Latest time you can board

josie724

The problem with sailing Jan 2 is that to follow the always given advice to fly in one or two days early requires you to fly in either on NewYears Eve or New Years Day (I'm sure everyone who said fly in a day or two early already knows that). That requires getting a hotel room on a holiday also. So I understand why you are flying in Jan 2.

On our very first cruise we didn't know any better and took HAL air (in January). They flew us with a connection to Cleveland to Miami getting us to the ship in the early afternoon. Watch the long term weather and if it looks ok you will be fine. Lots and lots of people fly in the same day (many with cruise air).

If it looks like a storm is coming then make alternative plans...even if that means a couple of days earlier getting in the car and bopping down I95.

That being said I probably would have looked at driving to Newark to get an earlier nonstop flight with a ton of back up choices.

Just remember that you don't have to live in the frozen north or be traveling in the middle of winter to get caught in weather or equipment delays. My wife and I got married in Huntsville, Alabama in late March years ago and our honeymoon was a cruise on the Ryndam out of Ft Lauderdale. I let my TA at the time talk me into leaving the day of the cruise using HAL air. She thought that early in spring coming out of the south we'd have no issues. So what really happen was a thunderstorm delay in Atlanta which kept us on the ground in Huntsville and then once we arrived in Atlanta....having been moved to a later flight by HAL....getting on a plane that had a mechanical issue. I literally ran up and down the terminal in Atlanta trying to get on one of the other flights going to Ft Lauderdale and found one they'd let us on. Long story short we arrived at the cruise terminal 45 minutes before the Ryndam was scheduled to sail and actually boarded through the cargo entrance after waiting for a pallet load of bananas to be loaded. That was it, never again, and we always fly in the day before. Should add that all this happened years before 9/11 and the present security guidelines, rules, etc., so I don't know if we could pull off the same "heart attack" adventure today.

Watch the long term weather and if it looks ok you will be fine. Lots and lots of people fly in the same day (many with cruise air).

If it looks like a storm is coming then make alternative plans...even if that means a couple of days earlier getting in the car and bopping down I95.

That being said I probably would have looked at driving to Newark to get an earlier nonstop flight with a ton of back up choices.

That's the plan, Although I still think flying out of Westchester Airport is a better choice, we COULD get a slightly earlier flight out of JFK or Newark, but I feel the more congested an airport is, the more likely we would be delayed. Luckily if there is a problem with our plane, there are a few choices out of Westchester that would put us on a flight to West Palm Beach, which is yet another option. I've already warned my husband, that if bad weather is predicted get ready to drive.....LOL

But really? Where is my crystal ball when I need it....LOL

Archived