Just off Magic....avoid Galveston at all costs!

salcruizer

Just off the magic and we'll post a more detailed review later....the ship and service was much better than expected but Galveston port can not handle a ship the size of the magic. It's a shame because the ship was great. We were 4 hours late because of fog...even though it was sunny all morning. We didn't dock until 10:30 and that's when the disaster started. Mobs everywhere with no direction from the on board crew. They seemed to be hung over from the new years eve party. Many of us missed flights even though they were well after the suggested departure time. They could care less. Even with the four hour fog delay we would have made our flight if not for the incompetence of the ships staff and port staff Once inside the terminal it got worse. Luggage came off the ship in random order and the port staff was clueless and helpless. Porters tried their best but it was useless. We just searched through hand trucks of bags in a free for all. We were VIP with early departure and we were in the terminal for 2 plus hours searching. Once finally outside there were no taxis and hundreds of people fighting for shuttles and cabs as if we just arrived in a third world port.

I write this for those of you considering Galveston. Think twice. Have been through dozens of other ports and Galveston is by far the worst. Even on embarkation, with no delay, it was miserable. I also write this because over the years I've read these reviews and always taken them with a grain of salt. However, the other comments on these boards about fog are true....we just experienced it and we're told it's a real/recurring problem. It's not just fog in the area but low level fog that closes the port. Given the 2 hr drive to IAH and the inept port staff it's not a good port unless you can drive.

Just off the magic and we'll post a more detailed review later....the ship and service was much better than expected but Galveston port can not handle a ship the size of the magic. It's a shame because the ship was great. We were 4 hours late because of fog...even though it was sunny all morning. We didn't dock until 10:30 and that's when the disaster started. Mobs everywhere with no direction from the on board crew. They seemed to be hung over from the new years eve party. Many of us missed flights even though they were well after the suggested departure time. They could care less. Even with the four hour fog delay we would have made our flight if not for the incompetence of the ships staff and port staff Once inside the terminal it got worse. Luggage came off the ship in random order and the port staff was clueless and helpless. Porters tried their best but it was useless. We just searched through hand trucks of bags in a free for all. We were VIP with early departure and we were in the terminal for 2 plus hours searching. Once finally outside there were no taxis and hundreds of people fighting for shuttles and cabs as if we just arrived in a third world port.

I write this for those of you considering Galveston. Think twice. Have been through dozens of other ports and Galveston is by far the worst. Even on embarkation, with no delay, it was miserable. I also write this because over the years I've read these reviews and always taken them with a grain of salt. However, the other comments on these boards about fog are true....we just experienced it and we're told it's a real/recurring problem. It's not just fog in the area but low level fog that closes the port. Given the 2 hr drive to IAH and the inept port staff it's not a good port unless you can drive.

We sailed from Galveston once.. in 2006 and will never sail from there again.. embark and debark was the worst ever... sorry you had to experience it too.. but YES FOG is why the Magic was delayed even tho is was sunny it wasn't the day before.. therefore the back log... Glad you enjoyed your sail tho;)

I read half a dozen reviews the other day about Galveston. Everyone said it had improved and loved the ship. We have it already booked. Nothing we can do now. It will be probably our first and last one in Galveston. I am sorry we booked it with all the rules costing so much money. We will surely go back to Florida our next cruise. Too late to change. Maybe it was a bad day which is what I am hoping.

Sorry you had a bad experience in Galveston:(, but glad you enjoyed the Magic:).

Sorry that you had to deal with all of those issues! I was on the US-Inauguration of the Magic in November, and I had the complete different experience than you.

I was at IAH by 9:15am, and I had stopped for breakfast at Cracker Barrel along the way. To this day, it was the easiest disembarkation.

Joanne

My first trip was out of Galveston in 2010, I don't recall any problems either coming or going. Miami was last year and again, no problems. We are going to get to the dock at noon in Galveston, the first time we took two tour buses and were about 30 minutes before they set sail! Maybe I didn't know enough about what is supposed to happen, there were lines in Galveston and Miami. There are lines at the grocery store, so I figured over a thousand people in one place at the same time will cause a line or two. I didn't know what to expect either, so maybe that is why I didn't note whether things did or didn't go smoothly. I will try to pay attention this time, I bet festivities from the night before could have an effect on people.

I have sailed out of Galveston many times and never had a problem. Its the best port I have ever sailed out of.

sailed a number of times out of Galveston with no issues. Fog can cause trouble no matter because you have everyone trying to get on and everyone trying to get off and getting off before they are ready for you to debark. If the ship docked at 10:00 then the expectation would be that the earliest anyone could get off would be 11:30 or so which means if you had a flight before 3:00 you can't make it. Just because you are late coming in doesn't change the amount of time it takes the crew to get things done. And yes people become anxious but it doesn't mean that the people at the port were clueless or that they could care less ....

Any port is hit or miss I'd think, though I've encountered issues with debark. My impression of Carnival is they have the right amount of people to barely handle the usual. If something happens UNusual .. they handle it very poorly and make poor judgement calls.

Carnival doesnt do problems well, but they do have the best value cruise for the price. You just know this going in if you ask me.

I've sailed out of Galveston 11 times and find debarkation to be no more of an issue than at any other port that I've returned to. In fact, since the changes to pier 23 have been completed, both the embarkation and debarkation process has become more organized.

The zones are clearly marked to help you find your luggage, if you've bothered to wait until your zone has been called :rolleyes: the shoreside agents are very good at making sure that everyone has the properly filled out documents before they are allowed into the customs lines. (That in the past has been the biggest cause for delay :cool:)

The customs lines are well staffed and designated to separate US and non-US citizens as well as those useing a passport or BC....it makes that part of the process much smoother and quicker.

And once you get outside there are clearly marked signs that direct you to various shuttles or taxi queue's. I take a taxi to my car and I don't think that I've ever seen less than 12 taxi's standing by....

I hope that everyone gets to experience sailing out of Galveston. It's a great island destination for a little pre-cruise vacation. I always go at least a day in advance, just to have time to revisit all of my favorite spots along the seawall and downtown on the Strand.......

I'll be back down there in about 60 days and can't wait for my 1st plate of shrimp kisses.........

I've sailed out of Galveston 11 times and find debarkation to be no more of an issue than at any other port that I've returned to. In fact, since the changes to pier 23 have been completed, both the embarkation and debarkation process has become more organized.

The zones are clearly marked to help you find your luggage, if you've bothered to wait until your zone has been called :rolleyes: the shoreside agents are very good at making sure that everyone has the properly filled out documents before they are allowed into the customs lines. (That in the past has been the biggest cause for delay :cool:)

The customs lines are well staffed and designated to separate US and non-US citizens as well as those useing a passport or BC....it makes that part of the process much smoother and quicker.

And once you get outside there are clearly marked signs that direct you to various shuttles or taxi queue's. I take a taxi to my car and I don't think that I've ever seen less than 12 taxi's standing by....

I hope that everyone gets to experience sailing out of Galveston. It's a great island destination for a little pre-cruise vacation. I always go at least a day in advance, just to have time to revisit all of my favorite spots along the seawall and downtown on the Strand.......

I'll be back down there in about 60 days and can't wait for my 1st plate of shrimp kisses.........

OP clearly stated he/she was VIP with priority debark.:rolleyes:

We, too, just got off the Magic today. Our experience was a bit different than the OP. We weren't bothered by the fog delay but we drove and didn't have to worry about flight issues. We actually sat outside and watched the all the different ships/freighters also waiting... It was actually kinda neat.

We didn't feel like the port or ship staff were incompetent. If anything, it was the guests that were creating the issues. People were agitated, irritated, and probably a little impatient. The crew, however, repeatedly were on the intercom system providing updates and asking people to avoid the gangway until called. It sounded as though many, many people were ignoring that request... Which then made for a crowded mess.

It was a little chaotic in the terminal but, again, that was due, in large part, to the guests...not the staff. Those traveling with passports made it through customs clearance extremely quickly...at least compared to those of us traveling with birth certificates. The port staff were very clear, repeatedly, in their instructions of who belonged in which lines...but people were trying to hurry and were going through the quick moving passport line...only to be moved out bc they had birth certificates, not passports. Or, they were trying to cut in front of other people that had already been waiting in the slow moving birth certificate line... And that led to anger and security having to intervene a few times.

We did learn today that paying a little extra for a porter gets you right up to the customs line and helps you avoid the passport & birth certificate lines! That's definitely what we'll do next time!

OP clearly stated he/she was VIP with priority debark.:rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to the OP specifically but passengers in general who haven't waited until their zone number has been called.

There are only 2 forms of VIP debarkation the self assist goes 1st, then general self assist (which these days is easily 1/3 of the guests), and then VIP Zone 1 tags.

The OP made it sound like they had trouble finding their bags, so I'm assumeing that they were not doing self assist and may very well have tried to disembark prior to Zone 1 being called.

At any rate with the ship being late back to the pier, I'm sure many more people found themselves needing to get off the ship as soon as possible and very likely Zone jumping was rampant.

I have not had any problems with Galveston. Granted it has only been 3 cruised but has not been bad. The worst was last time on Conquest, but it was also Crew Check so we were delayed for that and then had a hard time finding a porter. That was not Carnival's fault but the Port of Galveston.

Some people need to understand that Carnival does not control the weather, nor if the port pilot will allow the ship to dock. Once the ship docks and is cleared by customs, their "job" is done. The removing of the luggage, the placing it in the zones, and the debarkation is then run by the port with the CD, or one of the crew making the debark announcements.

Cruise out of Galveston in 3 weeks.

I have read good and bad reviews about Galveston port.

No sense worrying about what ifs and things that may not happen, based on others experiences.

Can't wait for our cruise on the Magic. :D

There is a really nice cruise terminal in Laporte Tx, Carnival used after Hurricane Ike hit Galveston. We sailed on Conquest leaving out of Laporte. (Houston Port Authority). It was so much nicer, bigger & updated than the Galveston port. I am not sure why it is not offered as a sailing port.

We've cruised out of Galveston 9 times, and we've had a problem with disembarkation only once. We were on the Voyager when it returned on Easter Sunday, and the port was short-staffed, which really slowed things down. I wonder if the holiday today was part of the problem?

There is a really nice cruise terminal in Laporte Tx, Carnival used after Hurricane Ike hit Galveston. We sailed on Conquest leaving out of Laporte. (Houston Port Authority). It was so much nicer, bigger & updated than the Galveston port. I am not sure why it is not offered as a sailing port.

I wish they would but it would cost the cruise lines more in fuel and pilot fees.

I think the problem is the additional time needed to reach the Gulf (and open the casinos, shops, etc). When you sail out of Galveston, you're in the Gulf in under an hour. When you sail out of Houston, you have to add several hours to the transit. (My son the merchant marine cadet hates sailing out of Houston - but he loves Galveston.;))

We were delayed on Conquest last year returning to Galveston thanks to the fog. Even though we booked the latest flight possible, we missed our flight and had to spend the night in Houston. (Not the end of the world, but DH and I lost a day's vacation and sons lost a day from school.) We had no problems in the terminal at Galveston - we collected our bags and were through Customs in no time.

Archived