transferring video footage from camcorder

lorrdean

we have a FLIP camcorder, which has a built in 8GB memory - good for 2hrs filming. once this is full we would like to transfer the data onto a thumb drive, clear the camcorder memory, and start all over again. So our question is, apart from taking the lap top with us, can we use the on board internet center to do this? if not does anyone have any other suggestions?

many thanks in advance :)

we have a FLIP camcorder, which has a built in 8GB memory - good for 2hrs filming. once this is full we would like to transfer the data onto a thumb drive, clear the camcorder memory, and start all over again. So our question is, apart from taking the lap top with us, can we use the on board internet center to do this? if not does anyone have any other suggestions?

I always bring two 8GB memory cards.

I don't have that kind of a video...but I travel alot with photo and video cameras. To be sure I have positive control of my pics, I bring my small netbook to transfer images into. So, I'm thinking you may have to bring the laptop. Perhaps someone who knows for sure the type of computer the ship you will be on and the download capability, etc may be able to testify to its reliability. Another thought would be go to the local computer store with your camera and see if there is a small storage system to transfer your images to like one of those pocket size hard drives. On the other hand, do an experiment with some around the house video and try using a stick or small hard drive and then upload to your computer. Good luck.

You cannot use the guest computers on board to transfer any data. No peripheral connections (USB, CD, DVD, etc.) are accessible. I'd say taking your own laptop is the best bet.

If I recall....the photo center on board the ship has a facility that will allow you to download your digital camera memory to a CD. You might be able to do the same with your video memory. I do not recall the cost for this service.

anyone please

Not really any way to do it on the ship's computers. They don't allow access to the USB ports due to virus issues.

Laptop may be the only solution because of the Flip's handy but USB-only connector.

We take a little $300 netbook along for things like this. USB ports and a fairly large hard drive makes it a handy photo tool as well as a handy viewer.

Dave

You cannot use the guest computers on board to transfer any data. No peripheral connections (USB, CD, DVD, etc.) are accessible. I'd say taking your own laptop is the best bet.

Find a fellow traveller who has a laptop and buy him a drink :D

Be careful about the size of the video. All 8 GB devices may not be exactly the same size. transfer before you fill up the built in memory completely.

thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated as always. what about internet cafes in the ports, do they have accessible usb ports?

Not sure, but if they did I would be hesitant to use them for the same virus-related reasons.

Dave

Archived