Clarification of "Pre -Existing Conditions"

kruzerci

We usually buy trip insurance because both of my parents are in their late 70's and my dad has had a stroke, and my mom has high blood pressure.

I'm looking at an Access America plan, which does not cover pre-existing conditions, and says:

You, a traveling companion or family member are considered to have an existing medical condition if you, a traveling companion or family member were taking prescribed medication for the condition or the symptoms, unless the condition or symptoms are effectively controlled by the prescription, and the prescription hasn't changed.

Does that mean even if my parents, who are NOT traveling with us, have pre-existing conditions that may cause US to cancel our trip, we wouldn't be covered? Or does it only apply to those traveling :o?

I hope my question made sense! Thanks guys!

We usually buy trip insurance because both of my parents are in their late 70's and my dad has had a stroke, and my mom has high blood pressure.

I'm looking at an Access America plan, which does not cover pre-existing conditions, and says:

You, a traveling companion or family member are considered to have an existing medical condition if you, a traveling companion or family member were taking prescribed medication for the condition or the symptoms, unless the condition or symptoms are effectively controlled by the prescription, and the prescription hasn't changed.

Does that mean even if my parents, who are NOT traveling with us, have pre-existing conditions that may cause US to cancel our trip, we wouldn't be covered? Or does it only apply to those traveling :o?

I hope my question made sense! Thanks guys!

You need to find the plan's definition of "family member." Access America has several plans. The following is from their most popular plan -- the Classic Plan -- but if you're looking at one of their other plans it may be different so be sure to check. Here's their definition:

"Family member: Any of the following people, whether or not they're traveling with you :

• spouses and common-law, civil union and domestic partners

• parents and step-parents

• children and step-children (including adopted or soon to be adopted children) etc, etc . . . . "

So with this plan, the pre-existing medical condition exclusion definitely would apply if you have to cancel due to a medical situation with these parents.

Archived