Post Cruise Stay in or near Rome

fuzzywuzzy

Hello everyone: My hubby and I are trying to decide about taking the Eurodam transatlantic voyage next April which ends in Civitavecchia. We have NEVER been to Europe or sailed across the ocean so I have a lot of questions and researching to do. :eek:

Is it wiser to stay at Civi... or closer to Rome near the airport? We want to stay an extra couple of nights after the cruise to try and see some of the sights of Rome then we will be flying home from Rome. HAL will transfer us to the hotel but I am wanting to book the hotel myself as I am realizing it is much cheaper to do it that way. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a reasonable rate hotel which is decent and handy for us to take excursions from? Thank you for any advice you can provide me to help me decide asap.

No need to stay in Civitavecchia or near the airport in Rome.

You will enjoy Rome much more if you stay in an area centrally located to the sites.

We stayed at Hotel Artemide and were pleased with the location, price and service. They have a lovely breakfast that is included.

http://www.hotelartemide.it/

Lots of people will recommend Albergo del Senato. It literally overlooks the Pantheon.

http://www.albergodelsenato.it/

Both hotels get excellent recommendations on Trip Advisor, another website that you will find helpful.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

Are you going to explore Rome on your own, or are you looking for a reputable tour company?

I can recommend Romeinlimo if you are looking for a private tour option.

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

They will also provide a private guide for your visit to the Vatican, if you want that option.

I suggest you purchase the book Rick Steves' Rome 2012. You can order it on Amazon. It is available at our Costco, too.

You can also download some walking tours and listen to them on an iPod.

http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

Have fun doing some research on these boards and other websites.

This is a great place to get started. There are several experts who travel to Europe / Rome often who can give you some great tips.

Enjoy!

Hello everyone: My hubby and I are trying to decide about taking the Eurodam transatlantic voyage next April which ends in Civitavecchia. We have NEVER been to Europe or sailed across the ocean so I have a lot of questions and researching to do. :eek:

Is it wiser to stay at Civi... or closer to Rome near the airport? We want to stay an extra couple of nights after the cruise to try and see some of the sights of Rome then we will be flying home from Rome. HAL will transfer us to the hotel but I am wanting to book the hotel myself as I am realizing it is much cheaper to do it that way. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a reasonable rate hotel which is decent and handy for us to take excursions from? Thank you for any advice you can provide me to help me decide asap.

You don't really want to stay in Civitavecchia (80km from Rome), or by the airport (30km from Rome); I would recommend staying in Rome itself. Also, it's a lot cheaper to just take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome (under €10) vs the cruise line transfers (typically $80-90)

We stayed at teh Beehive B&B near Termini Station in Rome, and loved it. OK; it has a shared bath, but it just wasn't a big deal. Clean comfortable; couldn't ask for more.

Thank you for the quick replies. Yes, I can see that staying in Rome is probably way better. Would HAL transfer us to this place the Beehive B&B? What is the cost? We don't want to spend huge dollars but yet we want something nice and clean and in a safe area. If we negotiated ourselves on the train to Rome, then what? Do you hail a cab to the hotel or B&B? We will have two big suitcases and two carry-ons so would that pose a problem when taking the train?

Thank you for the quick replies. Yes, I can see that staying in Rome is probably way better. Would HAL transfer us to this place the Beehive B&B? What is the cost? We don't want to spend huge dollars but yet we want something nice and clean and in a safe area. If we negotiated ourselves on the train to Rome, then what? Do you hail a cab to the hotel or B&B? We will have two big suitcases and two carry-ons so would that pose a problem when taking the train?

From what I understand there are a lot of stairs involved in taking the train. Best bet is to book tranfers with cruise line or a limo company.

We stayed in Rome 4 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise to maximize our time there. We had been there in the 1990s and were anxious to enjoy more of this marvellous city.

I will post a link to our review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=33168

Hope this helps.

Photos in the link below (Legend of the Seas Cruise)

Kathy:)

Definitely stay in Rome. When our ship docked in Civitavecchia we opted to carry our luggage off the ship ourselves so were one of the first off. We then caught the free port shuttle which takes you to the gates of the port. From there it's a 10 minute flat walk along a sidewalk to the train station. You'll have to negotiate some stairs at the station as you need to cross to the other side by going under the tracks. I don't know if there's an elevator as we were OK with the stairs. The train is only $10 pp and a 40 minute ride to the main Termini station in Rome. There are a few other train stations in Rome so the trip could be shorter depending on your accommodations. You'll get off the train at one end of the station and then walk about 5 minutes to the other end of the station (same level) where there are taxis. Our B&B (Roman Residence) was only a flat 5 minute walk from the station. When we were leaving to come home we just walked back to the train station and took the Leonardo Da Vinci Express Train that takes you directly to the airport non-stop. Costs about $20 pp. I believe HAL offers a transfer to purchase that drops you off in a piazza in Rome that is located around the Castel San Angelo.

All the ancient sites are located within a very small area that is easy to walk. To give you an idea, it's about an hour's walk from the Colosseum to the Vatican and everything you'll want to see is between these two sites.

If you want a nice, quiet, safe, inexpensive B&B that's a 15 walk from all the ancient Roman sites I'd recommend Roman Residence (we've stayed there 3 times). There'll be about 6 steps that need to be negotiated to get you from street level to the elevator.

Definitely stay in Rome. When our ship docked in Civitavecchia we opted to carry our luggage off the ship ourselves so were one of the first off. We then caught the free port shuttle which takes you to the gates of the port. From there it's a 10 minute flat walk along a sidewalk to the train station. You'll have to negotiate some stairs at the station as you need to cross to the other side by going under the tracks. I don't know if there's an elevator as we were OK with the stairs. The train is only $10 pp and a 40 minute ride to the main Termini station in Rome. There are a few other train stations in Rome so the trip could be shorter depending on your accommodations. You'll get off the train at one end of the station and then walk about 5 minutes to the other end of the station (same level) where there are taxis. Our B&B (Roman Residence) was only a flat 5 minute walk from the station. When we were leaving to come home we just walked back to the train station and took the Leonardo Da Vinci Express Train that takes you directly to the airport non-stop. Costs about $20 pp. I believe HAL offers a transfer to purchase that drops you off in a piazza in Rome that is located around the Castel San Angelo.

All the ancient sites are located within a very small area that is easy to walk. To give you an idea, it's about an hour's walk from the Colosseum to the Vatican and everything you'll want to see is between these two sites.

If you want a nice, quiet, safe, inexpensive B&B that's a 15 walk from all the ancient Roman sites I'd recommend Roman Residence (we've stayed there 3 times). There'll be about 6 steps that need to be negotiated to get you from street level to the elevator.

Thankyou. HAL has booked us on a transfer to the airport. Then from there we have to negotiate our way to our hotel. Hopefully there is a shuttle from the airport to wherever we book for 3 nights. I have been looking at a place called Roman Terrace B&B. Does anyone know this place? It sounds nice and I stumbled upon it doing a B&B search online.

Hopefully there is a shuttle from the airport to wherever we book for 3 nights. I have been looking at a place called Roman Terrace B&B. Does anyone know this place? It sounds nice and I stumbled upon it doing a B&B search online.

Hotels in Rome do not have shuttle buses to the airport; you can arrange a private transfer or just take a taxi. Taxi fares from the airport to central Rome are fixed at 40 Euros, inclusive of luggage.

Unless HAL is giving you the transfer for free, it's not that helpful to get from Civitavecchia to the airport. Much better just to get from the port into Rome somehow on your own.

You can get a shuttle for 90 euro for both of you, direct from the ship to your hotel. If you have to pay for the HAL transfer plus the price of a taxi from the airport into Rome, the direct shuttle is likely a better bet.

As for the train, IF you can handle your bags on your own it is a good option. There are not a LOT of stairs (probably one flight down and one flight up). If that is too much with your luggage, your options are more limited. In Europe it is really better to try to travel with less.

Unless HAL is giving you the transfer for free, it's not that helpful to get from Civitavecchia to the airport. Much better just to get from the port into Rome somehow on your own.

You can get a shuttle for 90 euro for both of you, direct from the ship to your hotel. If you have to pay for the HAL transfer plus the price of a taxi from the airport into Rome, the direct shuttle is likely a better bet.

As for the train, IF you can handle your bags on your own it is a good option. There are not a LOT of stairs (probably one flight down and one flight up). If that is too much with your luggage, your options are more limited. In Europe it is really better to try to travel with less.

Yes, we would like to travel with less but coming off a transatlantic cruise, we are going to have some luggage to haul around. Maybe we can find a hotel that will provide a shuttle service and pick us up at the airport? Have others done that?

Hotels in Rome do not have shuttle buses to the airport; you can arrange a private transfer or just take a taxi. Taxi fares from the airport to central Rome are fixed at 40 Euros, inclusive of luggage.

Thank you. I see this answers my previous post about shuttles from hotels to the airport. I guess we will have to take a taxi. Is it a big hassle to grab a taxi after we find our luggage?

From what I understand there are a lot of stairs involved in taking the train. Best bet is to book tranfers with cruise line or a limo company.

We stayed in Rome 4 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise to maximize our time there. We had been there in the 1990s and were anxious to enjoy more of this marvellous city.

I will post a link to our review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=33168

Hope this helps.

Photos in the link below (Legend of the Seas Cruise)

Kathy:)

Thank you Kathy. I just printed off your report with regard to your time in Rome. I'm going to take it to bed and read and highlight. :)

You may have better luck getting with some of the others in your roll call to see if you can share transport from the ship into historic Rome. I gather there are 2 of you. If you can arrange for 4-6 others to share with you I would definitely arrange with a company like Rome in Limo to pick you up at the port and then take you to the door of where you will be staying. Just see the HUGE thread of all the satisfied customers. We plan to use Rome in Limo again this coming summer, both for transfers and some tours pre-cruise.

It sounds like the train may be a little too much for you and the luggage due to the all the walking and the stairs.

I don't know anything about the B & B's you mentioned but try googling them for reviews and also check with Trip Adviser. That site was invaluable when choosing our apartment in Rome last summer.

You may have better luck getting with some of the others in your roll call to see if you can share transport from the ship into historic Rome. I gather there are 2 of you. If you can arrange for 4-6 others to share with you I would definitely arrange with a company like Rome in Limo to pick you up at the port and then take you to the door of where you will be staying. Just see the HUGE thread of all the satisfied customers. We plan to use Rome in Limo again this coming summer, both for transfers and some tours pre-cruise.

It sounds like the train may be a little too much for you and the luggage due to the all the walking and the stairs.

I don't know anything about the B & B's you mentioned but try googling them for reviews and also check with Trip Adviser. That site was invaluable when choosing our apartment in Rome last summer.

We also arranged transport both to and from the port with others on our roll call--it worked out great. We used www.romashuttle.com they were great! We were all dropped off at our individual hotels.

Marge

We also arranged transport both to and from the port with others on our roll call--it worked out great. We used www.romashuttle.com they were great! We were all dropped off at our individual hotels.

Marge

Thank you. I just phoned HAL and had them cancel our transfers they had arranged from the ship to the AIRPORT. Since we are not flying that day, we thought that would be wasted time and money because then we would have to arrange for another transportation line to take us from the airport to our hotel.

I just booked our hotel !! I was so confused after reading so many different reviews and trying to get a handle on the location of each in Rome as well. Looked at Google Earth for 3 that I had it narrowed down to. i.e. Hotel Gambrinus, Roman Terrace B&B and the NH Vittorio Veneta. I actually had a hold on the Roman Terrace but then found out that they don't serve breakfast !! What's up with that when they are called a "bed and breakfast"? We kind of liked the "old world" charm of the Hotel Gambrinus and that's the one I just booked through Expedia. I hope that is satisfactory. They had some good prices for a superior room (at least in comparison to others).

Do you pay the hotel upon checkout? Do people use cash or travellers' cheques? Someone said on this board to buy your euros in Rome. Is there somewhere to buy them at the cruiseport? We would need money before arriving at the ports of call.

Sorry for all the questions.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE TripAdvisor. I have used it many times and have posted many reviews as well. Yes, I have been sifting through the many reviews for some of the hotels that people have used on this board keeping in mind our budget limits. Many are far beyond our price range.

No I don't think we will take the train because of our luggage. Maybe we can find somebody to share a shuttle with us from the ship. Yes there are two of us - my hubby and I. I will get on the Roll Call now and ask the question. We have lots of time for that though. I just wanted to get the cruise booked and the room at the far end booked in Rome. What happens in between?......not sure yet. lol. One step at a time.

Thank you Kathy. I just printed off your report with regard to your time in Rome. I'm going to take it to bed and read and highlight. :)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Photos from the cruise are in the link below.

Pre-booking limos/tours/entrance tickets and so on, really made the trip go smoothly.

We read tons of info on the various sites and were glad we did as it helps you appreciate what you are seeing.

Just thinking about that cruise and our second Med. cruise makes me want to go back.:D

Kathy

Thank you. I just phoned HAL and had them cancel our transfers they had arranged from the ship to the AIRPORT. Since we are not flying that day, we thought that would be wasted time and money because then we would have to arrange for another transportation line to take us from the airport to our hotel.

I just booked our hotel !! I was so confused after reading so many different reviews and trying to get a handle on the location of each in Rome as well. Looked at Google Earth for 3 that I had it narrowed down to. i.e. Hotel Gambrinus, Roman Terrace B&B and the NH Vittorio Veneta. I actually had a hold on the Roman Terrace but then found out that they don't serve breakfast !! What's up with that when they are called a "bed and breakfast"? We kind of liked the "old world" charm of the Hotel Gambrinus and that's the one I just booked through Expedia. I hope that is satisfactory. They had some good prices for a superior room (at least in comparison to others).

Do you pay the hotel upon checkout? Do people use cash or travellers' cheques? Someone said on this board to buy your euros in Rome. Is there somewhere to buy them at the cruiseport? We would need money before arriving at the ports of call.

Sorry for all the questions.

Many on the board have said that the way to get the best exchange rate is to get your euros thru ATM's and use a credit card for purchases wherever you can (Capital One is the only one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee). On our trip I knew we would be heading out on excursions early for all day tours and would not have time to look for ATM's so we purchased our euros from our bank at home. Used the credit card whenever we could and the euros for taxis, tours, etc. We turned our leftover euros back in to the bank when we got home. (Should have saved them---I want to go back!!)

Marge

Many on the board have said that the way to get the best exchange rate is to get your euros thru ATM's and use a credit card for purchases wherever you can (Capital One is the only one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee). On our trip I knew we would be heading out on excursions early for all day tours and would not have time to look for ATM's so we purchased our euros from our bank at home. Used the credit card whenever we could and the euros for taxis, tours, etc. We turned our leftover euros back in to the bank when we got home. (Should have saved them---I want to go back!!)

Marge

Thanks for the good advice. I know we will buy some euros at home and then use our credit card. I hope the exchange rate stays decent. Right now it is 1.34 for Cdn.

:eek:Booked the Hotel Gambrinus in Rome's historic area. The reviews on TripAdvisor were quite positive. I hope it was a wise choice. We used Google Earth to walk the street and stand right in front of the building!! Isn't that amazing!! It's the next best thing to being there. What did we ever do without technology? Now we are just a click away from talking to the hotels and standing there looking it over. Not sure how up to date Google Earth's pics are though.

I had tentatively booked the Roman Terrace B&B but lo and behold they don't serve breakfast! Why call themselves then a B&B? So I let that one go.

• 2 weeks later...

OH, I really recommend you stay IN Rome after your cruise if you wish to see the sights in Rome. Civitavecchia and FCO are quite far (nearly an hour on the average) from ROme itself, and quite cumbersome and expensive to go back and forth by train or taxi. It is really not worth it. You can get to the airport quite easy from Rome (about 45 minutes away, give or take traffic), so no need to stay close to the airport and try to see Rome from there. In fact, I recommend you stay as close to the center as possible to make the most out of your stay by seeing as much as possible in as little time as possible. You can definitely see ROme in a couple of days if planned well in advance and group your visits geographically (for ex: Vatican, Castle San't Angelo, Piazza Navona, etc in 1 day since they are walking distance apart)....and Coliseum, Forum, Pantheon, and even Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps in 1 day. There are buses and metros that can take you from one site to another to save on walking (though walking is fun too because there is so much to see!!)

Archived