Question about transfer - airport to pier

squidward

Question about using the cruise line transfer from FLL to Port Everglades:

When you get to the pier, do you have to claim your bags from the bus and bring them to a porter? Or do you just hop off the bus and they take care of the bags while you head directly for the boarding area?

If the latter (they take the bags) are you expected to tip the porters, or is that considered included in the transfer charge?

:confused:

Thanks!:)

You should always at least look at your bags as they come off the coach to make sure they are offloaded at the right spot ship and the tags haven't come loose and so forth. I would tip the porters regardless of who gives them the luggage, you or the bus driver. I would not head to the boarding area until you make sure that a Celebrity porter has taken charge of your suitcases.

Absolutely no need to tip them and there are signs up at the port saying you do not have to tip them. The people serving as porters at U.S. cruise ports are union longshoremen and they earn a lot of money. Your port fees cover their service. They actually do not do much with your luggage; they put it on a cart (that is next to them), push the cart a few yards and then others take it from there. People you never see do 99% of the work, so it is completely unnecessary to tip the well paid longshoremen for doing a couple seconds of work (for which they are already being generously compensated).

Hello,

I havn't seen the signs but I got the information from Carnival that 1 $ tip per piece of luggage is expected by the porters. So is this wrong?

I totally agree, they only take the luggage and throw it on a baggage trolley next to them.

Several years ago there was a thread here in CC about porters at the Miami port who asked for more dollars as a tip by telling the passengers that otherwise they will not take care for the luggage. But I think this problem has been solved.

Hello,

I havn't seen the signs but I got the information from Carnival that 1 $ tip per piece of luggage is expected by the porters. So is this wrong?

I totally agree, they only take the luggage and throw it on a baggage trolley next to them.

Several years ago there was a thread here in CC about porters at the Miami port who asked for more dollars as a tip by telling the passengers that otherwise they will not take care for the luggage. But I think this problem has been solved.

Yes, Carnival is wrong. There sister company HAL even has on the website that they are salaried and that one does not nee to tip them. Look around next time you are at the port and you will see the signs.

I rarely disagree with Gonzo but have to in this case. It is customary to tip about $1.00 per bag at the pier to insure that your bag gets where it's supposed to be going. I wouldn't even dream of not tipping for fear that my bag will wind up in the water...

Going back to the OP, I'm surprised nobody suggested to him to take a cab in FLL instead of the cruise line transfers. It is the easiest port to take a cab and it is quicker, cheaper and you go when you want to.

While not giving that dollar per bag in US ports isn't required, it might be a good idea nonetheless. Just like it isn't required to leave any extra gratuity for our steward, most of us do so anyway. It isn't a requirement to tip the room service delivery person, but most of us do so. This is how I view the porter's tip. And maybe it is just a little bit of "insurance" that our bags will make it to the room safely -- good karma, so to speak.

I rarely disagree with Gonzo but have to in this case. It is customary to tip about $1.00 per bag at the pier to insure that your bag gets where it's supposed to be going. I wouldn't even dream of not tipping for fear that my bag will wind up in the water...

Going back to the OP, I'm surprised nobody suggested to him to take a cab in FLL instead of the cruise line transfers. It is the easiest port to take a cab and it is quicker, cheaper and you go when you want to.

Normally I do take a cab, but this time we're traveling with a toddler and so I want to have one less thing to worry about.

Given that I normally tip $2 a bag and check in a lot of bags, the cost of the transfer ends up about the same as a cab. Cab fare is about $15, while the transfer is $30 for the three of us. Since I would have tipped the porters $15, I break even.

In the end, it's not about the money, it's about the convenience of not having to hassle with the bags after we pick them up from baggage claim. Juggling 8 bags in and out of a cab while wrangling a testy toddler is not the best way to start a vacation!:)

Then you are not giving them a tip, but paying a bribe. The longshoremen earn upper middle class salaries. IMHO it is silly to tip them for carrying out their most basic job duty. Furthermore they only do 1% of the work in getting you your luggage; it is the behind the scenes people that do 99% of the work and most of these people are earning a fraction of the money and not receiving a dime in tips. All they do is push your luggage a few yards on a cart before others take over. There is a reason all U.S. ports have signage that they do not need to be tipped (and in a couple of ports they are not supposed to accept tips).

...the [FLL to Port Everglades] transfer is $30 for the three of us.

I'd like to know where you booked that deal -- ours is $29 and change, each, for the exact same itinerary.

Nice to know that the cab service in Ft Lauderdale is so convenient & inexpensive (Houston airport to Galveston cruise port, not so much!! :D), but this trip we're a family of four -- three adults and a teen, all lugging lots of luggage -- so a cab probably wouldn't cut it.

I'd like to know where you booked that deal -- ours is $29 and change, each, for the exact same itinerary.

Nice to know that the cab service in Ft Lauderdale is so convenient & inexpensive (Houston airport to Galveston cruise port, not so much!! :D), but this trip we're a family of four -- three adults and a teen, all lugging lots of luggage -- so a cab probably wouldn't cut it.

A cab is still an option. They have mini van taxis that should do the trick; at worst using two taxis would still be a lot cheaper than the transfers.

Question about using the cruise line transfer from FLL to Port Everglades:

When you get to the pier, do you have to claim your bags from the bus and bring them to a porter? Or do you just hop off the bus and they take care of the bags while you head directly for the boarding area?

If the latter (they take the bags) are you expected to tip the porters, or is that considered included in the transfer charge?

:confused:

Thanks!:)

Here's a copy/paste from the FLL website. I assume the Pier is called Port Everglades?

To Port Everglades

Broward County > Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport > Transportation > To Port Everglades

There are three transportation options: shared ride, luxury sedan, and taxi cab.

1. Shared Ride - Shared "van" rides offered through GO Airport Shuttle cost $11 per person to Port Everglades. A van will hold a maximum of ten passengers.

2. Luxury Sedan - GO Airport Shuttle also offer exclusive car rides to Port Everglades for $40 (for up to four people).

Contact - For more information, visit GO Airport Shuttle or call 800-244-8252/ 954-561-8888.

3. Taxi Cab - Taxi cabs are also available at $12 (estimated) based on the meter reading. Cabs accept up to five people for the fare stated on the taxi’s meter.

Some taxi cabs accept credit cards. If you prefer to pay with a credit card for a taxi cab, make sure you tell this to the dispatcher at the transportation podium. They will request a cab that is equipped with a credit card acceptance machine.

Hope this helps!

--Greg

Then you are not giving them a tip, but paying a bribe. The longshoremen earn upper middle class salaries. IMHO it is silly to tip them for carrying out their most basic job duty. Furthermore they only do 1% of the work in getting you your luggage; it is the behind the scenes people that do 99% of the work and most of these people are earning a fraction of the money and not receiving a dime in tips. All they do is push your luggage a few yards on a cart before others take over. There is a reason all U.S. ports have signage that they do not need to be tipped (and in a couple of ports they are not supposed to accept tips).

Perhaps we have a regional difference here, I began cruising out of NYC and have taken numerous cruises out of there. There are no signs as of last year advising you that you don't have to tip and if you are aware of circumstances in the NY, NJ area I would always tip. Whether its a bribe or not, up North it is just known that you had better tip. Not doubting what you say about the signs at FLL but never seen them in NYC. I'm going on a cruise to enjoy myself, a few dollars out of my pocket to prove a point is not going to take away from that. Sometime reality just pops its head up even though it might be against your instincts.

Archived