san juan departure

mbbrick

can any body tell me if there is a duty free at the terminal where princess departs and if you can get bottles of wine there? would save me a trip to costco.Leaving in feb with caribbean princes.

After you and your hand luggage go through port security at the entrance to Pan Am Pier, you'll check in at the terminal desks. From there, turn around and a small liquor store is a few steps away. Not a great selection of wines, plenty of the hard stuff. The sales staff is very helpful in assisting you in packing liquor in your hand carry bags. No further security checks beyond this point, just the photo and cruise card as your enter the ship. A crew member will be sitting, very alone, waiting for pax to volunteer to give up their liquor purchases.

The store does not sell mixers or non-alcoholic beverages. However, when you stop at various ports along the way, no problem with coming aboard with additional wine or sodas.

Darcy

Princess departs from the Pan American pier. There was a liquor store inside the terminal. It had a lousy wine selection & nothing was a bargain. If you care about what you drink, bring it from home. If convenience is the controlling factor you can buy wine at Walgreens all over the island. Seriously.

After you and your hand luggage go through port security at the entrance to Pan Am Pier, you'll check in at the terminal desks. From there, turn around and a small liquor store is a few steps away. Not a great selection of wines, plenty of the hard stuff. The sales staff is very helpful in assisting you in packing liquor in your hand carry bags. No further security checks beyond this point, just the photo and cruise card as your enter the ship. A crew member will be sitting, very alone, waiting for pax to volunteer to give up their liquor purchases.

The store does not sell mixers or non-alcoholic beverages. However, when you stop at various ports along the way, no problem with coming aboard with additional wine or sodas.

Darcy

We bought eight packs of Diet Coke at the store.

Darcy

Darcy- Not sure when you went through but when we sailed in 2010 the liquor store was after check-in but before security they also sold sodas and water. In any event, the selection of wine is beyond lousy and I would advise anyone to have their cab stop at CVS, Walgreens or any grocery store on the way from the airport.

I went through Pan Am in December of 2011. As you entered the building, you went through the baggage and personal security system. From there, you did the cruise check in at the counter, made purchases at the liquor store, and then went up the ramp to board the ship. As you entered the ship, you placed your cruise card into the slot, had your pix taken, and went to your stateroom. There was NO additional xray system in place once you did the initial check upon entering the building. Since I was on a B2B, had to get off the ship on Sunday morning, walked to the waiting area beyond security, then back on the ship. I saw many pax who did the same procedure stop at the liquor store and purchase additional wines/liquor.

Darcy

Darcy- Not sure when you went through but when we sailed in 2010 the liquor store was after check-in but before security they also sold sodas and water. In any event, the selection of wine is beyond lousy and I would advise anyone to have their cab stop at CVS, Walgreens or any grocery store on the way from the airport.

Doug, the wines carried at CVS and Walgreens shouldn't even be allowed to be called wine. I found the grocery store selections in Puerto Rico to be marginal but was able to find a bottle or two there. OP, I'd just go to your local wine shop and buy a couple of decent bottles and ask them for a two bottle shipper--they'll probably give it to you for free. You can check those on the plane and each Canadian citizen over 21 can bring a bottle to the US duty free. Then just buy your soft drinks at the store at the pier. Problem solved.

Darcy......could you expand a little on the procedure for getting off and then getting back on ? Did you wait long ? Were you able to go back into the duty free store....or was it open that early ?

We'll be doing the same in Feb.

Thanks !!

Ohio Jane

Jane, the procedure for B2B on turn around day was relatively easy. Here goes......

The day prior, we received a flyer with specific info and the NEW cards for the next voyage. Those of us who were doing the B2B were instructed to meet in Club Fusion on Sunday morning. Once everyone else was off the ship, we were directed to put our "old" cards into the slot and exit the ship. We were guided to the waiting area inside the terminal. Sat around, a little bored, kept hearing "in a few minutes" more like about 45 minutes, then told we could go back on the ship. We by-passed the check in counters; some pax stopped for liquor, then walked up the the ramp. We waited a short time in line while everyone did another pax photo for ship's security and to activate the key card as we got on the ship. It was nice to be on board so early.

For those pax who want to go into OSJ, you can exit the ship earlier, then re-board later in the day. In that case, you WILL be required to go through the full security check as you enter the Pan Am Pier building.

I agree, the wine selection was pathetic and prices were on the high side at DF. DH bough vodka and gin - they did not have any vermouth! I bought one bottle of wine not impressed with the taste. Seriously, it was about $25. and the only way to make it drinkable was to mix it with the free Princess champagne - gross, huh?

Darcy

Yes, there is a duty free shop right there at the pier. Liquors are a tad cheaper at the duty free, wine (as is the case even in St Thomas where liquor is a LOT less expensive) is not a bargain. Once in St Thomas I asked why wines were not comparatively as inexpensive as hard liquor was and I was told "because wine has a shorter shelf life". That made no sense to me, but that's what I was told. And yes..... PR is part of the US, but if you are getting on a ship and going to other islands, you are leaving the US, so you are entitled to buy duty free. And as an above posted stated, the wine selection at that duty free in PR is not very good.

Archived