Caution! New regulations dealing with cruising with a Green Card!

DarthGrady

People from all over the world fly to the U.S. to take a cruise. All visitors need to get into this country is a passport and, possibly, a visa. I still don't understand where this green card comes into play when getting onto a cruise ship if someone has a valid passport.

The trouble is, when you fly in to take a cruise or a vacation, your passport is stamped as a visitor, normally for 90 days if from a visa waiver country and for 180 days if you have a visa. When you leave the country to go on a cruise, there is a record of when you entered the country, when you left on your cruise and when you returned, normally, the initial entry date is used for your required exit date. When you live in the US on a green card, you most likely would have entered the country outside the normal admittance period, so therefore not be permitted to cruise and asked to leave the country. With a GC you can come and go just like a USC can

The trouble is, when you fly in to take a cruise or a vacation, your passport is stamped as a visitor, normally for 90 days if from a visa waiver country and for 180 days if you have a visa. When you leave the country to go on a cruise, there is a record of when you entered the country, when you left on your cruise and when you returned, normally, the initial entry date is used for your required exit date. When you live in the US on a green card, you most likely would have entered the country outside the normal admittance period, so therefore not be permitted to cruise and asked to leave the country. With a GC you can come and go just like a USC can

Thanks for the explanation. Now I get it.

If you are holding an old edition ARC WITHOUT an expiration date,

These went away in the mid-1990s and every holder was told to apply for the replacement.

BTW the "green card" is the proof that the holder is a "Permanent Resident Alien", entitled to live and work in the US indefinitely as long as card is renewed when required. Immigration officials typically stamp an "ARC" (Alien Registration Card) and the date in your passport upon (re)entry to the US. It is not tied to any employer and you can act the same as a citizen except for those occasions when citizenship is essential - example, voting. Typically the next step is Naturalisation - becoming a US citizen :)

Just found this from the customs and border patrol website, updated today:

What documents, identification, and paperwork does a legal permanent resident (LPR) or Green Card holder need to travel internationally?

Lawful Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) do not need a passport to enter the United States as per (8 C.F.R. 311.1(a)), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements. Note: Canada does not require a passport from U.S. LPR's.

Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card", INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States.

So it would seem that permanent don't even need a passport to get back into the US, although them may need them to enter their country of travel. All they should have to present is their valid green card.

Yes I can confirm this...I'm a UK citizen, and GC holder. Although I always have my passport with me, all I ever need to show to get back into the US is my GC (the newer kind)

Also, to board a cruise ship, my GC is all I needed.

So mamasue, My husband is also a UK citizen (UK passport) and a green card holder. When I checked us in for our cruise next month, I entered his passport number and not his green card number into the system. He will be taking both the passport and GC with him on the cruise as he never travels outside the US without them both. Are you saying he only needs the GC?

I'm a Canadian with a green card, but a newer one.

I've never heard of these "certifications" that people are mentioning. What is this and where do I find more information?

I travel out of the country several times a year (Canada & Europe, as well as cruises) and have never had a problem coming back into the US (or leaving). I've never been told I need a 'certification' either.

I wish I had more information, but the Customs Officer that denied our friend didn't even have a copy of it. He said that the policy had been changed within the last few days.

I can certainly understand your frustration for your friend, but this situation doesn't seem right - didn't they need passports to be able to fly from Italy in the first place?

I really don't know anything else about that couple's situation. I just know that they were being denied for the same issues with the green cards.

My DH travels with a green card as well so this topic is of specific interest to me as well. I just did a bit of research and can't find anything regarding this "certification". All I've found is the same info we've always had. He must present his passport and green card.

Any more info on this would be appreciated.

I think it also depends on what type of card it is. Apparently some of them have expiration dates and others don't. Its seems that the non-expiring type are the ones that this policy effects.

Its seems that the non-expiring type are the ones that this policy effects.

Yes, as I said above, the I-151 (no expiration) cards were phased out in the mid 1990s, and were replaced by I-551 that require renewal every 10yrs. Holders of the old cards were told to replace them.

From the Green Card section on uscis.gov :

Versions of Green Card That Are No Longer Valid

If you have a previous version of the alien registration card (e.g., USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form I-151), you must replace it with a current green card.

So mamasue, My husband is also a UK citizen (UK passport) and a green card holder. When I checked us in for our cruise next month, I entered his passport number and not his green card number into the system. He will be taking both the passport and GC with him on the cruise as he never travels outside the US without them both. Are you saying he only needs the GC?

Yes, and you should change your set sail pass to show his GC number, otherwise he may have reentry problems.

I'm not sure why anyone who lives in the US would not want to be a citizen, it gives you way more security than being on a GC, plus you pay taxes, it's nice to be able to vote! Right now I can't even sign school petitions!

That is wrong. If you read the green card rules, you can vote in any election that does NOT require US citizenship. Often you can vote in local elections you just have to check the rules.

Yes, and you should change your set sail pass to show his GC number, otherwise he may have reentry problems.

I've never entered my GC number and haven't had problems. They just input it all when I get there.

That is wrong. If you read the green card rules, you can vote in any election that does NOT require US citizenship. Often you can vote in local elections you just have to check the rules.

I've never entered my GC number and haven't had problems. They just input it all when I get there.

As long as they input the ARC number and not the PP number then it is ok, using just the PP is where issues may occur

Yes I can confirm this...I'm a UK citizen, and GC holder. Although I always have my passport with me, all I ever need to show to get back into the US is my GC (the newer kind)

Also, to board a cruise ship, my GC is all I needed.

This is interesting because I've always needed to show both my passport and GC and I just came back into the US earlier this month after a visit home to Australia. I've cleared immigration in LA, Dallas and Houston off International flights just this year. Maybe it depends on the immigration officer you come across.

Frosty....I entered my GC number in the online documents, and that's all they asked for.

I did it intentionally this time, to see if it could be done....and nobody asked for my passport, both boarding the ship, and coming back to the USA.

I had my passport with me just in case, though, but didn't need to show it.

As your husband entered his passport number in the online documents, they'll probably want to see both. :)

My wife is a German citizen with a valid US Green Card (with an expiration date). She has been told by her government that if she applied for US citizenship, she would have to renounce her German citizenship and also renounce her claim to the German version of Social Security ... in addition our daughter would then no longer be able to claim German / EU citizenship (she is a Dual US / German citizen now, with a right to live and work in both countries).

As such, unless her Government in Berlin decides to make an exception, and allow her to maintain her German citizenship, she will continue to maintain her current status with a US green card.

Michael

Even if German government allows your wife to keep dual citizenship, US government will not. When she becomes naturalized citizen she will have to denounce her German citizenship and turn in German passport.

this isn't a new regulation, below wa cut from a 2010 document.

This is from US Citizenship and Immigration Services. As stated it is important for the card holder to keep their cards up to date, especially when it comes to traveling.

A Permanent Resident Card (USCIS Form I-551) is proof of your permanent resident status in the United States. It also serves as a valid identification document and proof that you are eligible to live and work in the United States. Although some Permanent Resident Cards, commonly known as "Green Cards," contain no expiration date, most are valid for 10 years. If you have been granted conditional permanent resident status, the card is valid for 2 years.

It is important to keep your card up-to-date. Without a valid card, it may be difficult for you to prove that you are a permanent resident, and this could also affect your ability to travel or to prove your eligibility to work in the United States.

Someone compared their trip out of Tampa. No two ports are the same. I sail out of Lauderdale all the time and security into the port I thought was strict until last week, when we waited and waited for our friend to pick us up. He showed up with a sticker on his shirt with his photo on it. They were taking his photo from his license and gave him a visitor ID just to pick us up. And also still the hang tag.

Even if German government allows your wife to keep dual citizenship, US government will not. When she becomes naturalized citizen she will have to denounce her German citizenship and turn in German passport.

Wrong, the US does allow dual citizenship, who would the new USC turn their German passport into?

Totally incorrect. I have many friends who are now US citizens who hold dual Citizenship and I'll be keeping my Aussie citizenship when I'm finally entitled become a US Citizen.

There is no benefit not to apply for citizenship, for some people it is just the expense, and for those with unexpiring green cards there was no need.

I disagree, if you are a greencard holder you are prohibited from serving Jury Duty as you are not a US citizen. While this may not be much of a pro, there are some benefits of not being a US Citizen. Although I think the pros to becoming a citizen probably outweigh the cons.

I disagree, if you are a greencard holder you are prohibited from serving Jury Duty as you are not a US citizen. While this may not be much of a pro, there are some benefits of not being a US Citizen. Although I think the pros to becoming a citizen probably outweigh the cons.

That is a benefit of obtaining citizenship?

That is a benefit of obtaining citizenship?

The OP is saying it's a benefit of NOT becoming a USC

• 5 weeks later...

Just in case anyone was interested in the epilogue to the story:

After many phone calls and emails my wife (who is also the TA for the group) was able to learn that this new regulation was not supposed to go into effect until 12/22/2011 which was after our cruise was over.

After more back and forth, she secured a full refund from RCI for our group member since he was wrongfully denied passage. So everyone involved was happy, even though he missed a great vacation with his family. Customs did warn that this new regulation means that he needs to obtain a new green card, whether he plans to travel or not. Of course she relayed the info to him.

So this was a (mostly) happy ending. The situation is still a tremendous shame, but at least they got their money back. Righting a little wrong like this is great customer relations on RCI's part, even if it wasn't totally their fault.

After many phone calls and emails my wife (who is also the TA for the group) was able to learn that this new regulation was not supposed to go into effect until 12/22/2011 which was after our cruise was over.

After more back and forth, she secured a full refund from RCI for our group member since he was wrongfully denied passage. So everyone involved was happy, even though he missed a great vacation with his family. Customs did warn that this new regulation means that he needs to obtain a new green card, whether he plans to travel or not. Of course she relayed the info to him.

So this was a (mostly) happy ending. The situation is still a tremendous shame, but at least they got their money back. Righting a little wrong like this is great customer relations on RCI's part, even if it wasn't totally their fault.

Well, that's as good an outcome as you can expect after the fact. Thanks for letting us know!:)

Thanks for the update, Grady. So to be clear, the problem here was that your friend was traveling with an older version green card? Once he updates it, he can travel as normal, correct?

I still don't see how he was allowed to board, then called off the ship. If there was a problem, one would think he would be denied boarding in the first place. The end result was the same, unfortunately he missed a great trip, but I think I would have rather never stepped foot on the ship then to be yanked off. Glad he was refunded and can use that money to plan another fabulous vacation.

Archived