ship, and has a more intimate feel to it. It's easier to get from forward to aft, side to side, top deck to promenade. There's lots of open deck space for viewing.

Archived