Pack your suit for Voyager out of NOLA formal nights

Just off the Voyager today and the formal nights were some of the dressiest we have seen in a long time. Lots of tux's, suits and gowns. Even on non-formal nights some guys wore sport coats and women were a little dressier than even the Liberty Thanksgiving cruise. Little ones had on their Christmas outfits and were so adorable! We didn't see the proliferation of ball caps and shorts in the MDR that we've seen on other ships recently. I was so happy I took my black suit this cruise!

Just off the Voyager today and the formal nights were some of the dressiest we have seen in a long time. Lots of tux's, suits and gowns. Even on non-formal nights some guys wore sport coats and women were a little dressier than even the Liberty Thanksgiving cruise. Little ones had on their Christmas outfits and were so adorable! We didn't see the proliferation of ball caps and shorts in the MDR that we've seen on other ships recently. I was so happy I took my black suit this cruise!

How was the overall cruise experience? Traffic on day of boarding, shape of ship, ports, food, etc. Our first time on a voyager class and getting excited!!

Thanks!

Glad to hear this. Always have a large group when we cruise and the men and women alike enjoy dressing up for dinner....K.O. near Philly...:) When we see anyone in shorts and t - shirt in the MDR all you can do is shake your head and wonder;)

When we were on the Voyager out of Venice two months ago, that was also the case. It was wonderful looking at all the sparkle and glamour! Several ladies had gowns on both formal nights and tuxes and suits for the men. Even a kilt or two. ;) It was a really nice experience.

Glad to hear this. Always have a large group when we cruise and the men and women alike enjoy dressing up for dinner....K.O. near Philly...:) When we see anyone in shorts and t - shirt in the MDR all you can do is shake your head and wonder;)

Shake your head and wonder what? Why are they enjoying their vacation the way that they want to? Not everyone enjoys dressing up. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, then don't. Pretty simple. Now, I don't wear shorts or t-shirts or ballcaps to the dining room, but I certainly don't care what someone else is wearing. It doesn't spoil my dinner experience......

Shake your head and wonder what? Why are they enjoying their vacation the way that they want to? Not everyone enjoys dressing up. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, then don't. Pretty simple. Now, I don't wear shorts or t-shirts or ballcaps to the dining room, but I certainly don't care what someone else is wearing. It doesn't spoil my dinner experience......

Good for you! But maybe it does bother others so that is their business! The problem is if you keep saying you don't care and maybe jeans and sweat shirts are okay that is exactly how you get to lots and lots of shorts, ball caps and t-shirts in the MDR. On some ships it looks more like a McDonalds on any Saturday anywhere than an upscale dining experience on a cruise ship. There are casual dining venues available onboard for the flip-flop, shorts, ball-cap and t-shirt loving crowd. Please don't encourage them to join you in MDR by saying it doens't spoil your dinner experience out loud!

How was the overall cruise experience? Traffic on day of boarding, shape of ship, ports, food, etc. Our first time on a voyager class and getting excited!!

Thanks!

Hi,

Our overall cruise experience was one of our best on RCL. We were boarding the ship 55 minutes after driving into the terminal via taxi. All staff were friendly and helpful. They were doing everything humanly possible to move things along fast. Debarkation was just as simple. An hour after entering the Diamond waiting area we pulled into the parking lot at the Doubletree Hotel in Kenner to get a shuttle to the airport. (9am) That is hard to beat at any port! So, IMHO, there is nothing wrong with the cruise terminal at NOLA.

We had probably the best waiter and asst. waiter we've ever had. Cristian and Roxanne were very professional, friendly and helpful. The food was always hot and tasty, except for our one visit to Portifino when our food was just luke warm, served very late after our salads and without the same freindliness as the MDR. (After our Head Waiter asked about our Portifino experience and we explained, each cabn received a personal call from Portifino's manager and a bottle wine and a fruit basket.) We've never had a head waiter take charge and resolve a problem for us like this before! The windjammer food was always hot and mostly tasty. We had a couple days we didn't find much that we cared for so one day we went to Johnny Rockets and the other day we did big salads. This could simply be a case of personal preferences and others could have loved the food choices on those days so please don't take this as a complaint.

The ports are all enjoyable. We did the Dreamer Catamaran snorkeling sailing in Jamaica which we all loved. We were on this cruise with my wife's sister and husband but had also taken this excursion during our Thanksgiving cruise on the Liberty with our daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandsons. We loved it so much we went back again! Even if you don't snorkel, the ride, open bar, snacks and friendly staff make for a great day. In Cozumel we just walked around - we've been there many times before. And in Grand Cayman we didn't even get off the ship. (We enjoy playing king of the mountain when everyone is off the ship and we have it all to ourselves.) It was a tender day and, again, the 4 of us had been there several times before. If you haven't been, take the bus ride to Hell and back, visit one of the local beaches or just walk the downtown area.

The ship is in excellent condition and we remarked several times how much we enjoy that size ship. It's large enough that there is lots to do but not so large that it's an effort to get from one end to the other.

Entertainment was super!

If you have any more questions just ask... I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

Merle

Here we go again.:eek:

Thank you Merle for the advice about taking formal wear - which we love as it is different to everyday life!! We cruised on Celebrity and Cunard and when we booked on the Diamond Princess I read reports that not many went 'formal' - so didn't bother with long dresses though hubby did take his tux. Wow there were some beautiful dresses on there - people seemed to really enjoy the formal evenings - it was like being on a Cunard ship.

This is our first cruise with Royal Caribbean and so really beginning to wonder what would be suitable evening wear - so you've settled it for me. Long dresses for formal and short evening dresses for other nights. We are booked 2nd sitting in the MD.

Thank you for the information re Voyager - again we were beginning to wonder if we had booked the wrong cruise because of all the problems she has been having in New Orleans. The reason we booked this cruise was because it was leaving from N.O. - we have never been there - and also two of the Caribbean islands we have not seen. We go on 21st Jan - will think about it after Christmas.

Thanks again.

Me again! :D I have read on the forum that you need to get tickets to see the ice show. Never had to get tickets before for any cruises so a bit apprehensive about spending holiday time queueing for tickets. Everyone says it is a really good show - not to be missed - BUT is there any hassle getting the tickets?

Also sunbeds - we have had problems getting these before!! - any quiet areas where we would be able to get them?

on this thread..

OP did not say you had to, or that those that did not, or anything to that extent.

OP said it looked great...If ya wanna wear your barn clothes on Formal night, be my guest, but because someone posts a thread about how great those evening were, it is not an open invitation to start the "it's my cruise and I will wear what I want" rant all over again.

That is awesome, I enjoy the dressing up, I gring my Air Force Mess Dress and a suite or two. I also bring my formal kilt with me and love rocking that.

Hmmm, may have to convince the better half to bring his kilt for formal night! :D

Me again! :D I have read on the forum that you need to get tickets to see the ice show.Also sunbeds - we have had problems getting these before!! - any quiet areas where we would be able to get them?

There is a time set aside on day 2 for picking up ice show tickets. You have a variety of time choices. If you don't pick them up you can also just show up for any ice show and go in after those with tickets are seated.

Do you know if Lugguge Valet is available from the Voyager?

Yes it was available.

fredmdcruisers - can you tell us who was in the Schooner Bar, who was in the Pub, who the bands were, etc.

I'm sorry that I don't remember names and didn't save our compasses. Matt something (I think!) was in the Schooner Bar each night. I think he was billed as adult musical comedian? We never caught his show but walked by many times and it was always packed. I never made it to the Pub... sorry!

We were on the Voyager over Thanksgiving. Matt Yee is the singer/comedian in the Schooner bar in the evenings. He had two different basic shows that alternated nights,. Both were adults-only and very interactive. Don't go unless you don't mind getting involved, at a minimum you'll be asked to do the drinking cheer...

I saved all the compasses so if you have any other programming questions, just ask.

Yes it was available.

Great! Love luggage valet. It was not listed on the RC website but I was hoping because it is a new port-they just didn't update the website. which would not be strange!!!:)

Thanks for all the updates. Not bringing formal clothes but plan on the WJ for those nights so its all good!!!

TEXASMUNK-I've read alot about Derek Lewis. Sounds like a not to miss. Is he there everynight? Does he perform at certain times or is it something to be found by checking the compass???

Archived