Wine Package - (2012 Pricing)

TriMomma

My travel buddy received this from Bon Voyage this week with the 2012 pricing for the wine package:

Bottom level is $131, next level is $153, top level is $193. Prices recently went up. If you order through Bon Voyage, you avoid paying the 15% gratuity and you don't have to select the actual wines till you get on board.

CRUISE THE VINEYARDS

Wine Package

5 Wines

Barefoot bubbly, Brut Cuvee

Copper ridge, White Zinfandel

Zonin, Pinot Grigio

Clifford Bay, Sauvignon Blanc

Barefoot, Chardonnay

Barefoot, Pinot Noir

Bogle, Merlot

Twisted, Zinfandel

Black Swan, Shiraz

Smoking Loon, Cabernet Sauvignon

Deluxe Wine Package

5 Wines

Zonin, Prosecco

Castello Del Poggio, Moscato

Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc

Schmitt Sohne, Riesling Spatlese

Kendall Jackson, vintner’s reserve,chardonnay

Murphy goode, Merlot

Concha y toro casillero del Diablo, cabernet sauvignon

Bodega santa Elena, malbec

Bordeaux, domaine barons de Rothschild lafite

Premium Wine Package

5 Wines

Paul louis, blanc de blanc

Ecco domain, pinot grigio

Ferrari-carano, fume blanc

Pouilly-fuisse, burgundy

Frei brothers, chardonnay

Kendall-Jackson, Vintner’s reserve, pinot noir

Kendall- Jackson, Vintner’s reserve, merlot

Hess select, cabernet sauvignon

Melini, chianti classic riserva

Yangarra, shiraz

I've already ordered and paid for my wine package for feb 11th cruise on Liberty. Ordered the middle category. It was 135$ I think. Should I have received a bill for the difference? Or will it having been paid for be like with gratuities and remain the same for those already bought? It's not a major difference, just wondering.

I've already ordered and paid for my wine package for feb 11th cruise on Liberty. Ordered the middle category. It was 135$ I think. Should I have received a bill for the difference? Or will it having been paid for be like with gratuities and remain the same for those already bought? It's not a major difference, just wondering.

if you've bought and paid for it already, you should not be receiving a bill for the difference. You bought at 2011 prices. You buy next week, you'll pay more. Just consider this an "early saver" rate.

Still I have to wonder why you'd pay a mark up of 250-300% on these wines as most run between $8 and $ 12 a bottle, retail. Does this include corkage as they hold in MDR for you or are they delivered to your cabin? I didn't think the markup on BV liquors delivered to the cabin was quite that much.

We did the third tier of the wine package on The Magic in October. The only reason we did it was because they had Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio which is normally about $24 a bottle at our grocery store. I really didn't have a problem with the price as it did turn out cheaper for us in the long run. We drink a lot of wine so it was cheaper than buying the bottles at the bar or in the MDR. I ordered the package on the phone before we left and when we got to our cabin there were 5 coupons that we could take to any bar or the MDR. Since we like to drink wine on our balcony we took all 5 coupons and went to the first bar we could find and got all 5 bottles. We then had our cabin steward bring us a bucket of ice every day and we drank our bottles in the cabin. We did bring a glass of wine with us to dinner and then proceeded to order more wine with our meal.

In looking at these packages it seems that they have also changed the wines that are offered. I don't see Santa Margherita which could be a problem. We will be on The Breeze in November so I guess I will have to try all the white wines listed and see if we like any of them.

if you've bought and paid for it already, you should not be receiving a bill for the difference. You bought at 2011 prices. You buy next week, you'll pay more. Just consider this an "early saver" rate.

Still I have to wonder why you'd pay a mark up of 250-300% on these wines as most run between $8 and $ 12 a bottle, retail. Does this include corkage as they hold in MDR for you or are they delivered to your cabin? I didn't think the markup on BV liquors delivered to the cabin was quite that much.

There is no corkage fees when purchasing the wine packages or individual bottles from Bon Voyage. The corkage fees only apply to wine you bring onto the ship and even that is hit or miss. It is included.

The wine is held in the MDR .. you are given the selection list and you pick which wine you want. You also have the option to carry the bottle out of the MDR.

Any wine not consumed on board can be brought home with you.

Just an FYI the middle package is not a 200-300% mark-up but rather 50% as the avg price is approx $20 per bottle total for 5 would be approx $100 and it is priced on board at $150 +/-.

So, if you break it down further the mark-up is actually the $10.per bottle corkage fee.

My travel buddy received this from Bon Voyage this week with the 2012 pricing for the wine package:

Bottom level is $131, next level is $153, top level is $193. Prices recently went up. If you order through Bon Voyage, you avoid paying the 15% gratuity and you don't have to select the actual wines till you get on board.

You never have to select the wine until you actually order it.

The coupons don't have to be used in the MDR, the can be used at the bars as well.

We have even used the coupons in the Steakhouse.

and I can make the for 3.00 a bottle..roflmao.

Nobody avoids the Spanish Inquisition, um gratuity. Those prices include the equivalent of a 15% gratuity, but not sure if it goes to your server.

Before, the bottom level was $126.5 (including gratuity) ($149.50/$189.75) so it looks like about a $4 increase per package.

CRUISE THE VINEYARDS

Wine Package

5 Wines

Barefoot bubbly, Brut Cuvee

Copper ridge, White Zinfandel

Zonin, Pinot Grigio

Clifford Bay, Sauvignon Blanc

Barefoot, Chardonnay

Barefoot, Pinot Noir

Bogle, Merlot

Twisted, Zinfandel

Black Swan, Shiraz

Smoking Loon, Cabernet Sauvignon

Deluxe Wine Package

5 Wines

Zonin, Prosecco

Castello Del Poggio, Moscato

Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc

Schmitt Sohne, Riesling Spatlese

Kendall Jackson, vintner’s reserve,chardonnay

Murphy goode, Merlot

Concha y toro casillero del Diablo, cabernet sauvignon

Bodega santa Elena, malbec

Bordeaux, domaine barons de Rothschild lafite

Premium Wine Package

5 Wines

Paul louis, blanc de blanc

Ecco domain, pinot grigio

Ferrari-carano, fume blanc

Pouilly-fuisse, burgundy

Frei brothers, chardonnay

Kendall-Jackson, Vintner’s reserve, pinot noir

Kendall- Jackson, Vintner’s reserve, merlot

Hess select, cabernet sauvignon

Melini, chianti classic riserva

Yangarra, shiraz

I would jsut get the wines I wanted at the bar as most of these wine are mutiparables.. Shiraz goes with red meats as weel and spicy foods, the riesling Spatlese is one of the best wines to drink with salty foods, Pinot grigo goes with chicken, fish and seafood, Pinot noir covers the rest of the spectrum of foods offered usually on board..now if you could mix and match from each package I would sign up for it. otherwise I am bringing my 2 bottles per person on board( that I can make for 3.00 a bottle)and buy what I really want on board..

I am level 2 wine expert and I drink alot of different wines from all verital regions of the world.. the selection offer here is more then substantial to cover all tastes..but remember everybodies palettes are different and one persone will love a chianti and another will find it so acidic that they can't drink it.. as for the off dry wines.. some will love them ,some will hate them..I would recommend the wine tasting on board for 15.00 pp it is great way to find out what your palette likes..

Cheers /Salut'

Just an FYI the middle package is not a 200-300% mark-up but rather 50% as the avg price is approx $20 per bottle total for 5 would be approx $100 and it is priced on board at $150 +/-.

So, if you break it down further the mark-up is actually the $10.per bottle corkage fee.

Not sure what wine store you visit, but in the middle package, I certainly wouldn't pay $20 retail for Zonin Prosseco. And I've seen Oyster Bay in groceries at $11 and Concha y Toro in Walmart at $9. I do understand wine markup at restaurants and can see some if these are held in MDR. Just saying $30 a bottle for a $9 average everyday type wine is a bit stiff.

I would jsut get the wines I wanted at the bar as most of these wine are mutiparables.. Shiraz goes with red meats as weel and spicy foods, the riesling Spatlese is one of the best wines to drink with salty foods, Pinot grigo goes with chicken, fish and seafood, Pinot noir covers the rest of the spectrum of foods offered usually on board..now if you could mix and match from each package I would sign up for it. otherwise I am bringing my 2 bottles per person on board( that I can make for 3.00 a bottle)and buy what I really want on board..

I am level 2 wine expert and I drink alot of different wines from all verital regions of the world.. the selection offer here is more then substantial to cover all tastes..but remember everybodies palettes are different and one persone will love a chianti and another will find it so acidic that they can't drink it.. as for the off dry wines.. some will love them ,some will hate them..I would recommend the wine tasting on board for 15.00 pp it is great way to find out what your palette likes..

Cheers /Salut'

Hi pkrchr - check your cruise docs - I think it's one 750ml bottle of wine per person - might have to give it away if you bring too many bottles... or hand them to the person behind you in the security line!!

Just wouldn't want you to have an unpleasant surprise...

Hi pkrchr - check your cruise docs - I think it's one 750ml bottle of wine per person - might have to give it away if you bring too many bottles... or hand them to the person behind you in the security line!!

Just wouldn't want you to have an unpleasant surprise...

thanks for the heads up Margie.. we play by the rules and only bring in 1 750 ml bottle pp of legal drinking age..hey crew maybe we should pass a bottle or 1 off at the port bahahahaha..

We did the third tier of the wine package on The Magic in October. The only reason we did it was because they had Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio which is normally about $24 a bottle at our grocery store. I really didn't have a problem with the price as it did turn out cheaper for us in the long run. We drink a lot of wine so it was cheaper than buying the bottles at the bar or in the MDR. I ordered the package on the phone before we left and when we got to our cabin there were 5 coupons that we could take to any bar or the MDR. Since we like to drink wine on our balcony we took all 5 coupons and went to the first bar we could find and got all 5 bottles. We then had our cabin steward bring us a bucket of ice every day and we drank our bottles in the cabin. We did bring a glass of wine with us to dinner and then proceeded to order more wine with our meal.

In looking at these packages it seems that they have also changed the wines that are offered. I don't see Santa Margherita which could be a problem. We will be on The Breeze in November so I guess I will have to try all the white wines listed and see if we like any of them.

we love santa margarita and always bought the premium pkg. the ecco is just ok I hope this is just some mis imformation and santa is available in some form or another

You're comparing apples to oranges, the prices need to be compared to a nice restaurant or resort, not the local liquor store on your street.

You're comparing apples to oranges, the prices need to be compared to a nice restaurant or resort, not the local liquor store on your street.

In Canada a Mosel Valley Gewurtraminer will run you up to 40 a bottle in the liquor store on the ship it will be closer to 60.. a Spanish Rioja..one of the best kept secrets from CCL.. it is really high oak intesity red wine.. is priced( as of last year) at 17.50 a bottle..that is cheap:eek:really really cheap:eek:.. until they figure how good it really is.. then watch the prices go up...guess which one I'm ordering :p..

If you want to compare wine prices in a nice restaurant lets try Remingtons steak house here( not to sure if anyone knows what they are but they are a 5 star restaurant..)ok that said..a Black Opal shiraz( CCL sells these too..) CCL sells these for 30 per bottle.. Remingtons is 22 slight mark up.. an italian PG.. on CCL will run you from 26-40 per bottle..Remingtons..17-28.. slight mark up..

fFor me.. I would rather make my own.. it saves me big time..and then follow the rules set out by CCL.

Not sure what wine store you visit, but in the middle package, I certainly wouldn't pay $20 retail for Zonin Prosseco. And I've seen Oyster Bay in groceries at $11 and Concha y Toro in Walmart at $9. I do understand wine markup at restaurants and can see some if these are held in MDR. Just saying $30 a bottle for a $9 average everyday type wine is a bit stiff.

While this remain true. Although I have never purchased wine at my local Walmart. Avoid the place like the plaque if at all possible.

What you are comparing the prices to remains moot since CCL will not allow a person to carry-on 5 bottles of wine.

The debate about the price of the wines themselves set aside if I understand correctly:

1. You can purchase the wine package from the BV department pre-cruise and this avoids the %15 gratuity thus saving some money?

2. I looked online couldn't find the packages, is this one I have to call them on?

3. If I purchase today (12/28/2011) for my cruise on 1/8/12, I will be charged the 2011 prices?

Thanks for any clarification, we always buy the middle package so if I can save $15 or so plus gratuity that would be nice.

Thanks again.

we love santa margarita and always bought the premium pkg. the ecco is just ok I hope this is just some mis imformation and santa is available in some form or another

I totally argree with you on the Ecco. My DH used to drink it all the time and then got tired of it. I really hope that they have the SM but if not then we will probably do the Ecco.

Can someone clarify how the wine packages work? New to cruising and would love more info about this!

You select the package of your choice, charge to your Sail and Sign card and receive 5 tickets (or 3 if on a shorter cruise). Each time you want a bottle of wine, exchange 1 of the tickets for a bottle of your choice from the group you paid for. Drink the wine. Repeat, as necessary.

We went to the Formalities shop and selected 5 bottles of wine from the lists.

They were all delivered to our room later that day, along with 3 red and 3 white wine glasses and two corkscrews.

Some made it to the dining room intact.

gary

Archived