Sleep Apnea Machine

mkleblanc

Hi- DH and I are going on our first cruise in March aboard Carnival Glory. YAY! DH has severe sleep apnea and requires sleeping with a breathing machine. Are the outlets in the room close to the bed? Should we bring a power strip just in case? I've read things here and there recently saying that power strips have been taken out of checked baggage and stored in the Naughty Room. Should I be worried? Thoughts....

No, sorry to say, the outlets are generally across the cabin from the bed. You'll need to bring along an extension cord... not a problem.

You may want to bring a power strip as there's only one 110 outlet in the cabin... with the exception of the Carnival Magic which has two...

:)

I have an apnea machine also. Outlet location is different on different cabins and ships so I wouldn't gamble it. I usually pack a pwr strip in my check in bags and had always been fine. After reading about cases of confiscations I put the strip in with the machine as part of my carry on and didn't get any fuss about it on my last trip.

I have an apnea machine also. Outlet location is different on different cabins and ships so I wouldn't gamble it. I usually pack a pwr strip in my check in bags and had always been fine. After reading about cases of confiscations I put the strip in with the machine as part of my carry on and didn't get any fuss about it on my last trip.

Great suggestion. Thanks!!

Can we bring a splitter to plug in two CPAP's or will that blow the circuit? My husband and I each need one. Is there another outlet in the bathroom that we could use to charge batteries?

thanks!

When my daughter and I travel together, we bring a splitter and 2 extension cords as we both use machines. The outlet in the bathroom is only for shavers

This is what I have done for the last 7 years. I pack a multi-outlet UL approved (no cuts or exposed sections) strip in with my CPAP. Make sure it is at least 10 feet long as it will go over the part of the cabin rug that you traverse to get to the bathroom. I loop it around the trash can so that it stays flat. I have also read on this site that some people bring duct tape to secure it to the floor. I also purchase a gallon of distilled water before boarding. It is cheaper even if you have to throw the remainder out at the end of the cruise. I think it was about $1 in Walgreens and Carnival was going to charge me $7-10. Another thing to consider is unplugging the television at night and using that outlet (which is behind the tv) for the power strip. That way it is closer to the beds.

Hi- DH and I are going on our first cruise in March aboard Carnival Glory. YAY! DH has severe sleep apnea and requires sleeping with a breathing machine. Are the outlets in the room close to the bed? Should we bring a power strip just in case? I've read things here and there recently saying that power strips have been taken out of checked baggage and stored in the Naughty Room. Should I be worried? Thoughts....

I have used a 20 foot, non-grounded, white extension cord that has three outlets on one end, two on one side and one on the other, you have probably seen them at the hardware store. It coils up easily and fits in the machine bag.

Then you can plug in the machine, plus the humidifier if separate, and still have an outlet left for a charger. I have also purchased a 220v adapter, it is a round black thing with two round prongs that plugs into the 220v outlet in the room. It cost about $2. Then you have another outlet on most Carnival ships. Be sure what you plug into it can use the higher voltage, most chargers can, and my macbook likes it too. Do not plug a breathing machine into the high voltage if it has an integral humidifier. I travel with an old Puritan Benett that works great and also works on 220v, but not the humidifier which requires 110v.

This 20 foot extension cord has been real handy. Some of the hotel rooms in Europe only have outlets in strange places and I need my machine to get some rest.

Carnival Magic has two 110v outlets, but they straddle the phone jack, and my camera battery charger didn't go in very well, so I used the extension cord. With the 220v adapter we could charge two phones, a Nuvi, and the camera battery, and the laptop. We were in tall cotton.

Have a good time on your cruise. The Carnival Glory is nice.

On the Conquest they wanted us to use their extension cord. The room steward got us one and put it out at night and rolled it up during the day. We brought our own just in case, but he asked us to use his. No problem. We brought an already opened container of water. I knew that we didn't want a full gallon.

Nancy

I keep a long extension cord plugged into my CPAP even at home. The cord just sits behind the nightstand, but I don't have to worry about leaving it when I travel. Onboard the ship I unplug the CPAP during the day if I have to charge something...like my NOOK.

I use the ship's water, since it's distilled, and have always done that on every cruise line.

Even did it on a 14 day, with no adverse side effects to the CPAP or to me.

There were a lot of postings on the RCCL board about extension cords being confiscated,

so I bought an extra one and laid it around the inside edge of my checked bag. Neither that one or the one in my CPAP carry on was questioned.

I agree with every post written so far. We have been on 14 cruises and bring the Sleep Apnea machine for my wife. It seems like if you put the extension cord in your carry on with the machine, you are more apt to get it aboard. I know it has been seen since I saw the inspector take it out and put it back. That may not happen it you just put it into one of your suit cases sent to the ship.

As already said, ship water is distilled which probably makes it cleaner than the water you drink in the cities. Distilled water is basically sea water that is boiled and then the steam is condensed to fresh water.

Most of the time, the cord for the machine will not reach the electrical outlet. You will need an extension and you can get one from the Steward. If I remember right, some times they give you one that is really long and we had cord all over the cabin.

I have carried it on in Miami and Port Canaveral with no issues, will be carrying on in Tampa in Janaury. However, the point about on-board water being distilled seems to be very valid and something that I really didn't ponder. Perhaps the water issue is a non-issue.

On every one of our Carnival cruises, I have requested an extension cord via the "special requests" portion of checking in. Except for the cruises in 2004 and 2005, I have been informed by either my TA or by Carnival that it would be better to bring my own. Interestingly, on our only non-Carnival cruise in 2005, RCCL provided a cord and a gallon of water with no charge (they also placed a NO SMOKING sign on our door so they obviously didn't understand what a CPAP was.)

Archived