What to do in Hualtulco?

madera1

Is that what's shown in this Google Map?

What you see is the small town of Hualtuco with the ship docking pier and the small shops in the middle of the picture. You catch the tour busses to the left of the marina. It's a little hike from the ship to the busses, but all flat. I should also add that this is also where you catch the taxi's to La Crucecita. It is La Crucecita that has the square and church with the quaint shops.

Is that what's shown in this Google Map?

Great map - this shows it all so clearly - yes that is one long pier. Plus you can see the road to La Crucecita, and the gouged out earth for the short-cut road to the town that seems to be in perennial construction. Even without the short-cut road, it still looks like a fairly easy walk to La Crucecita for those who can do the 2 mile distance.

Great map - this shows it all so clearly - yes that is one long pier. Plus you can see the road to La Crucecita, and the gouged out earth for the short-cut road to the town that seems to be in perennial construction. Even without the short-cut road, it still looks like a fairly easy walk to La Crucecita for those who can do the 2 mile distance.

Until these posts, I had never heard of La Crucecita. I enjoy visiting churches and so this sounds like something that would be easy to do. I am sure we could walk but there are relatives travelling with us who will need to take a taxi. Are the taxis located close to the pier and are they government controlled like in other cities in Mexico?

Until these posts, I had never heard of La Crucecita. I enjoy visiting churches and so this sounds like something that would be easy to do. I am sure we could walk but there are relatives travelling with us who will need to take a taxi. Are the taxis located close to the pier and are they government controlled like in other cities in Mexico?

The taxis are available in the same area as the tour busses. When you exit the pier, go straight until you reach the marina. The bus/taxi area is to the left of the marina. If you zoom in on the Google Map in a reply above, you will even see a blue tour bus and taxi's lined up to the left of the bus. As far as governmental controls of the taxis, I never used them to give you a qualified answer.

We were there on the Rotterdam a few days ago. We got off the ship early and found two lounger chairs and a beach umbrella for $10 for the day at the most distant restaurant on the beach. A margarita and 3 beers added $13. The water was warm and clean enough to swim in, and the restaurant rest rooms clean. The Queen Victoria arrived at 10 am and by afternoon there were many people from both crews relaxing/ swimming/ partying on the beach.

We were there on the Rotterdam a few days ago. We got off the ship early and found two lounger chairs and a beach umbrella for $10 for the day at the most distant restaurant on the beach. A margarita and 3 beers added $13. The water was warm and clean enough to swim in, and the restaurant rest rooms clean. The Queen Victoria arrived at 10 am and by afternoon there were many people from both crews relaxing/ swimming/ partying on the beach.

This sounds like a great idea. Now with so much time we can walk or drive to the town for awhile and then plan to spend some time like you lounging in a beach chair under a big umbrella. The price for the drinks is very reasonable too.

We were just there with the Statendam. We got off the ship and walked down the pier, then together with another couple we took a little motor boat which took us to one of the beaches, he charged us $10 each. We ate at one of the cafes there, swam in the really warm sea, the other couple snorkelled, then the boat took us on a little tour of the other bays before bringing us back to the pier. We could then walk and look in the markets. We found Huatulco pretty, pleasant and totally unthreatening. It was a lovely day.

Archived