no passport needed????

molly5673

i have called RC 20 times since we booked our cruise to the bahamas to make sure we dont need passports. everytime they say no just our birth certificates and my marriage cert sinced my last name has changed due to marriage. i am so paranoid that i judt dont believe them. LOL Tel me if you have done this and if you have had any problems. please ease my paranoid mind. Never been on a cruise before so i have no prior experience.

Thanks

i have called RC 20 times since we booked our cruise to the bahamas to make sure we dont need passports. everytime they say no just our birth certificates and my marriage cert sinced my last name has changed due to marriage. i am so paranoid that i judt dont believe them. LOL Tel me if you have done this and if you have had any problems. please ease my paranoid mind. Never been on a cruise before so i have no prior experience.

Thanks

As a USC, you don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise to the Bahamas, just government issued photo id, certified birth certificate and official documentation to show change of name if the name on the BC is different to the name on the photo ID

What they told you is true.

Since it is a closed loop cruise your birth certificate will be fine.

However the reason you should have a passport is because if you need to fly back for some reason you will not be able to get through customs at the airport with a birth certificate.

Thanks

First off, are you a US citizen? Second, what ports are you going to and what port are you leaving and coming back too?

There are different rules depending on ports and if the cruise is returning to the same port you are leaving from.

Thanks

Do yourself a favor to ease your paranoid mind and just get the Passports if there is still time and if you plan on cruising again......To answer your question, if you are a US citizen sailing on a "closed loop" cruise a Passport is NOT required........HIGHLY recommended but NOT required :)

Get a passport anyway.

I think every US citizen should have a passport, there is no reason not to have one.

When Japan has its earthquake/tsunami there were hundreds of people that wanted to leave the country and couldnt because they didnt have a passport.

Its the ultimate form a ID and will work when nothing else will.

They are fairly easy to get and even easier to renew.

There are 2 types of cruises. Open cruise and close loop cruise.

An open cruise is where you start one place and end somewhere else. For these cruises you DO need a passport.

A close loop cruise is a cruise that starts in one port and returns to the same port. You do NOT need a passport for these cruises.

I travel all the time with my drivers license and birth certificate. Don't sweat it but if it gives you nightmares, get a passport.

One things others have NOT mentioned is to make sure your Birth Certificate is an original ...... issued by a State agency, with the raised seal. Some have had issues with BCs issued by hospitals.

All tsunami and earthquake logic aside :D :D ....... getting a passport is the easiest way to go.

make sure you can connect all your names as well....and again, make sure it's the official, govenrment-agency issued version...

my aunt and i just cruised and she only had her BC, marriage cert and DL....no issues....only took an extra 15 seconds.....now that she loved her trip, she will probably get a passport.....

i feel better now

Just remember, not ONE person here will be checking you in at the port or setting the rules for what documentation you will need. So, all basic doc info for your cruise should come from your cruise line- they will be the ones checking you in at the terminal. Having a passport is an excellent tip though.

Do yourself a favor to ease your paranoid mind and just get the Passports if there is still time and if you plan on cruising again......To answer your question, if you are a US citizen sailing on a "closed loop" cruise a Passport is NOT required........HIGHLY recommended but NOT required :)

"Ditto":)

Everything said previously is good info ... Just my two cents, however:

1) It's the DHS that sets the rules regarding what documents are accepted and what documents are not accepted

2) At check in, the cruise line Rep is the front line for making sure the documents you've presented are sufficient to allow you to board the vessel, and that the documents establish both your identity and citizenship. In case of issues, there are DHS individuals on site to make a "final determination"

3) As of today ... For US citizens on a closed loop cruise, while Passports are recommended, certified state issued birth certificates with a raised seal plus a photo ID are accepted. It is the responsibility of the traveller to ensure that the B/C presented is "official" and "certified" by the appropriate governmental authority, and the cruise line will not hold themselves responsible if there is an issue. For a non US citizen who is a Permanent Resident of the US, plan to bring your national passport PLUS your LPR (Green) Card at check in. For a non-US citizen / non-US Permanent Resident, bring your national passport.

4) # 3 not withstanding, it is the responsibility of the traveller to ensure that they have any VISA's that are required by the countries being visited during the cruise. The cruise line is not responsible if you do not have the proper visa

5) For an open end cruise, US Citizens need a passport.

6) Having a passport always makes your international travel easier.

7) About 2 months ago, there was a program on one of the cable channels describing what happens during "turn-around day" for a cruise ship (in this case, the Oasis). A part of the program involved the cruise line having to deny boarding to several individuals due to issues either with the documents they presented or information contained on the ships official manifest, which is presented to DHS. Overall, a very interesting show, but in the context of this conversation, this part of the program was most enlightening.

Michael

i feel better now

Good. :)

Molly, just a question - is there a reason you do not have a passport? None of our business, but since you did post about it here, I wanted to ask. Passports seem expensive, I know - but adult passports are good for 10 years. Divided by 10 years, it's really not such a huge investment per year, plus the whole world is opened up to you. Cruising is a wonderful way to travel and there are so many fabulous and interesting itineraries out there.... imagine what having a passport could mean to you.

I hope you'll consider getting one. Take care. :)

Archived