tipping for n/c beverages

sitraveler

I'm confused. Where are people getting the information that the crew is underpaid even when the shared gratuity is included? Isn't the point of a fixed gratuity to make sure everyone gets their fair share of the tips?

Is it true that the person who brings the room service breakfast does not share in the tip pool but the waiter who serves me breakfast in the dining room does share the tip pool?

If both share the tip pool, then should I be tipping the dining room waiter extra too?

I

Is it true that the person who brings the room service breakfast does not share in the tip pool but the waiter who serves me breakfast in the dining room does share the tip pool?

If both share the tip pool, then should I be tipping the dining room waiter extra too?

We had the waitstaff also bring our room service order.

I think some people just like to tip for what ever reason

JMO

While I agree that it is difficult to tip a bartender for a free drink since we rarely have cash with us, I would offer that I would try to find a way to leave a tip. The bartenders are paid by the gratuities, and I have taken up just as much time as someone getting a non-free drink. I suppose O might have taken that into account when they (hopefully) reset the wages for the bartenders since there are now free soft drinks, but I still received service for which it appears there is no tipping mechanism. How to tip is a real question, particularly if you suddenly pop into a bar and ask for a soft drink. On the other hand, if you have been going into a bar a lot, and have had a lot of free drinks, then you could stop back and give them something.

I don't think that this is the beginning of tipping everyone every minute, nor do I think that it is overtipping. The bartenders are almost unique in that they are given tips based on the prices of the drinks they serve. Nor do I think that you are going crazy by giving the room service delivery person a couple of bucks. I don't think either situation is in any way comparable to giving money "to everyone who smiles at you." I know Americans tend to tip more than many people from other parts of the globe, but I don't think tipping in both of these situations is in any way extraordinary.

I want to start by saying that even though O adds gratuities to my onboard account I always tip extra to the butler and room attendants as well as to certain other staff members if I feel they have performed some special service. Having said that I must also say that with a cruise line of Oceania's caliber it feels like a mass market procedure to have to do so. And unfortunately, many Americans cannot sleep at night if they do not overtip. This is why the all inclusive lines are so attractive. It removes the worry and the stress of wondering if you are doing the right thing. The most one should do on those lines is donate to the crew welfare fund which benefits every crew member, not just the ones with whom you come in contact.

As an example I always stay in a PH suite. Oceania adds $10 a day to my account as a tip for the butler. On a three week cruise that's $210, not a bad tip imo. But people seem to think it's necessary to give another $50 or $100. I do that even when I get very little value out of the butler other than some extra restaurant reservations. On Seabourn or Silversea this is never an issue and I like the feeling of that. To say that if you can afford to sail on Oceania you should not worry about extra tips defies the logic of what tipping is all about. Personally, I would prefer it if Oceania paid its crew a decent salary and did not rely on us to supplement it. Again, that's why I like the all inclusive lines. I know I can have the gratuities removed from my account but then I would be punishing those crew members who work so hard and whom I do not see on a daily basis. Why should I give the butler an extra $100 when the person who washes my sheets and towels every day does more to make my cruise pleasurable? JMO

There is also an assistant butler who covers when your Butler is off duty. As in our case these past 2 weeks our Butler worked :6:30 to 10:30, then off until the evening when he starts to deliver canapes. His assistant was available for anything you wanted during the early afternoon. So that $10 per diem is probably split perhaps:confused:

There is also an assistant butler who covers when your Butler is off duty. As in our case these past 2 weeks our Butler worked :6:30 to 10:30, then off until the evening when he starts to deliver canapes. His assistant was available for anything you wanted during the early afternoon. So that $10 per diem is probably split perhaps:confused:

And a third guy covers overnights. :D That ten dollars is stretched until it is screaming.

Archived