To Cove or not to Cove.. THAT is the question!

rtw68

Should we get a Cove or a Regular Balcony on the Breeze in December 2012?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get a Cove or a Regular Balcony on the Breeze in December 2012?

• Get a Cove Balcony
    • Get a Regular Balcony

We are wanting to book the Breeze for December 2012 and are trying to figure out whether to get a Cove or a regular balcony like we had on the Dream.

I have seen many pics and love the size of the balcony on a Cove. Would also enjoy being so close to the ocean and having the great view. It would be better than our first cruise on the Fantasy (had a Grand Suite). Only concern we have is depending on the seas balcony could be wet all the time and they could close the outside door.

We were able to use our Balcony on the Dream (deck 8) the entire time and loved it. Breakfast, coffee, relaxing while in port, etc.

Anyone have experience on the Dream with not being able to be on the balcony on their Cove? I would also want to avoid the cabins below the galley, correct?

Would we be better off with what we know, or take a chance and get a Cove?

We had a cove on the Dream, right under the galley. Didn't know any better when I booked so I was a bit concerned going in and took ear plugs just in case. No noise at all.

Had some surf happening at sail away, nothing too serious, but enough to knock you a little off balance if you weren't careful. We were also just ahead of a hurricane leaving Costa Maya. No problems with the cove at all. Only time there was water on it was when they sprayed it down to clean it.

Prior to sailing, I had read Host Mach's postings from his experience sailing in a cove on her transatlantic. The impression I got was that it would take some seriously rough seas to cause them to close off the cove.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Havent' sailed in one, but from some reviews I've seen on here, if there is really bad weather, they do close those balconies, while the regular balconies are not. Granted, most people probably wouldn't want to be out on a regular balcony during bad weather, we enjoy being out there watching the rough ocean.

We booked a Cove balcony for our Breeze sailing in 2013. We did a lot of reading and looked at pics and videos and that convinced us to try one. I will be disappointed if they have to close the weather door but I doubt it would remain closed for long. Plus, it sounds like it would take some pretty bad weather to make them close up.

I say go for it! :D

I researched (and still am) a cove for our March Dream western caribbean cruise. Unless they are sailing through a hurricane, it doesn't appear they close the watertight doors very often. It appears December isn't too bad weather-wise either, maybe get on a couple roll calls for other ships sailing now and have them report back how the weather was on their cruise.

In March I figured we're safe, so we went for it. I sail to see water from my room, I can people watch everywhere else. The other balconies on these ships look at the deck, then the water at a distance. The privacy is not as good up above, but you get sun. Cove is shaded by the lifeboats, so that is a consideration.

There are plenty of cabins mid to forward that aren't under the galley and have heard from people that actually stayed in the cabin we'll be in (2349) that is was silent from noise above.

Every time I see a thread on Cove's I gotta take a looksie! Good luck.

Edit: Holy crap, I just noticed that Zydecocruiser http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/coveDummies.htm was in the same cabin! How the heck did I miss that???

We cruised in March on the Dream and had a cove balcony. IT WAS WONDERFUL!!! :D Will always do a cove if they are available.

Is your picture of a single cove balcony or of two balconies with the dividin:Dg door opened? I see three chairs and a table which seems more than most balconies can handle. Thanks.

I have always booked an oceanview on Deck 2, below a dining room, since it is usually quiet. However, on the cruise that I am considering on the Magic, the only Oceanviews available are on Deck 1, or very far forward (below the theater) on Deck 2 or very far aft (weird shaped rooms) on Deck 2. I have posted several times to ask about Deck 1, but never got a straight answer, and am giving up on that.

So, we are considering booking a cove balcony, since it the next cheapest option, after oceanview. We have never had any kind of balcony. Would it be a good idea to book a cove balcony, as the next cheapest option after oceanview?

Also, if the storm door is closed, is there still a window (turning the room into an oceanview, which is ok) or does it turn the room into an inside state room (which we would not want)?

Thank you.

Also, if the storm door is closed, is there still a window (turning the room into an oceanview, which is ok) or does it turn the room into an inside state room (which we would not want)?

Thank you.

If they close the storm door you will still have a window and an ocean view. Take a look at Zydecocruiser's pics (link was posted by shootr) and you'll see how it looks before, during and after they close the storm door.

Is your picture of a single cove balcony or of two balconies with the dividin:Dg door opened? I see three chairs and a table which seems more than most balconies can handle. Thanks.

That is 2 balconies with the divider opened. There was a good amount of space. I was really surprised at how much.

We had a cove balcony on the Magic Nov. 27, and we loved it. The view was great, and despite high winds & seas throughout our cruise, the storm door was never closed.

Here's one of my favorite views from the cove balcony at sunset, which I took as we sailed through the Gulf. (I'm sorry it's crooked!) You can see that the lifeboats are directly overhead, which is a good thing in the event of rain.

MagicSunset112711d.jpg

I think I'm in the minority here, and have never been in a cove balcony. But from what I've seen, I think I would rather have a regular balony. I prefer the openness (is that a word?) & being higher up on the ship.

I think I'm in the minority here, and have never been in a cove balcony. But from what I've seen, I think I would rather have a regular balony. I prefer the openness (is that a word?) & being higher up on the ship.

Personally, I don't understand the popularity !

Underneath an overhanging lifeboat ? Virtually sitting in the dark, no direct sun to speak of ? Also, I don't see any added privacy thing hanging over the railing.......leaning against the railing puts you eye-to-eye with neighbors ? Don't get it. Not for us.

We've looked at the cove for several sailings, and even booked one once, but always decided against it. I think it is a good alternative an ocean view cabin, but I don't think it would compare to a regular balcony for allowing light into the cabin. The attraction for me would be being close to the water, but I personally wouldn't do it just for that unless I was really trying to keep the cost down.

We have had many balconys, aft balconys, and a cove on the Dream. The cove was by far our favorite. The views and closeness to the ocean is breathtaking. Especially the sunsets.

We are now going on the Magic in 4 weeks and have booked another midship cove.

If a ship does not have the coves we always stay deck 7 or higher in a balcony. IMHO until you have tried a cove you cannot vote or give an opinion.....because until we did we would never stay on lower decks either.

Hope this helps

We had a cove balcony on the Magic Nov. 27, and we loved it. The view was great, and despite high winds & seas throughout our cruise, the storm door was never closed.

Here's one of my favorite views from the cove balcony at sunset, which I took as we sailed through the Gulf. (I'm sorry it's crooked!) You can see that the lifeboats are directly overhead, which is a good thing in the event of rain.

MagicSunset112711d.jpg

MagicSunset112711dstraight.jpg

Easy fix, message me if you want me to delete this, or I can fix a full resolution for you if you want.

Have not stayed in a Cove yet. Were supposed to last month, but a death in the family caused us to cancel (thank goodness for insurance.) We have booked again for next November, same time frame and same cabin.

We booked primarily for the itinerary which includes Costa Maya, our favorite laid back, relaxing port and wanted to try a Cove. Sailed the Dream before on a regular balcony.

I've been all over these boards saying how much I loved our cove. :) I will never book another class of cabin on these ships ever again.

Everyone has their different preferences in a cabin, which is why it's so great to have a wide variety of cabins available. For me, I get plenty of opportunities for sun - I don't get many opportunities to be that close to the water. It really did change the experience for us, and we used our balcony more often as a result. I love to watch the wake as we sail. I couldn't do that in any other balcony cabin on this class of ship; it's almost possible forward and aft, where the lanai doesn't extend out, but it just doesn't compare to the cove.

Archived