HAL's Poor Upgrade Policy

Darrell6t

We're back. We are happy about the cabin we received. The cruise was relatively calm. The Veendam seems to handle rocking quite well so that was fine even though we were fairly close to the aft. The rolling was a different issue, but the stabilizers manage to keep that under fairly good control unless it is really bad. I am sure we felt more motion than the cabins 4 decks down, but it was not bad up on Deck 10. And of course the extra room and the verandah was wonderful. We also had a great steward team in Yan & Sam.

So I was wrong to be too upset. It all turned out well and I must thank HAL fpr what they upgraded us to. I still think they should ask first though. And I would have turned it down, and never known what I had missed out on by having a verandah. The public decks were closed on several occasions because of wind, but we could still go out on the verandah. It was just too cold to ever sit out there until the last few days, but it was useful for a quick look at the beauty of Antarctica when we weren't out on one of the public decks.

When the weather warmed up, we started having the issue of chairs and feet just above our heads early in the morning. That's why I avoid the deck immediately under the Lido deck. But for most of the cruise, there was nothing going on up there early as it was just too cold.

I'm so glad you came back and reported on how the cabin worked for you. Surprises after planning so carefully can be very unsettling, but it's good to know you were able to enjoy both your cruise and your verandah.

I'm really glad to hear that it turned so out well for you and that you enjoyed the cabin and veranda. We enjoyed our cruise on the Veendam but it was to Bermuda and the Atlantic was as calm as we have ever had on a cruise. Our Panama Canal cruise was a different story - incredibly rough rocking with the bow slamming down one night all night long. But we still really enjoyed that cruise:).

I very much want to thank you for coming back and telling us about your cruise and verandah, many times we never hear the end result. You may find that you will really like being toward the aft of the ship ;) It is actually my favorite location. I am fine with mid ship but love the aft :D

I very much want to thank you for coming back and telling us about your cruise and verandah, many times we never hear the end result. You may find that you will really like being toward the aft of the ship ;) It is actually my favorite location. I am fine with mid ship but love the aft :D

Yes, I too want to thank you for coming back. You would be surprised how many people come on here for either advice or to make comments, but never return to let us know what they decided or how things turned out.

Glad you enjoyed your cabin. Will you be doing a review?

Archived