Fees, are they solid or do they change?

goingsailing

Has anyone else, just in the last few days, received an email from Carnival increasing your federal taxes/fees amount on a your balance of an upcoming cruise? Ours went up nearly a hundred bucks! I thought the only thing that Carnival (or any other cruise line) can hit you for after the fact of booking a cruise, was the fuel cost. Fees too?

Has anyone else, just in the last few days, received an email from Carnival increasing your federal taxes/fees amount on a your balance of an upcoming cruise? Ours went up nearly a hundred bucks! I thought the only thing that Carnival (or any other cruise line) can hit you for after the fact of booking a cruise, was the fuel cost. Fees too?

From ticket contract

(a) Carnival reserves the right to increase published fares and air fare supplements without prior notice. However, fully paid or deposited guests will be protected, except for fares listed, quoted, advertised or booked in error, fuel supplements, government taxes, other surcharges and changes to deposit, payment and cancellation terms/conditions, which are subject to change without notice. In the event that a cruise fare listed, quoted or advertised through any website, Carnival sales person, travel agent or any other source is booked but is incorrect due to an electronic error, typographical error, human error or any other error causing the fare to be listed, quoted or advertised for an amount not intended by Carnival, Carnival reserves the right to correct the erroneous fare by requesting the Guest to pay the correct fare intended, or by canceling the cruise in exchange for a full refund, but in no event shall Carnival be obligated to honor any such booking resulting from the error or otherwise be liable in such circumstances.

It has happened to us a few times, but not for nearly the same amount as yours. One time we switched cabin categories, and the new invoice reflected adjusted taxes. Another time, we actually got a refund on our S&S account. It was for like $5 and some change, but when we asked about it, they told us that it was for adjusted taxes.

The last time I submitted a price protection form for an early saver booking, I got the reduced fare, but taxes/fees were increased. Yesterday I called in and paid the full balance so taxes/fees can't be increased. If we see another fare reduction I was promised by the CCL rep. that increased taxes/fees won't affect our booking. I'll take the fare reduction in OBC and can apply the OBC to the gratuities at cruise end.

The last time I submitted a price protection form for an early saver booking, I got the reduced fare, but taxes/fees were increased. Yesterday I called in and paid the full balance so taxes/fees can't be increased. If we see another fare reduction I was promised by the CCL rep. that increased taxes/fees won't affect our booking. I'll take the fare reduction in OBC and can apply the OBC to the gratuities at cruise end.

I hope you got their name.

As quoted from the cruise ticket contract.

(a) Carnival reserves the right to increase published fares and air fare supplements without prior notice. However, fully paid or deposited guests will be protected, except for fares listed, quoted, advertised or booked in error, fuel supplements, government taxes, other surcharges and changes to deposit, payment and cancellation terms/conditions, which are subject to change without notice. In the event that a cruise fare listed, quoted or advertised through any website, Carnival sales person, travel agent or any other source is booked but is incorrect due to an electronic error, typographical error, human error or any other error causing the fare to be listed, quoted or advertised for an amount not intended by Carnival, Carnival reserves the right to correct the erroneous fare by requesting the Guest to pay the correct fare intended, or by canceling the cruise in exchange for a full refund, but in no event shall Carnival be obligated to honor any such booking resulting from the error or otherwise be liable in such circumstances.

Carnival has no control is government taxes/fees change. These are not part of the cruise fare.

They can still be increased from things I've been told. Get it in writing

Yesterday I called in and paid the full balance so taxes/fees can't be increased.

Carnival can, and will, adjust taxes/fees regardless of whether you have paid in full or not. If that was true, you wouldn't benefit from decreases either! And believe it or not, we've seen more decreases than increases.

The last time I submitted a price protection form for an early saver booking, I got the reduced fare, but taxes/fees were increased.

That is exactly what happened with our cruise fare!

Any way, thank you to all who posted a reply to my question!

Archived