how to adjust the daily service charge with HAL?

Dennis75

Removing the service charge sounds to me like walking out of a restaurant without leaving a tip . Reducing it just sounds cheap . And have you seen 2 year olds at restaurants "decorate" the floor with their food ? I really hope their parents tip more not less for that mess .

I don't understand what you are saying. It sounds like what I've said...but I can't tell. I've been cruising for a long time so I know how things used to be. I also know lots of people stiffed the staff saying the tips were included. Because some people are cheap HAL decided to add the service charge. Still...plenty of cheapies are still around:eek:.

I was stating the reason for the service charge, but disagreeing with trusting HAL or any other business to distribute my "tip" for me. While I'd rather tip in person, I don't as I realize that the industry has changed and that the new method is the most practical given alternative dining, team stewards, etc. I also agree that many have ended up stiffing the crew thinking that since they ate in the lido there was no need to tip.

This is crunch week for me (finals and grading), so I may not be entirely lucid. I'm just stopping by CC every now and then for a mental timeout.

Sorry if I wasn't clear or simply reiterated what you said.

I've cruise with a 2 year old - we gave extra to everyone - he was extra work - diapers, sippy cups, Cheerios accidentally dumped in the bed, he ate the food that they prepared, served & cleaned up after. They had his high chair ready when we get to the MDR... he slpet in a crib that had linens that needed to be cleaned, he used towelks when we bathed him. I can go on & on about how a 2 year old passenger takes as much effort if not more than a adult one.

Guess it depends on the parents. I wouldn't leave diapers for a steward to clean up, nor would I leave Cheerios in the bed. Linens and towells, yes. Anything else I'd do myself as a parent.

I failed to mention that you are travelling on a Cristmas cruise - ask the people who you plan to stiff how seeing their family - oh wait a minute, they will be working... (Paying for health insurance that you don't have to cover & room & board that Ft. Drum probably also covers for you...)[/quote

Excuse me but a soldier has a job and works, puts his life on the line, for these benefits which are part of his pay, a quarters allowance but not "room and board" Also I am sure this soldier knows all about being away from family and in much worse places than a cruise ship. Afganistan or Iraq come to mind.

I was stating the reason for the service charge, but disagreeing with trusting HAL or any other business to distribute my "tip" for me. While I'd rather tip in person, I don't as I realize that the industry has changed and that the new method is the most practical given alternative dining, team stewards, etc. I also agree that many have ended up stiffing the crew thinking that since they ate in the lido there was no need to tip.

This is crunch week for me (finals and grading), so I may not be entirely lucid. I'm just stopping by CC every now and then for a mental timeout.

Sorry if I wasn't clear or simply reiterated what you said.

I wasn't sure if it was just me that didn't understand. I like the service charge being in place. I never liked handing envelopes or money to people and never knew what I should tip in the past. Now, I do tend to tip over if the crew exceeds my expectations (which aren't overly high) and if they meet my expecatations I just leave the service change in place to cover that. The only exception for me is for room service or for the specialty restaurants.

I don't understand why people feel the need to resort to derogatory and sarcastic responses. Stating your opinion as to why it is important to you to leave the service charge intact or tip x amount provides food for thought but what good does it do to insult others who have a different viewpoint? A civil conversation is far more enlightening.

I don't understand why people feel the need to resort to derogatory and sarcastic responses. Stating your opinion as to why it is important to you to leave the service charge intact or tip x amount provides food for thought but what good does it do to insult others who have a different viewpoint? A civil conversation is far more enlightening.

It's because there are so many people on this board who believe their way is the only way, whether it's tipping, dress code, smoking or what-have-you. I totally agree, you can state your viewpoint without being derogatory and insulting.

@ AKitchen nice of you to drop your 2 year old from the service charge. I hope you brought a empty suitcase for her dirty diapers. I wonder who has to pick those up. I guesss your two year old does not eat. sleep in your bed? I am sure your cabin will be spotless and crew will not have to pick up from your 2 year old.

I was just on a 35 day cruise where we never once stepped foot in the main dining room, yet I am forced to tip the staff there in order to give something extra to those who actually helped us. I dislike any policy that makes me tip for poor (or unused) services. Yes, I agree that it is good to tip those that you never see but I think that there could be a better solution. But to answer the original post...you can take it off at the front desk but you can't give a tip to any crew members.

35 days without food how, wow congrats I guess you don't leave tip or service charge when you go out

Why don't they just add it to the price of the cruise up front? It isn't that much per person and they could advertise it as inclusive. Most people will still tip, people who usually do, will still do it.

We have some friends that took their first HAL cruise this past summer and felt the same way when I told them to expect the Service charge at the end of the cruise.

They seem to think the charge should just be automatically added to the advertised fare.

Where would you put the diapers?

In one of those scented nappy disposal bags and I'd ask the steward where I could dispose of them. He may well say to use the bin in the room and he'd take care of it. If so, then he's not handling the nappies, is he? He'd be emptying the room bin daily anyway, so he's not having additional work.:cool:

Not sure it's necessarily fair for everyone to be jumping on the bandwagon to make the thread creator feel bad. I will be adjusting our 11.50/per person/per day charge for our Christmas cruise because they will also be charging us for our 2 year old daughter. She is not participating in any children's activities, etc. so we feel it is not necessary to pay the full $80 for her. I'm sure that statement will bring on a host of responses about how cheap we are but I do believe that there are times when it is warranted to reduce the tip. That being said, we are also the type of people who give separate tips to exceptional members of the staff. To each his own!

I'm not trying to criticize, but I'm a little curious as to why you are willing to pay the charge for yourselves but not your daughter? You say she won't be using the children's activities, but many passengers don't. She'll be eating on board, sleeping on board and doing what most other passengers do.

Why do you feel the need to direct your service charge? HAL is the employer and it's between them and their employees. If they are happy about if why would it bother you? If you wish to tip additionally I'm sure they will be quite happy. You certainely have the option of directing that to the people that you choose.

Would it surprise you if i told you that 21% of the service charge/tips goes directly to HAL and not to the staff. This is the reason cruise lines went to the pooling of tips so that they could get their portion of it by administering it. Guess it probably would not surprise anyone that the bar staff waiters on HAL are given a 1000 dollar per day sales quota and if they do not reach that then HAL removes the difference from their 15% of the tips to make up the difference. These are real numbers and confirmed from more than one of the staff members on many occasion. Sad that cruise lines can not keep their hands out of the crew staff kitty but its seems to be a corporate greed that leaves no hostages in todays world. I personally would gladly go back to the old ways where a TIP was what it was meant to be To Insure Prompt Service by the Staff and not a service charge that the cruise lines feels is theirs to pilfer from.:mad:

Yes it would. Give me a reason that I should believe you.

No reason because obviously you know differently. I know my information is valid so that is all that counts for me and you can believe what you wish to which is obviously not my information. :D

No reason because obviously you know differently.
I have no information to the contrary, but since you are unwilling to cite any bona fides I'm going to treat it like anything else I read on the internet for the first time: VERY skeptically.

Would it surprise you if i told you that 21% of the service charge/tips goes directly to HAL and not to the staff. This is the reason cruise lines went to the pooling of tips so that they could get their portion of it by administering it. Guess it probably would not surprise anyone that the bar staff waiters on HAL are given a 1000 dollar per day sales quota and if they do not reach that then HAL removes the difference from their 15% of the tips to make up the difference. These are real numbers and confirmed from more than one of the staff members on many occasion. Sad that cruise lines can not keep their hands out of the crew staff kitty but its seems to be a corporate greed that leaves no hostages in todays world. I personally would gladly go back to the old ways where a TIP was what it was meant to be To Insure Prompt Service by the Staff and not a service charge that the cruise lines feels is theirs to pilfer from.:mad:

First time I have heard of this after being on these boards for a few years.

Yeah, I'm convinced.....not!

Quite frankly, I don't know and what's more, I really don't care.

The crew and HAL work this out along with their Union and it's not really any of my business or concern.

We leave the hotel service charge in place and tip 'over and above' to whom we wish.

For me, the most valid post here was the one about AIDA Cruise Line indicating the poor service which resulted when the service charge was built in as part of the cruise price.

I think it fair to say that human nature makes one work a little harder if one can earn something extra by doing so.

If the cruise line builds the service charge into the price of the cruise and it is not treated as something extra for the staff, then they no longer have any incentive to provide exceptional service.

There was endless discussion about this when the change was made a few years ago. I remember may posters insisting that it was NOT a service charge, but still a tip.

It was, and still is, a service charge and the control of it is still in the hands of the passengers...and not built into the cost of the cruise. I hope it stays that way.

I believe if it is ever built into the price of the cruise, the exceptional service provided by the HAL staff will start to disappear.

IMO

Archived