Wine questions again

bntacruising

Please forgive for I am sure this has been asked before. I will be taking wine on the Caribbean Princess next week. What is the policy for the dining room. Can you take the bottle to the dining room and back to the room after dinner or do they hold it. Will your room steward bring wine glasses to the room if you ask. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Please forgive for I am sure this has been asked before. I will be taking wine on the Caribbean Princess next week. What is the policy for the dining room. Can you take the bottle to the dining room and back to the room after dinner or do they hold it. Will your room steward bring wine glasses to the room if you ask. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Yes. It has been asked before, but it is an important question.

You can take a bottle of wine to dinner. There is a stated corkage of $15. You can ask them to hold your wine after dinner if there is any left. For me, not likely. :) Also, you can take it to your stateroom. And YES, you have wine glasses brought to your room. It may be room service or your room steward doing the honors.

If I bring wine on at embarkation, do they pull me to the side and count my bottle and multiply by $15 and have me sign a chit for "advance corkage fee"? That's what we experienced on NCL.

Just trying to be honest, up front.

If I bring wine on at embarkation, do they pull me to the side and count my bottle and multiply by $15 and have me sign a chit for "advance corkage fee"?

They do not. You can drink the wine in your stateroom for no fee. It's only if you bring it into a dining room that you're charged the corkage.

If you bring an open bottle of wine to the dining room do they still charge the corkage fee?

More than likely they will charge you the fee. The fee offsets lost revenue from not purchasing wine from the ship. It is not simply for removing the cork.

Good Sailing

Tom

1977 MS Skyward

1978 MS Starward

1979 MS Southward

1981 Sun Princess

1983 SS Norway

1984 SS Emerald Seas

1992 Monarch of the Seas

1993 Costa Allegra

2007 Westerdam

2008 Zuiderdam

2009 Ruby Princess

2010 Ruby Princess

2011 Emerald Princess

Yes I am a pirate – Two hundred years too late

If I bring wine on at embarkation, do they pull me to the side and count my bottle and multiply by $15 and have me sign a chit for "advance corkage fee"? That's what we experienced on NCL.

Just trying to be honest, up front.

You are right about NCL charging you $15 per bottle of wine at the security check.

Princess does not. Only if you bring it to the dining room for drinking there.

If you bring an open bottle of wine to the dining room do they still charge the corkage fee?

Yes, of course. UNLESS.... it was one you purchased previously on the ship at a different venue and took unfinished to your table, then no. Buy one at the table and they'll save the bottle for the next night to finish.

How many bottles of wine can you bring on per person at embarkation and in each port?

I once read somewhere that they allow 1 bottle per person per day. I don't think they really enforce this since they have never stopped me to count the bottles. We are wine collectors with a large cellar, so we always take "alot" of wine with us on Princess and HAL. But you have to remember that you will be carrying the wine. I have a couple of rolling carry on type bags that I use. Even so, you will board via the gangway on deck 5 (or so) on embarkation day. You will probably have to lug the wine up the stairs to your cabin because elevators are rare on embarkation day. This can be quite a chore.

Good Sailing

Tom

1977 MS Skyward

1978 MS Starward

1979 MS Southward

1981 Sun Princess

1983 SS Norway

1984 SS Emerald Seas

1992 Monarch of the Seas

1993 Costa Allegra

2007 MS Westerdam

2008 MS Zuiderdam

2009 Ruby Princess

2010 Ruby Princess

2011 Emerald Princess

Yes I am a pirate – Two hundred years too late

We routinely take a case or more. In October on the Sapphire, we took eight or 10 bottles. Cannot remember but we supplemented at all of our stops on this California Coastal cruise -- Santa Barbara, Napa, San Francisco. I think we ended up with another eight bottles. You are only charged the corkage fee when you bring to the dining room. $15. We had to call room service for our wine glasses but ended up asking for six so we always had a clean supply. The cabin steward did end up washing them every day however. Midway through the cruise, our stewards changed and the new guy ended up taking our souvenier glasses from a Napa winery. He tracked them down however and returned them within a few minutes.

Archived