Choice of suites on riviera

cruzadict

We are taking a PH3 on Marina next year because of the comments and photos posted on CC showing the large overhang above the balcony on suites on deck 11. The overhang blocks out some of the sky. Not a real big deal but I am told the view is better from deck 9 suites.

We always take PH3 on the 9th floor since we have heard too many complaints about the noise of chairs scraping about (from the pool deck) on the 10th floor.

You must be thinking about the R ships, the Pool is on deck 12 on the Marina/Riviera. ;)

023441.jpg

After much deliberation we have decided to book Riviera for Xmas/ New Year 2012. We have a choice of PH3 on either deck 7 or deck 9 or PH 1 on deck 11. Does anyone who has sailed on Marina have any advice on these suites.

IMO, the advantages of the PH1s on deck 11 are close proximity to the Executive Lounge and having just a quick one deck walk up to the pool deck on deck 12 (though this can be a disadvantage as well if noise is a problem). If still available you might consider a PH2 on deck 11 forward for proximity to the executive lounge and having suites above you rather than the pool deck.

If proximity to the lounge is not a priority, the aftmost (if that's a word) PH3's on deck 7 (7130, 7135) offer large wrap around decks, excellent for sailaways and having drinks with friends (thank you Alison!).

I don't see any particular advantage to the other PH3's on deck 7 or the ones on deck 9, maybe someone who been in them can add something.

I don't think proximity to the Executive Lounge should be a consideration.

It is useful to get a quick cup of coffee but little else. It is quite small and was often overcrowd since there is nothing to prevent any passenger in any cabin from using it (perhaps that will change -- it should).

Any penthouse on Marina or Riviera is a dream of a cabin - regardless of location.

there is nothing to prevent any passenger in any cabin from using it (perhaps that will change -- it should).

Two points:

1) I've always wondered why the Suite Lounge is used at ALL, since everything that is available there may also be gotten through ones butler. Nothing at all like HAL where you need to run down the hall to pick up all your amenities. :(

2) One if the things that I like most about Oceania is that those people who might be the "sneaking into the Suite Lounge" type are not on the ship!

064447.jpg

the aftmost (if that's a word) PH3's on deck 7 (7130, 7135) offer large wrap around decks, excellent for sailaways and having drinks with friends (thank you Alison!).

While that is true, the cabins themselves ARE noticeably smaller than the regular PH3 (esp. the closet space).

To each his/her own - larger balcony or larger cabin - that is your choice :D

[quote

One if the things that I like most about Oceania is that those people who might be the "sneaking into the Suite Lounge" type are not on the ship!

You were not on our sailing! LOL

Probably not, but since no one checks who is there we really don't know. And you don't have to "sneak" in. You just open the door and go in like everyone else. There is nothing on the door that says, "Suite passengers only."

If I want a latte at 5am while my husband is sleeping I am probably not going to call the butler. I'm just going to throw on my sweats and get it.

While that is true, the cabins themselves ARE noticeably smaller than the regular PH3 (esp. the closet space).

To each his/her own - larger balcony or larger cabin - that is your choice :D

If i were able to get cabins 7130 or 7035 I would take them regardless of the smaller cabin. If these were not available we usually book a PH3 on Deck 10. No noise from above or below and you do not get the overhang shade on the balcony that occurs on Deck 11. Either way you can't beat the PH's on Marina, I find them the perfect cabin.

You were not on our sailing! LOL

Probably not, but since no one checks who is there we really don't know. And you don't have to "sneak" in. You just open the door and go in like everyone else. There is nothing on the door that says, "Suite passengers only."

I wonder how you can tell who are Suite guests & who are not??

With close to 150 cabins (300 people) that ARE allowed access how do you know they are the lower class cabin passengers sneaking in?

I wanted to post another perspective on the PH2 suites on Deck 11 and the deck 12 overhang. We upgraded to a PH2 on our September cruise and did not find the overhang to be a problem at all (we were in cabin 11006). In fact, it provided additional shade on a cruise that was filled with abundant sunshine and 90+ degree days and we spent as much time on our veranda as possible. The PH2 suites are forward and below other suites, so there is not a concern for noise and you are only one deck below the pool deck. We booked another cruise next year on Marina and have the starboard side PH2 that is the "mirror" location (11007).

I wonder how you can tell who are Suite guests & who are not??

With close to 150 cabins (300 people) that ARE allowed access how do you know they are the lower class cabin passengers sneaking in?

I don't -- that is my point. I did not say people were sneaking in. I am simply saying that there is no way to know who goes in there -- Oceania does not know either and does not seem to care. There is no bar to entry for any passenger on the ship. It is just another venue with coffee and refreshments. And you need not "sneak" in. The door is open and the refreshments are there.

The only time there would be a "restriction" is the use of the Executive concierge. She was hidden behind a half wall and would have no way of knowing whether those who enter are suite passengers or not. She only asked for a cabin number if you used her services.

My point is simple. There is no key entry, no bar to entry for anyone, no stateroom id required -- anyone can just walk in. You get can into that lounge the same way you get into the buffet -- walk right in. I think O should change that so that those passengers who believe they are paying for something "special" get what they paid for. The same was true for the private sun deck. Anyone could use it. No stateroom key or other proof of being in Concierge Class or higher required.

I think that I'm going to have to agree with Laraine on this one.

If Oceania deems fit to advertise certain perquisites for the passenger who cares to pay for a Suite, then they need to stop pretending that the ship is entirely a one class society.

I don't -- that is my point. I did not say people were sneaking in. I am simply saying that there is no way to know who goes in there -- Oceania does not know either and does not seem to care. There is no bar to entry for any passenger on the ship. It is just another venue with coffee and refreshments. And you need not "sneak" in. The door is open and the refreshments are there.

I wonder how many passengers "not entitled" would bother seeking out the lounge just to get the refreshments there :confused:

I know I would not make the trip YMMV

Maybe some decks should be off limits to those in the lower cabin Cat

This forum is starting to sound like some of the luxury line forums :eek:

Lyn

This forum is starting to sound like some of the luxury line forums :eek:

Lyn

Oh no!

I did find a guy in his bathrobe sleeping on the sofa there at 5am. I guess his wife threw him out of the suite (or the inside cabin) - who knows.

It is not a significant perk IMO but it is a good place to grab a latte in the middle of the night.

I don't --

My point is simple. There is no key entry, no bar to entry for anyone, no stateroom id required -- anyone can just walk in. You get can into that lounge the same way you get into the buffet -- walk right in. I think O should change that so that those passengers who believe they are paying for something "special" get what they paid for. The same was true for the private sun deck. Anyone could use it. No stateroom key or other proof of being in Concierge Class or higher required.

Are you saying it's a joke? Yes, I believe it is.

The perks for Suites on O are really very limitted but most of us pay for the extra space and that's what we get.:)

For right now it's a fiction

But I did put this in my comments (and someone sent them directly to FDR) and I believe O will figure out that it is a bad business practice to have some guests "pay" for a benefit that everyone on board can have at no charge.

Archived