Another Way for HAL to Cut Costs......

sail7seas

we've noticed so many places HAL has trimmed the budget that it got me wondering if the bean counters have started to dream up a scheme where they'll start charging us for luggage handling, like the airlines. :eek:

I know..... I probably shouldn't be giving them ideas but I'd be shocked if they aren't already trying to find a way to get away with it.

I predict at some point in the (near ?) future, HAL will eliminate formal nights and at about the same time, they will announce that anyone who requires their luggage to be brought aboard for them, will be charged a fee. Anyone who can travel with 'carryon' that fits through the scanner, will not be charged.

Am I really 'over the top' now? :confused: :rolleyes:

Use of fitnees facilities, preferred seating on deck chairs, ALL beverages including tea/coffee/milk.

Another untapped area would be in the area of onboard entertainment including access to more TV channels and a fee for the daily news memo that is presently available in various languages, depending upon the demographics of the passengers.

The expedited disembarkation is cost-effective for HAL as it does reduce some labor requirements...but I am convinced some folks would be willing to pay a fee in order to be the first ones off, albeit with your own luggage in tow.

we've noticed so many places HAL has trimmed the budget that it got me wondering if the bean counters have started to dream up a scheme where they'll start charging us for luggage handling, like the airlines. :eek:

I predict at some point in the (near ?) future, HAL will eliminate formal nights and at about the same time, they will announce that anyone who requires their luggage to be brought aboard for them, will be charged a fee. Anyone who can travel with 'carryon' that fits through the scanner, will not be charged.

At the recent Maasdam Q&A with HM, CD and shorex manager, the issue of non-compliant formal dress came up. The HM had just returned from the senior management meeting in Atlanta (actually was not on board the first part of the trip) and said that one of the decisions to be made next year was what to do about formal nights.......HMMMM.

I know..... I probably shouldn't be giving them ideas but I'd be shocked if they aren't already trying to find a way to get away with it.

Not over the top at all. While we are at it lets add on that soon there may be only one dining option with no surcharge and that is the lido buffet. :(

I think your mixing two issues. Paying for luggage handling isn't that over the top considering that most cruise lines already charge for special debarkation luggage handling to the airlines. I don't think we'll see it for normal luggage handling. The elimination of formal nights is a separate issue and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it changed in some fashion while retaining a way for those who enjoy the formal nights to continue doing so.

IMO,

Color it gone!!!

No more formal in the very near future.

The expedited disembarkation is cost-effective for HAL as it does reduce some labor requirements...but I am convinced some folks would be willing to pay a fee in order to be the first ones off, albeit with your own luggage in tow.

Included in the considerably higher price Suites pay, is priority disembarkation so some of us are already paying for priority embark and debark. Of course, now included in benefit for being Four Star Mariner is priority embarkation, which has dluted the benefit to the suite guest who also happens to be Four Star.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would SO prefer a small price increase to the nickel and diming that happened to the airlines. I can't imagine $20 to $30 per person would send people scurrying off to other lines. But, I could be wrong.

I agree, Donna, but think all the cruise lines have shown making their bottom line price 'look' to be as low as possible is the goal. Anything that makes the fare look higher is usually not considered.

I think your mixing two issues. Paying for luggage handling isn't that over the top considering that most cruise lines already charge for special debarkation luggage handling to the airlines. I don't think we'll see it for normal luggage handling. The elimination of formal nights is a separate issue and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it changed in some fashion while retaining a way for those who enjoy the formal nights to continue doing so.

I combine the formal dress issue with luggage handling as the first thing people will scream is we can't lug along formal wear if we have to manage our own luggage or be charged for HAL to handle it.

Eliminating formal night will be the first way to introduce the pay for luggage concept IMO - no tuxedos, suits, cocktail dresses etc to pack.

I would SO prefer a small price increase to the nickel and diming that happened to the airlines. I can't imagine $20 to $30 per person would send people scurrying off to other lines. But, I could be wrong.

I agree, charge me an extra $50/pp and keep the things that make HAL special in place.

At the recent Maasdam Q&A with HM, CD and shorex manager, the issue of non-compliant formal dress came up. The HM had just returned from the senior management meeting in Atlanta (actually was not on board the first part of the trip) and said that one of the decisions to be made next year was what to do about formal nights.......HMMMM.

Here is my idea on formal night, may not be logisitically possible but somehow split the dining venues where there is a "formal" venue and a non-formal venue. I am talking about the MDR, I know Lido is already non-formal. That way all who choose formal can be sitting together looking good ;).

Since HAL has to compete on price, they won't roll any fees into the cost of the cruise unless the other lines do. I'm convinced this is one of many reasons why they haven't reintroduced the fuel surcharge. As for charging for luggage, I don't foresee this anytime soon as it would make the embarkation process much more difficult as they'd have to arrange for someone to collect the fee UNLESS they charged for the luggage tags online as a prepaid thing.

As for charging for priority disembarkation, as others have said, this is cost neutral. The trend is actually to charge for "delayed disembarkation" where you are able to stay onboard until the ship sails to enjoy the facilities for those who have late flights.

formal nights going? IMHO, the "Seattle crowd" will 1st do a survey (much like smoking) with at least 4 questions to check off ..

/yes/

/no/

/maybe/

/would an on-board credit make you happy/ :)

with any luck, there will be a decision in 3 years!:D

charging for luggage .. why not? then again, here's the "angle" I'm willing to bet HAL will consider .. 4 Star Mariners get 2 free bags .. 3 Star Mariners can do 1 free .. Two Star Mariners get 50% off the charge .. and 1 Star Mariners get a 25% discount ..

and of course, this will all be "for the convenience of our passengers" :rolleyes:

but shock of shocks ... what about an admission fee for Half Moon Cay that includes lunch!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

yeah .. I for one can hardly wait to see what the future holds

formal nights going? IMHO, the "Seattle crowd" will 1st do a survey (much like smoking) with at least 4 questions to check off ..

/yes/

/no/

/maybe/

/would an on-board credit make you happy/ :)

with any luck, there will be a decision in 3 years!:D

charging for luggage .. why not? then again, here's the "angle" I'm willing to bet HAL will consider .. 4 Star Mariners get 2 free bags .. 3 Star Mariners can do 1 free .. Two Star Mariners get 50% off the charge .. and 1 Star Mariners get a 25% discount ..

and of course, this will all be "for the convenience of our passengers" :rolleyes:

but shock of shocks ... what about an admission fee for Half Moon Cay that includes lunch!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

yeah .. I for one can hardly wait to see what the future holds

ROFL .....

Yup, Sounds just about right ! ;) :D

Interesting observations. I agree that formal nights are on the way out, and have been for several years.

Regarding the luggage charges, HAL strikes me as not being an especially innovative cruise line, except for their truly exceptional long itineraries. I don't think HAL would be the first cruise line to do..well...anything. However, if one line does it (and gets away with it), the rest will follow sooner or later. Cruiselines are already getting stricter in the kinds of stuff passengers are allowed to bring on cruises.

We saw the cost cutting when HAL didn't put any forms in our shipped luggage packages - had to phone and get them to email us a blank form and then copy off the 16 pages using our paper and ink.

Re: the priority embarkation for 4 stars - our experience has been that we do miss half of the line-up to get to the clerks but then were sent to the waiting area that held everyone and certainly didn't get on any faster than the 1 star or non-stars. The suite passengers did board right away each time.

We had assumed that priority embarkation meant just that but at the Vancouver pier it didn't. Still missing half of a long line-up was great

My guess is...long before they start charging for luggage. They will come to the conclusion ,that they are in business to make money.

This means selling wine,water and soda to it's passengers. I can't believe in these difficult times they permit people to tote on cases of beverages,and lose all that revenue.

Try bringing your own beverages to Yankee Stadium,not going to happen. You will pay the $10 for a Heineken (they're actually lined up to buy them)

Why do they charge $10 for a Heineken? Because they're in the business of making money.

The problems with cruise baggage fees:

The port workers will lose tips when more people carry on their bags.

Getting on to the ship will be m-u-c-h s-l-o-w-e-r because more people are carrying on their bags. Think about how long it takes some people just to put small stuff on the x-ray machine belt.

Getting off the ship will be horrendous. There is already enough shoving and pushing but now you'll have people carrying multiple bags too.

More man power will be needed to assess the fee. (Especially if Mariner's get free bags.)

My vote for formal night is Fixed dining - formal 2 nights per 7 days, Open Seating - always Smart Casual.

Yes! :) Judy, you have a most active mind & vivid imagination dreaming up these interesting & thought-provoking threads! ;)

Well, that's a no brainer! :rolleyes: Make them optional! ;)

My guess is...long before they start charging for luggage. They will come to the conclusion ,that they are in business to make money.

This means selling wine,water and soda to it's passengers. I can't believe in these difficult times they permit people to tote on cases of beverages,and lose all that revenue.

Try bringing your own beverages to Yankee Stadium,not going to happen. You will pay the $10 for a Heineken (they're actually lined up to buy them)

Why do they charge $10 for a Heineken? Because they're in the business of making money.

I think that is a great point especially combined with the others about HAL being a follower.

IMO,

Color it gone!!!

No more formal in the very near future.

:):):)

Included in the considerably higher price Suites pay, is priority disembarkation so some of us are already paying for priority embark and debark. Of course, now included in benefit for being Four Star Mariner is priority embarkation, which has dluted the benefit to the suite guest who also happens to be Four Star.

I agree, Donna, but think all the cruise lines have shown making their bottom line price 'look' to be as low as possible is the goal. Anything that makes the fare look higher is usually not considered.

I think that is a great point especially combined with the others about HAL being a follower.

It is a good point. I think Sail made this observation in another thread (and was unfairly criticised for it), but one could argue that bars are losing business because folks are holed up in their cabins drinking booze they brought onboard.

A quick check of other CC boards shows that cruiselines are cracking down on this sort of thing. NCL has its (in)famous "Naughty Room" where unallowed items-mostly booze- are held, and Carnival has instituted measures to specifically disallow things like blenders (!) using the reasoning that extra electrical/electronic devices could result in a safety issue.

My observation: People are going to try to cheap-out so long as they continue to travel in herds. Couples and solos rarely indulge in this sort of nonsense.

Archived