How About A Surcharge For Multiple Portions......

nycruise

Been on two Carnival cruises now-- don't have a problem with the food.

For those of you that remember the old days, well, I guess it's not the same. (And that's not just with Carnival, or cruising in general)----that's everywhere.

I'm on a couple of Las Vegas message boards, and the same opinions are posted there almost on a daily basis.

Also don't have a problem with Carnival trying to turn a profit--who's to say what profit is excessive?

I like Carnival for the fact that the meals are included except for the steakhouse. On other ships I think you are "nickel and dimed" to death. $10 for tacos, $20 for italian, $5 for pizza, $30 for steak etc. and that's what sets Carnival apart. I think there is no reason your meals wouldn't be fully covered if you are paying $1100+ for a 7 day cruise. I can understand a specialty restaurant but nothing more than that. :eek:

What lines charge per meal. I've only cruised Carnival and NCL. Both of those lines had great offerings in the MDR. Having meals included is a huge bonus overother type vacations. I don't mind them having pay extra venues to give me a wider variety, but I do like having the option to try out things I might not try if I were paying per item. I hardly ever order more than one entree but have tried two appetizers because they sounded interesting.

You mean to tell me you never drink, gamble, buy photos, go to the spa, buy items from the shops, take a ship tour, go to a speciality restaurant, play bingo, go to a wine tasting, give a tip, etc. That's far from all inclusive.

I don't do any of the above.....

What lines charge per meal. I've only cruised Carnival and NCL. Both of those lines had great offerings in the MDR. Having meals included is a huge bonus overother type vacations. I don't mind them having pay extra venues to give me a wider variety, but I do like having the option to try out things I might not try if I were paying per item. I hardly ever order more than one entree but have tried two appetizers because they sounded interesting.

NCL is very well known for "cover charges" for their restaurants. They offer the main dining room and the buffets for free, as every other ship. They were the cruise line I was referencing. On the Epic, 10 of the 16 restaurants have a cover charge. Some people will say they'll pay extra because they offer "specialties" such as Italian, Mexican or Japanese food. Other cruise lines, such as Carnival, offer those same types of food for free.

I personally don't order anything beyond my meal, but my husband has at times. For instance, if there are two great meals offered on the same night he would order two. I think charging for it would be silly. I don't believe cruise lines are hurting for money at all. Think about it this way.

I'll make up some numbers, so if they aren't correct don't light me on fire.

2,500 (people) x $500 (cheap cruise fare) = $1,250,000

Just think that would be per cruise! More than likely that number is going to be higher because most rooms for a 7 day cruise are over $500 not to mention the price for balconies & suites. Just for one ship alone for the month you're looking at $5,000,000. Carnival has how many ships? Sure they have to pay employees, buy the food etc. but the profit from each cruise is more than likely quite a bit or they wouldn't be in the business.

I like Carnival for the fact that the meals are included except for the steakhouse. On other ships I think you are "nickel and dimed" to death. $10 for tacos, $20 for italian, $5 for pizza, $30 for steak etc. and that's what sets Carnival apart. I think there is no reason your meals wouldn't be fully covered if you are paying $1100+ for a 7 day cruise. I can understand a specialty restaurant but nothing more than that. :eek:

I'm curious where you get your information from. All the lines work the same. Each have a buffet and MDR for free. Except most other lines have more pay options than Carnival.

People seem to like to knock other lines for having more pay venues but seem to conveniently leave out the fact that those lines offer the SAME free options that Carnival does. Of course that goes with that blind loyalty that some people have to one line that amazes me and the need to prove the line of their choice is better by knocking something they haven't even experienced.

I'm curious where you get your information from. All the lines work the same. Each have a buffet and MDR for free. Except most other lines have more pay options than Carnival.

People seem to like to knock other lines for having more pay venues but seem to conveniently leave out the fact that those lines offer the SAME free options that Carnival does. Of course that goes with that blind loyalty that some people have to one line that amazes me and the need to prove the line of their choice is better by knocking something they haven't even experienced.

wasn't it the gem that originally not going to have a mdr? and then they had to change their plans for one?

NCL is very well known for "cover charges" for their restaurants. They offer the main dining room and the buffets for free, as every other ship. They were the cruise line I was referencing. On the Epic, 10 of the 16 restaurants have a cover charge. Some people will say they'll pay extra because they offer "specialties" such as Italian, Mexican or Japanese food. Other cruise lines, such as Carnival, offer those same types of food for free.

So your problem is they offer more pay options? :rolleyes:

Explain to me how its different than Carnival. On Carnival the offer steak in the MDR yet they have a pay restaurant that also serves steak.

I think other lines do food better than Carnival by offering more choices. They have the standard free venues and give you the option of more pay places.

Carnival markets itself as the "Funship" for the whole family. Look at the commercials that have been for the past few years. Most of them show Mom and Dad with kids letting go and building memories of a family orientated vacation.

With that said, how many parents are going to book a cruise where they have to pay surcharges everytime their growing teenager eats? I say leave it the way it is. My guess is that cruiselines probably calculate the defecit of food eaten by the elderly, toddlers and other below average eaters make up the difference of the larger consumption of growing teens and big eaters anyway. As far as "higher quality food" when dining, there is the additional charge venues for those who desire this choice.

The MDR is fine the way it is. The portion size is for an average appetite. If you want more you ask for more. Land based restaurants tend to have very large portions to make sure you get your money's worth. If a cruise line wanted to charge for extras, then the first portion would grow otherwise the comparision to what people are used to in a restaurant would not be good. The food is precooked. It's either eaten or tossed, period. There will always be some waste because they have to estimate how many and much to prepare of each item. The buffet is pretty much the same except the made to order items. In fact most food is loaded at the first of the cruise in it's bulk form and if it's not used on that cruise it is tossed and a whole new load brought onboard to insure the safety and freshness of the food. Eat it or toss it.

of food in the MDR.

Everyone is complaining about the quality of the food in the MDR and blame it on cost control.

Maybe if they didn't let people order multiple entrees, appetizers and desserts, they could offer better quality food in the MDR for the rest of us.

How about a small surcharge for extra desserts and appetizers and a larger one for entrees. I bet that would cut down on the double and triple ordering I hear talked about on these boards.;)

I think that it would be difficult to enforce this, and it would be another duty that would tie up the wait staff. While I hear you, and I personally dont order multiple items from the menu, even when I absolutely love said item; I just dont like looking like a "hog". However it doesnt bother me what other folks do...to each their own as they say! It's your cruise!

Also, there have been times when I didnt like much on the main course menu, so I have ordered two different appetizers, a soup, a salad, and a dessert, so I would not have liked being charged for the second appetizer, considering I did not order a main course.

I think that the cost cutting the cruise lines are doing ( not just Carnival ), are similar to the cost cutting of airlines, hotels etc etc. But to add more surcharges to cruise food will not likely go over well with most cruisers. This JMHO. You asked for it!:D

I just don't remember the Mexican, Italian and Japanese restaurants being included on Carnival. Now I've only been on the Fascination, so other Carnival ships may have them. Which Carnival ships have those type restaurants covered in the base price? We are always interested in getting good value for our cruise dollar and would love to look into these ships.

I guess you understand then that CCL MISSED their numbers. fuel costs were up 30% year over year, which hurt them the worst. Bookings are up, but for lower prices (i.e. they will need to cut back more) and the ceo said they forcast only 1% to 2% more that cabins will increase their net spending, i.e what they spend on the cruise I would guess.

Mickie doesn't hedge fuel so that is the biggest variable for CCL. He could have recouped some of that by putting the fuel surcharge back on. He didn't so there's the majority of the downturn in earnings. Given the uncertainty in the economy, bookings would be expected to decrease and the only way to increase them is to lower prices. He'll lose some of his base in the Carnival segment and possibly pick it up on the other lines. Headwinds are a bitch whether in the air or on the sea. Seems he's staying with dear old dad's premise of providing for the average man and right now, the average man is still hurting.

I really enjoy being able to order multiple entrees on board. I normally order one appetizer, one entree (unless its the lobster night, of course, then I MUST have a steak with it! :p) and two desserts, a chocolate melting cake & whatever else tickles my fancy. On my last cruise, it was the waiters who were bringing us multiple entrees when we didn't order them. I would always taste a little bit of each dish that was on the table. I don't think a surcharge is necessary, the food is already pretty good!

[quote name='nycruise']of food in the MDR.

Everyone is complaining about the quality of the food in the MDR and blame it on cost control.

Maybe if they didn't let people order multiple entrees, appetizers and desserts, they could offer better quality food in the MDR for the rest of us.

How about a small surcharge for extra desserts and appetizers and a larger one for entrees. I bet that would cut down on the double and triple ordering I hear talked about on these boards.;)[/QUOTE]

Where do you people keep coming up with these ignorant ideas?

[quote name='livestocruisetoo']Mickie doesn't hedge fuel so that is the biggest variable for CCL. He could have recouped some of that by putting the fuel surcharge back on. He didn't so there's the majority of the downturn in earnings. Given the uncertainty in the economy, bookings would be expected to decrease and the only way to increase them is to lower prices. He'll lose some of his base in the Carnival segment and possibly pick it up on the other lines. Headwinds are a bitch whether in the air or on the sea. Seems he's staying with dear old dad's premise of providing for the average man and right now, the average man is still hurting.[/quote]

Actually, they said during earnings, that Carnival did start hedging fuel (RCL has been doing it all along). And that the hedging is why it was only 30% more year over year.

More bookings at lower prices is what I read also. I've seen some really good deals. In January 1A for $399 pp, too bad Im solo and it would be 200% or Id jump on it.

I can't say I am wild about all the food, but I never starve. Food is fine for this picky eater.

[quote name='BeachChik']I'm curious where you get your information from. All the lines work the same. Each have a buffet and MDR for free. Except most other lines have more pay options than Carnival.

People seem to like to knock other lines for having more pay venues but seem to conveniently leave out the fact that those lines offer the SAME free options that Carnival does. Of course that goes with that blind loyalty that some people have to one line that amazes me and the need to prove the line of their choice is better by knocking something they haven't even experienced.[/quote]
[B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]
Clearly, you didn't read my response that was a few posts above yours. If you go back and read it, you will see that in the response I said the main dining room and the buffet is offered free on every ship.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] :eek:

[quote name='groo']I just don't remember the Mexican, Italian and Japanese restaurants being included on Carnival. Now I've only been on the Fascination, so other Carnival ships may have them. Which Carnival ships have those type restaurants covered in the base price? We are always interested in getting good value for our cruise dollar and would love to look into these ships.[/quote]

[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]We were on the Dream in September. For instance, they was a sushi "bar", pasta bar, the "normal" buffet style food, a burrito bar & the BBQ on the Lanai (which was excellent). There was only one for fee restaurant and that was the steakhouse.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[quote name='firefly333']Actually, they said during earnings, that Carnival did start hedging fuel (RCL has been doing it all along). And that the hedging is why it was only 30% more year over year.
[/quote]

Ah thanks. When he was interviewed on CNBC Squawk Box, in NYC for an NBA owner's meeting I think, he said there was no plans to change at that time. Good. That should help keep the price down which is a plus for us.

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]
Clearly, you didn't read my response that was a few posts above yours. If you go back and read it, you will see that in the response I said the main dining room and the buffet is offered free on every ship.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] :eek:[/QUOTE]

Yes I did. But I still ask how is it different on Carnival. As I said I can order a Steak in the MDR but I can also get Steak in the specialty restaurant. Same on RCL. The ship we were on had an Italian restaurant but we were still able to eat Italian food in the MDR. Do they serve exactly the same thing? Probably not but that style if food is still available in both venues.

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]We were on the Dream in September. For instance, they was a sushi "bar", pasta bar, the "normal" buffet style food, a burrito bar & the BBQ on the Lanai (which was excellent). There was only one for fee restaurant and that was the steakhouse.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

Will have to check it out. we look forward to trying more Carnival ships in the future. This year both cruises are on NCL.

NCL has a stir fry on most ships as well as the Blue Lagoon which serves soups, sandwiches, fish and chips, wings, etc. We love these options when coming back on board after an excursion when the MDR and buffet are changing over.

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]We were on the Dream in September. For instance, they was a sushi "bar", pasta bar, the "normal" buffet style food, a burrito bar & the BBQ on the Lanai (which was excellent). There was only one for fee restaurant and that was the steakhouse.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

When we were on the NCL Sun, they had the pasta and pizza bar and aTapas bar which were both covered as well. Almost forgot about those. I have heard the Sun did away with the pasta place on the last refurb.

back on topic I behave just like I would at any restaurant I am paying for. If I dislike my entree. because it's cooked wrong or just bad I would send it back.

However, if I ordered something and it was not as expected or I loved it I would not order another main. I just was not raised that way and not sitting in grandmas kitchen.

I have read on here of people ordering every app, two entrees,etc. Would you do that in a normal restaurant?

I feel bread,salad,main and desert is more then enough for the average person.

That being said I do pay the 200% for single and always think I should eat for two! But in all of my cruises usually with a group of 20 I have never seen anyone order more of anything but drinks and bread.

Also I usually now just go to MDR half the nights.

Archived