Flight to Puerto Rico

rolloman

I am a little nervous as I have no choice but to fly into Puerto Rico same day as the sailing. The flight is supposed to arrive at 330pm. The next flight gets in around 7:30pm. The AOS departs at 10pm. Theoretically what is the latest you can check in? What is the latest anyone out there has ever checked in before departure?

• 2 weeks later...

They will let you on up to sailing in case of flight delay. Just call them if you are hung up with flight delays. I have even had them hold the ship but that is the captain's call and along shot-havingn cruise air helps-but people are still boarding up to the last minute. They know who they are expecting and they want to accomodate you.

PR is actually one of those ports where the ships will work with you. The airport is small, and has a hard time accomodating all the travelers who come in for the cruise ships. There simply aren't that many choices in flights. As such, most ships leave from PR late in the evening, to accomodate for more flights to come in. As many cruise lines are really struggling to get the Southern Caribbean itinerary going, they are more willing to be flexible. As such, they typically will wait for airlines to come in.

• 3 weeks later...

Our flight comes in at 4:30 to San Juan and we are taking a cab to the ship. First we have to make a stop on the way in Isla Verde for about 20 minutes to drop some stuff off and then board the ship. We should have more than enough time but my question is that we are honeymooning and we want to have a table for 2 and they wouldn't guarantee it for us so, if we don't have it, we want to go ask the maitre d' to change us to one (with a little tip for him for incentive). do you think it will be too late to do that by the time we get there?

• 2 weeks later...
PR is actually one of those ports where the ships will work with you. The airport is small, and has a hard time accomodating all the travelers who come in for the cruise ships. There simply aren't that many choices in flights. As such, most ships leave from PR late in the evening, to accomodate for more flights to come in. As many cruise lines are really struggling to get the Southern Caribbean itinerary going, they are more willing to be flexible. As such, they typically will wait for airlines to come in.

Is the San Juan airport easy to use, you said above that the cruise lines are strugling to to get the S.C. rolling is that because of problems with the airport?? I will be coming in a few days early by come in late at night, just was wondering if I will have problems. :confused: :confused:

I wouldn't say that the airport is difficult to use but it can be somewhat disfunctional.

When we were there it took forever for luggage to show up in baggage claim. It was almost like the workers went on a break or something. Once we got the bags it was a very long walk from baggage claim to the exit and the area where you get the taxis. And there was one person at the exit checking baggage claim checks to make sure you were not stealing luggage. That caused a tremendous back log of people.

I would be happy to never be at that airport again but it was worth it. We had a great cruise out of San Juan.

My experience with the airport in San juan was not to bad.

Yes it was not well marked but if you pay attention the baggage claim area is pretty easy to find.

If you booked your air through the cruise line it is really easy. Go get your luggage. Get in line for the shuttle. Place the luggage in the truck and get on the shuttle bus.

We arrived at San juan at 12:55 and were on the ship before 3:00. Everything went very smooth and quickly.

Archived