Solstice Dec 11-18 - Hangin' with the Primate Posse

subtchr

It was fitting that our last full day of the cruise, a sea day, began with a stunning sunrise:

DSC02787.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

DSC02799.jpg

DSC02800.jpg

I am not sure how much I would enjoy a transatlantic or any itinerary that has many sea days in a row (but I would certainly be willing to try one to see!), but on the typical Caribbean itineraries I have sailed, I adore sea days. I spend a great deal of time walking around taking pictures, usually spend some time in the Solarium and on my balcony, eat and drink at my favorite venues, and generally try to appreciate the freedom to do whatever appeals at the time.

On this day I did all of that, plus a trivia game and a visit to both the Persian Gardens and the Relaxation Room, which is complimentary for Aqua class guests. Both were lovely - tranquil and welcoming. I certainly would not book Aqua just for that perq, but it was nice to be able to try them.

A few pics. Who am I kidding, a lot of pics.

The holiday scene that popped up overnight between the elevators on Deck 3 (not my favorite display, but cute):

DSC_0007-4.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

A few random photos around the public areas:

DSC_0012-3.jpg

DSC_0013-3.jpg

DSC_0015-3.jpg

DSC_0016-3.jpg

I enjoy looking at and reading about the art on board. Although I did not take many pics of the actual pieces, I thought these two placards about the stairway art at the aft and forward stairwells was interesting:

DSC_0004-3.jpg

DSC_0018-4.jpg

You will just have to sail on Solstice yourself to see how well they followed up with these themes!

By far my favorite art on the ship was NIGHT SOLSTICE, the large-scale work that one has to pass through (note I said THROUGH) to get to the Ensemble Lounge and the specialty restaurants on Deck 5.

I had trouble capturing it with my camera, so I used some photos from the artist's own website to try to share it. But even so, it must be seen in person to get a true feel for it.

First, this is the description of the work that is posted as you enter:

NIGHT SOLSTICE, a main feature of The Celebrity Art Collection on Solstice, is a large-scale, site-specific painted installation work by Nancy Friedemann. Friedemann is best known for her lyrical paintings on mylar which often capture the schism and emotion of living between languages and cultures. On Celebrity Solstice, she has painted directly onto the walls and ceiling of the ship, created a floor design, designed and created the lighting and a glass sculptural element to bring into being a room that evokes a nocturnal landscape, a dream area where a visitor enters a space that exists as a three dimensional environment that includes a soundtrack specially composed in cooperation with Heidi Harris.

“I create meticulous compositions in which my fine painted line finds visual resonance with sewing, flowers and nature, and spider webs. My work is inspired by my wonder and delight in lace and crochet patterns, especially as depicted in 18th-century Spanish colonial painting and the Pattern and Decoration movement of the 1970’s.

As well as craft and art history, my personal narrative is the major source of my inspiration. The lace and crochet in my grandmother’s house in Bogota are metaphors of social aspiration, of collective social trauma, of making things veiled, feminine, and dignified. The roses of this particular work are not just the flowers illustrated in Spanish colonial painting, but they are also evocative of the flora that I knew intimately in my youth in Bogota.

This installation was entirely painted and drawn by hand and partially created on site while the ship was being completed. I experienced the ongoing dialogue between myself and the crew on site as especially inspiring. These conversations confirmed by intentions to suggest a collective experience of the magical landscape of memory.”

Several pics:

Nancy-Friedemann_69.jpg

Nancy-Friedemann_72.jpg

Nancy-Friedemann_66.jpg

Nancy-Friedemann_73.jpg

On the floor:

Nancy-Friedemann_75.jpg

Nancy-Friedemann_71.jpg

Truly stunning!

Some more wanderings:

I did miss the wrap-around promenade deck from Royal ships, and being able to access the helipad on some, but there were still some lovely spots to watch the water on Deck 5:

DSC_0019-4.jpg

DSC_0024-5.jpg

DSC_0025-6.jpg

DSC_0020-3.jpg

The area outside the specialty restaurants:

DSC_0029-2.jpg

Glass by the elevators:

DSC_0039-2.jpg

Solarium:

DSC_0046-2.jpg

DSC_0050-1.jpg

Aqua Spa Cafe:

DSC_0047-2.jpg

Sorry, no pics, but we enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Bistro on 5. We both had the beef panini, which was delicious, but the best part was the nutella and banana dessert crepe. Oh my, so good.

A couple other centrum pictures:

DSC_0064-2.jpg

DSC_0065-1.jpg

We had planned a last Primate Posse get-together at the Sunset Bar for 5:00. It was a beautiful night, with a gorgeous sunset, and of course a fun, amazing group of new friends. Pete and Tom brought some champagne to share, and everyone enjoyed that and other libations.

DSC_0066-3.jpg

DSC_0067-1.jpg

DSC_0069-1.jpg

DSC_0071-2.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077-2.jpg

Sue,

thanks for sharing your cruise memories and also the fun and friendship we all enjoyed. Isn't it funny that we all have a different set of photos of the same cruise depending on where we ate and what we chose to do.

I have loved reviving our memories and must download the pictures from our other cameras now.

It was lovely to meet your family and spend time together.

Sue: Thanks for a wonderful review and great pictures. I wish I were as well organized. I haven't even sorted through our pictures yet, and yours are already online, posted here in cruise critic, etc. And Moira is exactly right in observing how just a slightly different location makes a totally different picture.

Thanks again,

Larry

Ah, what fun it has been to read your review, Sue!! And the pictures....awesome!! Thank you so much!! We didn't spend a lot of time with the posse group, but I sure was glad to be part of it. What a great bunch of people! My favorite part of our cruise was actually the tour with Ivan. Sue, you hit the nail on the head with your description of both the tour and Ivan. He is someone I will always remember! Thanks so much for all your hard work! Happy New Year!!

Ruthie and Keith

Thanks for the review and the pictures, Sue. We leave on Jan. 15. Have been on the Equinox and Eclipse but this will be the first time on the Solstice. Although out itinerary is different, the ship is the same and I really enjoyed all of you onboard pictures. BTW, I do recommend a transatlantic cruise....we're doing our 3rd next fall and can hardly wait! Sea days are lovely, ports are not just the typical ones and lots of time to really get to know our new friends and enjoy our old ones.

Can hardly wait to see that turquoise water :)

Thank you so much Sue for your fabulous review and wonderful photos. I look on this site regularly and was alarmed at the recent negative comments concerning the transatlantic cruise and particularly the noro-virus. Reading your review has made me feel much better and begin to look forward to our trip on march 25th. You have taken so much time and made others feel positive!! :)

Thanks again for posting the pictures! I am so ready to go NOW!

Amy,

We're on the 2nd week of your B2B on the Soltice.

This is our first cruise with Celebrity so we're really looking forward to the experience.

Rick

We're sailing on this cruise Jan 8th. thank you for posting this thorough review and all the amazing pictures. i have to admit, once the pics got to the Costa Maya portion, I got a little sad that it was coming to an end (lol). I'm still excited though!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this review and pictures, Sue. The Primate Posse sounds like the best Roll Call ever!

We are on the March 4 cruise with Larry and Jan and were with them on the Solstice in the Med on the Sept 17 cruise. Looking forward to warm, blue water and lovely, white sand soon.

Carole

Archived