What to do in Hualtulco?

madera1

Now that the Statendam will not be stopping in Acapulco in March, HAL has lengthened our stay in Hualtulco until 11 pm. I have searched this website but not much has been written recently about this port. What will be there to do until so late at night? I thought it was primarily a beach location. I would appreciate to hear from anyone who has been there and get your ideas about what to plan for this port.

There isn't much to do in Huatulco, which is its charm - quiet and low-key. But that is a long stay so maybe there is nothing to do there for that long. I understand the trip to the nearby town is interesting and may be worthy of a dinner exploration there.

We did the bird-watching nature tour and at least that got us a good overview of the whole area as well as time on a very lovely golf course (empty) that also served as a bird watching wetland. It was fun to sit in the beach palapas eating nachos. But stretching this out to 11pm would be asking a lot.

Spa day? Either there or on the ship --- time for pedicure and massage? Maybe with a little internet search you can hook up to some local activities - you dock right there walkable to town and there are nice resorts for special evening meals in this area -- maybe that is what they are trying to encourage ship passengers to do. Stay and pay ......

It's been a couple of years since we were last there but I would agree there isn't much to do other than a local tour and a visit to the townsite which I think is called La Cruceita, you can also snorkel, fish, or take a boat ride. The area is really quite pretty, extremely clean and safe.

We have always had short stays there and walked to the beach near the dock which i think is delightful. Behind the beach was a small open air shopping area with nice crafts. The area is known for being eco-friendly as well as beautiful. There are several other beaches that are more picturesque than the one near the dock so if you have plenty of time you may want to arrange for a taxi to a nicer more private beach and not be too concerned about timing to get back. Maybe snorkle too. I haven't been into the town (which I thought was San Jose but could be wrong) and explore there. There are taxis to take you into town or it's a longish hot walk, about 2 miles I think.

As others have said, Walk along the Beach, yes there are some cute stores that look quite nice with lots of charm but personally I thought the prices were extremely high and unlike many places in Mexico were not willing to make a deal. Another words they were not cheaper than Wal- Mart ;) But the one thing we did really enjoy was a nice Lobster lunch I had a Margarita and Tom had a cerveza. We actually enjoyed the port and would not mind going back.

On your same Statendam cruise, we also highly recommend the Argovia Coffee Plantation and Flower tour with lunch in Puerto Chiapas - a beautiful drive and gorgeous plush resort setting with an interesting tour of the coffee bean process. We still order our coffee beans now from the plantation and even with shipping we get a good price - absolutely the best coffee we have ever tasted. Once you see how organically and sustainable they farm their shade grown mountain coffee here, you will see why.

We were there last March on the Statendam. We just spent a pleasant time sitting by the beach at one of the restaurants and wandering around. If I was going to be there for an extended day, I'd book a HAL tour and get out in the countryside for a look around. Then I'd spend time by the beach and wandering around that area. If you have walking issues, be aware that the pier is a long walk in the sun. So have a hat and take your time.

I personaly have seen and heard too much. Unless your are a Zeta or Cartel member, I would strongly consider keeping safe and on the ship.

Personaly, I wont get off at any Mexican port considering the widespread murders and kidnapping.

Ship lines are dropping Mexican ports right and left..... wonder why?

I dont wonder at all.:o!

I personaly have seen and heard too much. Unless your are a Zeta or Cartel member, I would strongly consider keeping safe and on the ship.

Personaly, I wont get off at any Mexican port considering the widespread murders and kidnapping.

Widespread? Please define, compare and contrast. This of course includes never embarking in FLL, NYC or even San Diego.

Huatulco is as sweet and sanitized a "Mexican" experience as you will find anywhere. Other Caribbean ports I agree - very dicey on your own. And DH had to fend off a very organized pick-pocket crowd recently when boarding the public bus in Palermo.

He felt smug he had "pickpocket" proof pants because the flaps had two buttons and then a zipper. They had already unbuttoned the flap and were starting on the zipper by the time he was able to shew them away. In a "organized" bumping and bustling crowd scene getting on a bus, lots of distractions can affect what one feels as a normal jostle compared to an intentional reaching and grabbing.

We beat them at their own game (this time), but does this mean also never visiting Palermo, also on the high crime hit list?

Hey HawaiiDan, chill.....btw thanks for your service (just noticed the 780 day 'cruise' you had). I spent my Vietnam war years on Oahu, as a matter of fact :o

In truth, we have visited most all the popular Mexican 'resort' areas. Never, EVER , felt in any way threatened. People of Mexico have hearts of gold.

And just to keep the record straight, the cruise lines' dropping of ports have much less to do with safety than $$$.....you can belee dat!

Have you actually been there before? One of my mom and dads friends had a daughter living in Hawaii whose husband was murdered while they were living in Hawaii. You might not want to live in Hawaii either. I've never been shot at, kidnapped or murdered in Mexico. Imagine that:rolleyes:.

We stopped there September of last year when the Zuiderdam was repositioning from Alaska to the Caribbean. It is a lovely, sleepy port with the previously mentioned beach just off the dock. We took the HAL tour of the town and church then of the countryside with a lunch of tacos and beans before returning to the ship. Highlight was stopping on the hill above the harbor and getting our picture taken with the Zuiderdam in the background. Used it for our Christmas photo last year. Enjoy this low key port because there are so few of them. :D

we have same stop 1/15 Ihave been trying to find the distance to La Crucecita so we can first take a tour then then visit La crucecita to shop.. we have looked at the float trip with WWW.aventuramundo.net or Mario cobos I found both off cruise critic boards

if anyone knows distance or taxi cost please let me know

happy holidays

we have same stop 1/15 Ihave been trying to find the distance to La Crucecita so we can first take a tour then then visit La crucecita to shop.. we have looked at the float trip with WWW.aventuramundo.net or Mario cobos I found both off cruise critic boards

if anyone knows distance or taxi cost please let me know

happy holidays

I think La Crucecita is only a few miles away and vaguely remember even reading it was possible to walk there on a rugged road that seems perpetually under construction. But that would be only for the hardy. Basically, I don't think it is all that far away.

I appreciate all of the comments. I am not concerned about exploring this area even though it is Mexico. We still visit our timeshares for several weeks a year in Cabo San Lucas and have never had any problems. I look forward to just relaxing on land. I will look into some or the ideas and perhaps others will continue posting suggestions. It appears that after daylight we might end up just back onboard unless we find somthing to do in the nearby town.

I appreciate all of the comments. I am not concerned about exploring this area even though it is Mexico. We still visit our timeshares for several weeks a year in Cabo San Lucas and have never had any problems. I look forward to just relaxing on land. I will look into some or the ideas and perhaps others will continue posting suggestions. It appears that after daylight we might end up just back onboard unless we find somthing to do in the nearby town.

If I were going there again, I think I would try to walk to La Crucecita (found out it is only approx 2.2 miles away) and poke around there during the day and probably enjoy the beach and a palapa restaurant by the dock for the evening or see what might be happening at one of the high end hotels - music/entertainment.

When you look up Huatulco on Google Map, it's quite inland and Crucecita looks like the only port nearby…for those who have been there, where does the cruise ship doc? Thanks. (On the S'dam in April.)

When I did a map search i found this too -- but this is apparently the town of Huatulco and not the Bays of Huatulco where the ship docks. They recently put in a very long pier so you no longer have to tender, but you do have to walk a long way on the pier which puts you directly into the little town and beach area. And from there, it looks like a 2 mile distance to La Crucecita - either walk or cab.

When I did a map search i found this too -- but this is apparently the town of Huatulco and not the Bays of Huatulco where the ship docks. They recently put in a very long pier so you no longer have to tender, but you do have to walk a long way on the pier which puts you directly into the little town and beach area. And from there, it looks like a 2 mile distance to La Crucecita - either walk or cab.

SwissMyst is absolutely correct. Take a visit to the town and the lovely square with small shops all around it and a beautiful church. The painted ceiling in the church is spectacular. I am not Catholic but I enjoy the beauty of all churches. One of the few ports where you won't get hounded and can just explore the shops.

Archived