Port of New Orleans

kijjy

Has anyone sailed out of New Orleans? If so, is it organized or disorganized and what else can you tell me about it?

Thanks

Have you missed all of the recent threads about the nightmare departures out of NO? Search Voyager, New Orleans or simply scan through the top to pages of threads. There are at least 3 active threads on the subject.

from another thread...

Just got off Voyager yesterday. The port canNOT handle this size ship. It was taking people a couple of hours once they got to the port to get close enough to drop off their luggage. Getting off the ship was also a problem! Be prepared to lug all of your luggage. They only have a small number of porters to assist with luggage in the port. People were waiting for more than a half hour just to get somebody to help.... Also just a warning, it is a VERY long walk to get through customs and then out of the port.

Just off the 19 Nov sailing as well and another issue that RCI is having with the port is the loading/unloading of supplies and luggage.

According to some comments the Captain made at the past guest reception, the setup of the dock relative to the ship loading doors is such that the doors are lower than the dock. This prevents them from driving forklifts directly onto the vessel to load supplies and baggage.

They didn't know about this in advance so that was the main reason for the long delay on the first sailing and shorter delays on subsequent ones.

Loading is a long process because they have to transfer pallets into a frame that can then be lowered to the ship door, where it is then unloaded by another forklift that is on the ship.

So instead of a simple one-step process, it takes much longer to get the ship loaded.

In addition on the 11/12 departure, they seemed to have what we assumed were some kind of union restrictions. Each container of luggage would be brought through the gates by one driver then set down, driven through the warehouse by another then set on the pier and then loaded on the frame by yet another. Some containers were actually moved a couple of times more when queing for the frame to be lowered in to the ship.

I am flying in the day of my Jan 7 cruise....hope to simply get a cab to the ship. The flights lands at 10:15. What are my chances of having a "smooth" check in???

There are some basic issues with traffic flow around the terminal that only major modifications can fix, so when another ship is in port as well (such as on 19 November), the traffic is going to get backed up. This will particularly be a problem if you arrive during the time that the ships are still disembarking, since the pick-up traffic shares the same lanes as the drop-off traffic.

On the 19th, a Carnival ship was also in port, and the peak times appeared to be between 11 am and 1 pm. I heard from some people who arrived after 1:30 pm that it wasn't so bad.

Until the port re-works the traffic flow, just expect for the worst and try not to stress out... you'll soon be on a cruise!

Before Katrina, the port of New Orleans regularly handled multiple ships with few problems.

They should have the kinks worked out in the near future, with more personnel and equipment.

We went to the pier on 11/19 to see the Voyager on its maiden departure. The Carnival ship left just about on time, but Voyager was still loading.

This will particularly be a problem if you arrive during the time that the ships are still disembarking, since the pick-up traffic shares the same lanes as the drop-off traffic.

On the 19th, a Carnival ship was also in port, and the peak times appeared to be between 11 am and 1 pm. I heard from some people who arrived after 1:30 pm that it wasn't so bad.!

This is my plan. No rush to get on the ship. Enjoy the French Quarter for a while and hope to get on with less wait. So many like to start the cruise early. To me, this is one time to start later and enjoy the great port it leaves from.

MrCruzDoggie Don't judge all of us locals by the few. Most of us act much better than those bozos.

Anyway my friends and I who live near the Port always head over early for around 11am and sometimes you have a slight wait for the passengers change over to occur, but usually on by noon. Now I have other friends who drive in from the near suburbs and aim to get to the pier for 3pm which makes me very nervous due to the unforeseen traffic, accidents or other situations beyond one's control that could occur.

I had a friend in one of the best suites planning on getting there for the latest check in possible. I told him I was going to move into his suite and wave goodbye to him as the ship pulls out. haha. Also told him that he would actually feel better getting there early to enjoy the VIP check in, meeting the butler, concierge etc. He took my advice and was in his suite by 1pm.

We sailed out of New Orleans on the NCL Spirit back in July. We had no problems with the port area, traffic flowed smoothly, bags taken quickly and efficiently. Spirit was the only ship in port.

Since we were suite passengers, our boarding experience in the terminal was a little different than the experience for the non-suite passengers, but from what we could tell, all the lines appeared to be moving well, check-ins seemed to be handled efficiently, and people were getting on board about as quickly as you would expect.

I think the only thing you should check would be what else is going on in the city on the day you're scheduled to board. If there's a Saints or other football game, or some large city event, it could put more traffic out in the streets and you'd want to adjust your travel time accordingly.

We boarded the Spirit last December without any problems. Last month the Spirit was docked at the new terminal and it took forever! Our taxi driver was having a fit because he was stuck in traffic at the port. They also had the drop off point closed off so passengers had to walk down the street to get inside the building. Hope they get the kinks worked out pretty soon.

Pat

We are just off of the Voyager of the Seas. We are locals and have sailed out of New Orleans many times with no problems at all (and have sailed out of other places as well so we have something to compare to). It was never a problem in the past but this time, the only big problem was the traffic flow trying to get into the terminal. There are ways around this issue though. I just wrote my review and I included what to do. I wrote:

Disembarkation was the easiest and fastest we have ever had on any ship. Embarkation was very fast and easy once you got to the terminal. If you want a much easier way to get to the ship (this is for RCCL but you can keep walking to your right to get to the Carnival terminal), do this: Do not get in the long line of traffic that leads you into the terminal. Instead, get dropped off at the corner of Julia Street and Convention Center Blvd. (Mulates restaurant is across the street.) You then walk about one block to the railroad tracks and the terminal is right there. There is a gate that is open and people will then direct you into the terminal door. Yes, you have to roll your luggage a block but it is worth it. Also, there is a parking lot (but not covered) across the street from Mulates or there were lots of other places to park. Just don't get into that long line of traffic and you will get onto the ship very quickly.

Mrcruzdoggie - Sorry you were treated like that. That is unlike any "local" I know. Definitely not the norm here!:)

Embarkation was very fast and easy once you got to the terminal. If you want a much easier way to get to the ship (this is for RCCL but you can keep walking to your right to get to the Carnival terminal), do this: Do not get in the long line of traffic that leads you into the terminal. Instead, get dropped off at the corner of Julia Street and Convention Center Blvd. (Mulates restaurant is across the street.) You then walk about one block to the railroad tracks and the terminal is right there. There is a gate that is open and people will then direct you into the terminal door. Yes, you have to roll your luggage a block but it is worth it. Also, there is a parking lot (but not covered) across the street from Mulates or there were lots of other places to park. Just don't get into that long line of traffic and you will get onto the ship very quickly.

Thank you! We're going to give this method a try tomorrow morning. We were down this today, walked around the area and enjoyed the street car rides, riverwalk, etc. I'll be back to let you know how it works for us.

World Gallery-Thanks for the tip!! I'm wondering if you are in a taxi that the drivers know your tip and instead of waiting on that line would give the same suggestion?

First time we went down for the Saints game we found it odd that the driver did not drop us off at the hotel but yet droped us off in another place and told us how to get to the hotel from there. We then figured out he was spot on and made it back much quicker!!:)

fredmdcruisers-by now I'm thinking you are no longer checking CC and getting ready to sail. Have a great time!!!

The taxi may or may not know this. Since having this 2nd cruise ship terminal is so new to New Orleans, he may not, but surely any taxi driver would knew Mulates restaurant and also the street names.

I have heard from non-locals that New Orleans is one of the most complicated cities to drive around in because of all of the one-way streets and crazy layout of the city but taxi drivers will knew it very well.

Another note, the reason a taxi can't drive you down the one block to the railroad tracks is because this street is a one way street (you can't go down this street and the only cars that are coming from the railroad tracks are the ones that are exiting the large parking lot that backs up to the terminal).

Really, the bottom line for avoiding traffic and getting to any of the ships quickly is to not get into the long line of traffic that leads into the terminal. There is only one way in and until New Orleans gets this bottle neck figured out, just get as close as you and walk the one block from Convention Center Blvd.

Thank you! We're going to give this method a try tomorrow morning. We were down this today, walked around the area and enjoyed the street car rides, riverwalk, etc. I'll be back to let you know how it works for us.

Yes, please let me know how it works. I can try and think of modifications if it doesn't work but I can't see how it wouldn't work, unless the gates are close. If that is the case, I would stand at the gate/fence and try to flag down one of the many security officers and ask. Doing it in a funny and nice way will usually get results in New Orleans!

There are 2 Carnival ships - one is the Conquest sailing 7 night cruises with Sunday departures and the other is the Elation sailing on 4 or 5-night cruises including every other Saturday (alternating with Thursday and Monday departures). This is what we had pre-Katrina with 2 other ships in port.

I know one of the problems the first weekend for Voyager was a huge jewelry/gift show (Helen Brett) at the convention center. This draws thousands of locals.

Archived